PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Station Stand

Stu in Tokyo
13th July 2007, 11:53 PM
I've been noodling this one for a long time (OK, sometimes I'm a bit slow), and this is what I came up with...........

50543 50544 50545
Side.............Front...........Back

The old wheel will be filled with concrete, for weight, I don not expect to move it around much, so tilting it and rolling it on the wheel should be fine.

I use the slow speed grinder, for sharpening my turning tools, among other things, and the older Delta high speed grinder for my brown Tripoli buffing and for honing on the MDF disk.

Let me make one thing very clear, with the MDF honing disk, the disk has to be traveling up, away from you, the exact opposite of a normal grinder, that is why it is mounted the way it is.

I've yet to properly field test it, but it looks promising.

Comments etc welcome!

Cheers!

m2c1Iw
13th July 2007, 11:57 PM
Stu, very cool and thanks been thinking of something similiar but recon youv'e nailed it.
Cheers Mike

Stu in Tokyo
14th July 2007, 12:09 AM
Stu, very cool and thanks been thinking of something similiar but recon youv'e nailed it.
Cheers Mike

Hey Mike, I guess great minds think alike :D :rolleyes:

Stu in Tokyo
14th July 2007, 06:17 AM
The other pics were just a mock up, now I've got it done! :2tsup:

Here is the frame that will go under the grinders platform

Here are the grinders mounted!

50572 50573
and two pics of the bracket that attaches the vertical mount for the back machine to the platform.

Works great!

Cheers!

OGYT
14th July 2007, 09:47 AM
That surely looks like a well made rig! How'd you get so smart so young? :D

JDarvall
14th July 2007, 10:09 AM
It looks good. Clever. As long as its not too top heavy. You want to minimize vibration. uno, don't want that blade jumping around a bit on the wheels.

But, please, definetly change those grinding wheels over for white ones. AlO. Make life a lot easier. You'll want to sharpen tools often, rather than put it off.

Doughboy
14th July 2007, 10:17 AM
Now Stu you need to 'fess up here. You a engineer? Civil or uncivil......

Either way you are one can-do fella. Well done on your grinding set up.

Hardenfast
14th July 2007, 11:01 AM
Very cool Stu! I've gained great ideas and inspiration from every one of your posts (as I have from many of the regular contributors) - including your YouTube videos, particularly your chisel sharpening jig. Gonna make me one of them!

Many thanks for sharing your ideas & experiences. However, I'm a little like OGYT and Doughboy in wondering what your background is and how you came to be so versatile with metalwork, woodwork etc?

Nosey bastardos, aren't we? In any case, well done! Just when I think I've got my workshop just about right, someone here comes up with another of these "must have" ideas. The great thing about yours is that they always seem to be something that can be knocked up out of sundry bits and pieces, provided one is somewhat handy. Most excellent and also most daunting!

rsser
14th July 2007, 02:30 PM
Nifty Stu.

Land of origami maybe has inspired you ;-}

So there's a car with three wheels trying to get around your neighbourhood?

Stu in Tokyo
14th July 2007, 03:07 PM
Why thanks Gents! :B

Al, I'm not that young, 43, OK, I'm not that old either :q

I grew up in a fairly small town, you often had to make do with what you had on hand, my Dad, my uncles and my Grandfathers did this VERY well, I just sort of watched and used my head. I got lucky in that I was ALWAYS encouraged to go out to the workshop, the shed, and have at it. I rode dirt bikes, I kept busting them (and me) so my Dad got fed up, bought me the shop manual for the bike, and a basic set of tools and told me to fix it if I broke it, I had to pay for my own parts too :D Well, by the time I was 15, I could rebuild a 2-smoke 175cc motor in about 30 minutes, I even replaced busted second gear cogs on my transmission. From there I went on to trucks, stuffing a 2L motor in a 69 Datsun that had a 1300 cc motor at one time, big block Camaros for the 1/4 mile etc etc........

I worked a lot of jobs, most of them crap, but I got lucky and worked for/with some VERY talented guys, guys who took the time to teach a young punk like me the right way of doing stuff, and were not worried if I made a mistake or two along the way. I worked with several guys that would make me look like a pre-schooler trying to pick his nose and missing the nostril, truly talented guys, all old school, mostly a grade school education, they had gone through one of the best schools, the school of hard knocks and various apprenticeship programs.

