PDA

View Full Version : Small turning?

RETIRED
14th July 2007, 12:36 PM
This is some of the type of work we do.

The timber is an ex bloodwood telephone pole 6.7 metres long and is going into a house at Tolmie for the support of a spiral staircase.

KevM
14th July 2007, 12:44 PM
You have only told us half the story. What's the finish you used?

OGYT
14th July 2007, 01:46 PM
, beautiful work... hope the forklift didn't damage it... but how else could it be handled??...:)
The pic of it on the lathe is awesome... what's the brand on the lathe?
Looks like an Oliver, or a General, Or a Hegner... ??? Just guessin'.
It also comes to mind that it must have been a bummer tryin' to get it inside the house... sky crane... hole in roof... or a super large foyer to get it inside before raising the thing vertical.
'Twould have been an interestin day... :D

rsser
14th July 2007, 02:28 PM
Gee, what do you do with the shavings?

... Tolmie eh? Hope this one survives the next round of fires.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Melb. turnfest tomorrow.

echnidna
14th July 2007, 02:30 PM
do yer go beyond 800 grit?

DJ’s Timber
14th July 2007, 03:05 PM

Al, have a look here (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/.htm) to see more of 's lathe, he had it specially built :2tsup:

RETIRED
14th July 2007, 05:12 PM
, beautiful work... hope the forklift didn't damage it... but how else could it be handled??...:)
Looks like an Oliver, or a General, Or a Hegner... ??? Just guessin'.
It also comes to mind that it must have been a bummer tryin' to get it inside the house... sky crane... hole in roof... or a super large foyer to get it inside before raising the thing vertical.
'Twould have been an interestin day... :DThe fork doesn't damage them. The pole was only finished today and I have no idea how they are putting it in.

As DJS said the lathe was specially built.

Gee, what do you do with the shavings?

... Tolmie eh? Hope this one survives the next round of fires.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Melb. turnfest tomorrow.The shavings get bagged and the locals use it for mulch or horses.

Yep, Tolmie but not Rob's new workshop.:D Same here about the do tomorrow.

do yer go beyond 800 grit? Actually this one had to go to 1200# and the finish is Cutek CD 50 oil.

ptc
14th July 2007, 06:12 PM
Do you put your Name on the big jobs ?

ss_11000
14th July 2007, 08:24 PM
looks good :)

joe greiner
14th July 2007, 08:26 PM
I've heard of pallets made of mahogany; but bloodwood for telephone poles? Wow.

Nice work, .

Joe

ozwinner
14th July 2007, 09:33 PM
Where do you buy pen kits that big? :roll:

Al :U

Harry72
15th July 2007, 12:19 AM
Gday , how long would a job like this take start too finish?

OGYT
15th July 2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks, DJS and . Quite a lathe... puttin' it verrrry mildly, I might add. How many times in a pass do you have to sharpen the tools??? :D
Thanks for posting this. Very informative.
Wish I could go to the get-together!!! You Blokes have fun!!!

RETIRED
15th July 2007, 08:32 AM
Gday , how long would a job like this take start too finish? Up to a week.

Thanks, DJS and . Quite a lathe... puttin' it verrrry mildly, I might add. How many times in a pass do you have to sharpen the tools??? :D
Thanks for posting this. Very informative.
Wish I could go to the get-together!!! You Blokes have fun!!!This timber was related to concrete or may have been petrified in a previous life:D and the tools were sharpened about every 5 minutes. We use 3 tools because they get too hot to hang on to.

Toolin Around
15th July 2007, 11:14 AM
Hi

Nice job!

Just looking at that I've got tonnes of questions...

Not knowing much about Aussie woods except that they weight (how heavy was it) a lot and are hard has rocks... I would have thought it would have sagged a bit under it's own weight. Was that a problem or did you use some sort of steady rest? Or was there any whip when turning?

What about when cutting what was the whip like?

Did you have to true it up much?

Do you have any close up pics of the head and tail stock. They must be built like brick s*&t houses to support that load. What morse taper is in the tail stock?

Do you have a soft start mechanism on your lathe? Hitting the start button it would take some effort to get that weight up and spinning even at dead slow.

RETIRED
15th July 2007, 08:33 PM
Hi

Nice job! Thank you.

Just looking at that I've got tonnes of questions...Ask away and I will try to answer them

Not knowing much about Aussie woods except that they weight (how heavy was it) a lot and are hard has rocks... About 1.5 tonnes and yes a cousin of rock, granite I think.:wink: It was one of the hardest timbers I have turned Or maybe I am just getting older.

I would have thought it would have sagged a bit under it's own weight. Negligible sag but it had a lot of stress in it so that when it was cut it moved. See next bit.

Was that a problem or did you use some sort of steady rest? We use a fairly heavy steady but in order to hold it somewhere near straight the pressure on the wheels created that much heat that we replaced 7 wheels because the heat destroyed the vulcanizing to the steel centres.

Or was there any whip when turning?Oh yeah!! About an inch in 3 metres.

What about when cutting what was the whip like? When released from the steady it had a 2 inch bend in it but the builder assured me it would be ok.

Did you have to true it up much?Took out a 5 inch "S" bend and reduced the diameter from 430mm down to 250mm and still had a small flat spot.

Do you have any close up pics of the head and tail stock. They must be built like brick s*&t houses to support that load. What morse taper is in the tail stock? I will try to get some pics up. They are. No 3.

Do you have a soft start mechanism on your lathe? No 3HP straight start through reduction pulleys to gear it down. Started at 150 RPM (the lathe can go down to 27RPM) and once the centre steady was in, sped up to about 210RPM.

Hitting the start button it would take some effort to get that weight up and spinning even at dead slow.It does.

echnidna
15th July 2007, 09:02 PM
well so much fer the small turnin's,
when ya gunna do a big turning? :D

RETIRED
16th July 2007, 10:30 AM
Heavy duty steady.

The part that makes it go round.:D

Head stock with small spur drive.

Light duty steady.

Tailstock. Originally off a Herbert flat bed metal lathe.

RETIRED
16th July 2007, 10:33 AM
The drive spur we use on big stuff.

Toolin Around
16th July 2007, 10:48 AM
I like the idea for the steady. Much easier to use that a solid ring type.

Wongo
16th July 2007, 10:59 AM
Nice pen :2tsup:

Toolin Around
16th July 2007, 08:18 PM
Nice pen :2tsup:

:D :D :D

Calm
16th July 2007, 08:34 PM
it looks magnificent.

With the amount of cups of tea on Sunday do you have several electric jugs along the length of the lathe?

With the distance you travel along a job like this each day what do you do to keep fit?

Gra
16th July 2007, 08:36 PM
it looks magnificent.

With the amount of cups of tea on Sunday do you have several electric jugs along the length of the lathe?

With the distance you travel along a job like this each day what do you do to keep fit?

nah just a whipping boy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th July 2007, 09:04 PM

Sit down and let the feet recover... :D

Gra
16th July 2007, 09:15 PM
I was going to stick with my previous answer:U :U

soundman
17th July 2007, 11:59 AM
just to be silly do you still have that pic of turning a pen on that lathe?

cheers

RETIRED
17th July 2007, 02:27 PM
I have never turned a pen and have no desire to turn one.:D I have turned a miniature goblet and candlestick on it.

reeves
17th July 2007, 05:48 PM
hey, thats a sizable erection !

u do like em big mate...

great stuff....thanks for posting...