PDA

View Full Version : roll-a-door installation

Ivor
31st August 2003, 03:45 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to put up a second hand B&D roll-door and running into trouble, bloody thing keeps unravelling on me. Does any one know or have any idiots guide to roll-a-door instalation.

I don't want to get a B&D instal bloke around, too stuborn and tight.

Thanks

Ivor

q9
31st August 2003, 03:56 PM
I believe the are shipped taped up at each end.

Dan
31st August 2003, 04:12 PM
Try this,

1. Roll it up on the floor then tie it with ropes.

2. Lift it up onto the brackets and tighten the u-bolts.

3. With it still tied spin it around a few times in the same direction it would go if it was closing (get a bit of tension in the spring). Use some judgement, it doesn't need a lot of tension when in the rolled position.

4. Then untie it (get someone to hold onto the bit that ends up on the floor when it's closed) and feed it down into the tracks.

5. Screw the clips onto the top of the tracks so it stops at the top when you open it again.

If the tracks aren't on yet then you will see where to put them when starting step 4, mark where they need to go then re-tie the roll and put the tracks on.

Ivor
1st September 2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks Dan,

I had enough trouble getting it up on the brackets in the first place, and now I have to take it off again, damn! I was hoping that there was some way of tightening it or stopping it unravelling while it was still up on the brackets. Well that becomes next weekends job.

Ivor

colh
1st September 2003, 10:31 AM
Ivor

If you've already got it up on the brackets, I'd be leaving it there. You could try loosening the clamps just enough for the door to unwind into the down position under its own weight (or with some help), then start winding the shaft up with a pipe wrench or similar, ie taking up the tension in the spring. You might need to use two wrenches - hold with one while you take a new grip with the other. You probably need to have the tracks in place first, including the top travel stops, so that when you get it fully wound up it doesn't unwind itself over the top.

Colin

Ivor
1st September 2003, 10:42 AM
Good idea Col, I was going to try something like that before a rolled it up on the floor. I hadn't thought of the pipe wrenches I had just be trying to roll it up by hand, swearing and wondering why it wasn't working, moving parts are not my strong point.

Ivor

JohnM
1st September 2003, 11:41 PM
I have used the pipe wrench method to wind up in situ, however be carefull - if the wrench slips after tension is put on the spring the unwind is impressive.:( :eek:

ChrisH
3rd September 2003, 09:43 PM
Try this...
DON"T try to wind it up, just tension it and the spring will wind the door up by itself.

So, start with the roll installed and the door closed. Use two pipe wrenches, start to wind the axle round to tighten the spring. The u-clamps need to be just slack enough to allow the axle to rotate. Have both pipe clamps on at all times, use one to turn the axle as far as you can, then hold the tension on that one whilst sliding the other one backwards to get another swing. Then pull down on that one as far as you can, then hold it whilst you set up the first one. Continue alternating like that.
You might need an assistant to gently lift the door as you are winding it up. (Just taking the weight, not actually forcing the door up.)
When you think it is correctly tensioned, have your assistant tighten the u-clamps whilst you hold the tension.
Check tension - door should hold itself when you release it, not zoom up or droop down.
Chris.

skapinad
25th April 2007, 03:56 PM
Hi guys, my name is Adam, just joined up......there is some fantastic advice on these pages..will probably bother you with some more questions in the future.....but anyway I am having the same problem with a roller door, sorry to bring this thread back up to the top but have tried numerous times and cant make the bloody thing not unravel. I am at the stage now where i have put it back up a second time only for it to unravel on me.....so it is now up, in its tracks, and fully down, but obivously wont go up cos the spring has no tension.... Now i understand how to tension the spring so that it will start going up nicely but which way do i turn the pipe in the middle with the door down ? Also dont know if this matters, but i do have a motor on the door as well, obviously it wont get the door up yet without the spring tensioned, hopefully this doesnt make the method more difficult.....Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated, before i take to the thing with an oxy!!!:U

Barry_White
25th April 2007, 06:01 PM
Here you go read through this post.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=16034&highlight=Roller+Door

Ed Preece
15th June 2007, 12:13 AM
Hi guys, my name is Adam, just joined up......there is some fantastic advice on these pages..will probably bother you with some more questions in the future.....but anyway I am having the same problem with a roller door, sorry to bring this thread back up to the top but have tried numerous times and cant make the bloody thing not unravel. I am at the stage now where i have put it back up a second time only for it to unravel on me.....so it is now up, in its tracks, and fully down, but obivously wont go up cos the spring has no tension.... Now i understand how to tension the spring so that it will start going up nicely but which way do i turn the pipe in the middle with the door down ? Also dont know if this matters, but i do have a motor on the door as well, obviously it wont get the door up yet without the spring tensioned, hopefully this doesnt make the method more difficult.....Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated, before i take to the thing with an oxy!!!:U

Ed Preece
15th June 2007, 12:18 AM
Hey Adam I've got your problem EXACTLY. Did you fix it or take the oxy to it? If you fixed it would you please tell me how...I'm going crazy. Regards

Barry_White
15th June 2007, 09:45 AM
Hey Adam I've got your problem EXACTLY. Did you fix it or take the oxy to it? If you fixed it would you please tell me how...I'm going crazy. Regards

Hi Ed

Did you have a look at the link in my post above. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...ht=Roller+Door (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=16034&highlight=Roller+Door) If after doing that and it still keeps coming down you may have to take the door down off the brackets unroll it on a soft surface so as not to damage it and check to see if the bolts that holds the springs to the axle haven't sheared off. Also check the bolts that attaches the spring to the side drum.