Maybe I should have been an engineer, but, I felt the math was over my head, so I did not do that. :doh:

So now I fool around with stuff in the Dungeon, and I just simply will give just about anything a go, if I have a problem that needs fixing, and I give it a go and fail, I figure I'm not anywhere worse of than I was, and usually I will have learned something too.

the nickel tour! :2tsup:

Cheers!

Stu in Tokyo
14th July 2007, 03:12 PM
It looks good. Clever. As long as its not too top heavy. You want to minimize vibration. uno, don't want that blade jumping around a bit on the wheels.

But, please, definetly change those grinding wheels over for white ones. AlO. Make life a lot easier. You'll want to sharpen tools often, rather than put it off.

I plan on filling the wheel with concrete, should not be top heavy anymore.:D

The wheels are from Oneway, yes they are blue, but they are for sharpening turning tools, work great too!

I ran the rig last night, as the wheels are balanced with the Oneway system, it all runs super smooth! :2tsup:

Cheers!

rsser
14th July 2007, 03:59 PM
Like your story Stu. Admire guys who learn.

ptc
14th July 2007, 06:28 PM
always read your post's
would love to go to japan for a holiday.

Stu in Tokyo
14th July 2007, 11:05 PM
Like your story Stu. Admire guys who learn.

Thank you!

I admire guys who take the time to teach, without them, I'd be a LOT worse off!

:D

Stu in Tokyo
14th July 2007, 11:07 PM
always read your post's
would love to go to japan for a holiday.

Thanks PTC, I try to make them somewhat interesting, I'm so happy to have online forums like this, I'm a tad isolated here in Japan.

If you ever do make it over here, drop by the Dungeon for a cold beer and the nickel tour! :2tsup:

Cheers!

ticklingmedusa
15th July 2007, 07:09 PM
well done Stu.
tm

JDarvall
15th July 2007, 08:04 PM
Glad she's not top heavy.

The wheels are from Oneway, yes they are blue, but they are for sharpening turning tools, work great too!

There not that great mate for sharpening any tool. But if your happy with them. :D

Stu in Tokyo
16th July 2007, 09:42 PM
Glad she's not top heavy.
There not that great mate for sharpening any tool. But if your happy with them. :D

Can you tell me what is wrong with them? :?

Oneway Grinder Wheels (http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/wheels.htm)

I use them about 99% of the time for turning tool sharpening.
Oneway says..........

Grinding Wheels are an integral part of the grinding process. The wheels we offer have been manufactured to our specifications after considerable testing and in conjunction with our manufacturers advice and expertise.

Our wheels are just hard enough to minimize the amount of grit shed in use, yet they are soft enough to allow dressing without difficulty.

They are porosity induced to stop excessive loading and glazing. Their grit is more angular than globular for a vastly superior cutting action.

Just because they are blue?

Sorry, I don't get it :?

JDarvall
17th July 2007, 07:22 AM
Stu , I could wrong. I may not have all the facts. Maybe they are fantastic.

But, I've got a strong feeling their not.

I've had a few grinders. And with all them, the wheels that came with them standard were pretty ordinary compared to the white wheels.

Aluminium oxide wheels your after. Generally white and specifically made for sharpening tools. They'll grind a lot faster because they shed themselves as you go. re-dress themselves in a way. The blade won't heat up as fast.

I'm reminded of how bad the standard blue ones everyday. At work thats what the boss has got. I'll stand there fiddlying away forever on a blade for fear of burning it (which happens) that take just seconds to touch up at home with no problems at all.

Ask that Oneway supplier if their Aluminium oxide. I didn't see it mentioned in the link. If they were I'd imagine they'd be quick to mention it. But like I said I could be wrong.

Have a good day mate.

Stu in Tokyo
17th July 2007, 10:22 AM
Just because they are white don't mean piddly, the white wheels that came with this grinder were only good for paper weights, maybe. The were white and they were the AO, but they were so out of balance, even after truing up the faces, the grinder would walk across the bench when running, and when shut down, would come to a shuddering halt in about 20 seconds, or so.

The different colors from different makers does not really make for a good comparison, as on maker's while wheel might be trick, while the other maker's white wheel could be crap.

Oneway is fairly well known for their quality products, and they have these wheels made for them to their specs, why do that if any old white wheel would do?

I'd say it is because they wanted a wheel that would grind HSS turning tools very well, and I think the succeeded. With the balancing kit, this grinder runs as smooth as my buddies Baldor grinder which cost him close to $600, mine cost me less than $200.

Just because the Borg, or what is that place down there called, Bunnings...? Just because they have the new "___________" (insert hyped new doodad name in the space) does now mean it is the best, or the worst, it just means they found something that they cans EASILY sell to the mass market as "Good" with little advertising or leg work, "White Grinding Wheels Are Best" is one of them. I have no doubt that some of the best griding wheels are white, but that does not mean that every maker's white wheels are up to the same standards, or that every non-white wheel is crap.

Oneway has their own unique recipe for grinding wheels, they don't tell you what it is, but it darn well works.

Sorry, I'm not trying go off on a rant here, but I do not like blanket statements, just because the grinding wheels are white (or blue or pink or orange) does not mean they are good.

Cheers!

PS I think that Norton sells very good wheels as well, and after seeing a cheap made in China wheel blow up at speed, I'll spend my money on good wheels, regardless of the the color. :D

rsser
17th July 2007, 12:56 PM
Sure.

Most of the white wheels sold downunder would be Nortons btw.

And everyone should bear in mind that a wheel can be cracked before you buy it so chk it, tap it lightly with a mallet before mounting ... and stand back at first spin.

As for out of balance ... that can also be the shaft or more commonly the nylon shims not fitting well.

rat52
17th July 2007, 01:43 PM
Stu,
I agree that the colour changes between brands but there is an ISO (International Standards Organization) code for grinding wheels .

The Norton "white" wheel is coded 38A80-H8VBE .The 38 at the front and BE at the back is Nortons code.

"A" is for Aluminium oxide

80 is the grit size

H is for hard

8 describes the grain structure. 0 dense to 12 open

V is for vitrified bond

If you have the code of your wheels I could work out the grading

JDarvall
17th July 2007, 08:10 PM
White, fluesent green..... who gives a ????. I didn't say they are ALL white. I said generally they are.

My main point is and still is ..........make sure their ALUMINIMUM OXIDE !

If they are........ well :2tsup: good on ya mate.

See, the only thing I was trying to do with my posts was to discribe problems I've had in the past, to try and HELP YOU.......so maybe you can avoid them yourself. (The sort of help I like to be given) uno.

not start a friggin arguement.........blanket statements :rolleyes:

Stu in Tokyo
17th July 2007, 10:05 PM
OK AT, sorry if I took you post the wrong way, seemed to me like you thought I was dumb enough to have them really bad blue wheels on my grinder, I can show you about 4 of them that are brand new, as I have taken them off the grinder when I bought it and replaced them without using them, they DO make lousy paper weights.

I paid a fair bit of dosh to have good quality wheels on my grinder for sharpening my tools, and just because they are "blue" does not mean they are of poor quality, they are of best quality. I task you, or anyone else to find better grinding wheels to fit the Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder at any price.

Your statement to make sure I get the "White Wheels" I took the wrong way.
You said

"Stu , I could wrong. I may not have all the facts. Maybe they are fantastic.

But, I've got a strong feeling their not."

Sorry, but when you admit that you don't have all the facts, and you go on your "Feeling" I don't put much faith in these kinds of statements.

I do have all the facts, I don't run on "Feelings" about a product, I looked into it. I KNOW the Oneway wheels are of the BEST quality for sharpening turning tools, I researched the product before I ordered them, I could find NO ONE that had a bad thing to say about them, many of the pro turners who use them, swear by them, because they work.

I know that companies like Norton also make great grinding wheels, and I know that some of them are very good for the job of sharpening turning tools, but after looking into it, they DO NOT make a wheel that is specifically formulated for sharpening turning tools, they will recommend one, but that is different that what Oneway has done, where they worked with the local maker of griding wheels to come up with a recipe that would work specifically for sharpening turning tools. Also why would Oneway want to put out their recipe for their wheels, how long do you think it would be before someone in China would be making a lower price copy of their good product?

BTW, here is the label from the first set of wheels they sent me, they made a mistake and sent the highspeed wheels, but they fixed the mistake by sending the slow speed wheels, at their expense and paid the shipping back to them for the wrong wheels.

Of course I, and I think most here like to have people recognize a good job when I do one, but, in all honestly a pat on the back might do my ego some good, I know that an honest critical look at my work, is worth a LOT more to me than some ego stroke.

Please keep your critical reviews coming, but don't be surprised if I shoot back, if I think you are being unfair, or are wrong in your criticism, or your comments are lacking from some information.

Dunno what you can see from the numbers there, but I know one thing is for sure, the wheels are NOT white and they work VERY well, even though they are BLUE :U