PDA

View Full Version : Ern's Turnfest post mortem & pics

Groggy
15th July 2007, 02:40 PM
A few pics of "Ern's Turn". It was good to catch up with Cliff again (after 31 years!)

Thanks for hosting Ern!

1 - Cliff Rogers using the Stubby lathe
2 - and Cliff
3 - more Cliff
4 - Cliff collecting shavings
5 - the bowl in progress

Groggy
15th July 2007, 02:41 PM
1 - Sean with his lathe
2 - Skew showing an Osage Orange pen and stock of same species (colour is correct)

Edit: Jess made the pen!

dai sensei
15th July 2007, 03:08 PM
Hope everyone had a great day, wish I could have been there.

More photos, more photos :U

ptc
15th July 2007, 05:56 PM
That was quick !
Dont forget to show the rest.

crazyscew
15th July 2007, 08:13 PM
To Ern and those who were involved with the day,
I have to complement the host and his charming daughter for a great day .

The day was a blast it was nice meeting the other forum members and we could not have asked for a better day.

Those who were there Myself included had a great time the weather was in our favor but most of all the people were fantastic I take my hat off to the organiser and the work that was done aswell as the turning hints and lessons given by and all other turners involved.

my thanks for your effort with jess she can't wait to come down to your place and have some more fun with you ..

Again thanks for a great day and I hope we can do it again sometime ...

to the other turners that were there keep up the good work and thank you for your input for the day cheers...

cheers to all and best wishes
crazyscew.....:2tsup:

RETIRED
15th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Thank you to all concerned. Another good day with good company.

Nice to meet Cliff again and to put some faces to some of the forumites.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th July 2007, 08:52 PM
'Twas a highly enjoyable day and for many of us a long one, so I wouldn't expect too many reports tonight. [yawn!] There were a few new faces and a few fresh forum members... but I'll wait for the pix before even trying to name all attendees.

Many thanks to Ern for organising it, Scooter for bringing his lathe and DJ for supplying some nice blanks! Oh, and to for his patiently filling the role of "he who knows" as per usual.

Highlights? Well... the bowl Cliff turned (with minor assists here and there thru the day :wink:) was raffled off, along with a couple of DJs blanks. Jess won the bowl :~ and Rodent and Allan drew a blank each. (I think.) Good tucker, good conversation and a lot of sawdust made.

Cliff sold his pair of "award-winning scrapers" :D for $5- to a strange bloke who was muttering something about hollowing pens with 'em... :oo: and DJ took his Sorby spiral texture tool for a test-drive on some Radiata with surprisingly good results. I hope someone took a picture, 'as it appears it didn't survive later experiments.

There was no shortage of timber for swap/sale; besides DJ's ute load, Dave also brought along some burls & Allan (from Wallan, not "Blank-winning Alan" :rolleyes:) some pen blanks and Osage Orange,... and a big thank you to Allan for my piece!. I think there was more, but who pays attention to names when there's timber to pick over? :p

Skew showing an Osage Orange pen and stock of same species (colour is correct)

...the pen was made by Jess, from some OO that gave to her at the Tooradin gathering. And nicely done, I might add.

Groggy
15th July 2007, 08:59 PM
...the pen was made by Jess, from some OO that gave to her at the Tooradin gathering. And nicely done, I might add.Apologies to Jess, I should have said who made the pen, I meant Skew was holding them :- .

Allan at Wallan
15th July 2007, 09:15 PM
What a great day!

Thanks Ern and Ruth for your fantastic hospitality
as we were treated to a day to remember.

Congratulations to those who travelled from afar to
be there on the day, particularly Cliff (Qld) who toiled hard
to complete a large bowl. Good luck to Jess who won
the bowl in the raffle.

To Cliff, , Skew, Ern and others who shared their
knowledge with us, we, the learners, are most grateful.

It was great just to meet fellow Forum members face
to face - may it be a forerunner to many more meetings
in future and developing long friendships.

Allan.:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks to Ern & Ruth for the great hospitality.

Various pictures of the day

Skew doing his bit on Scooter's lathe

A few spectators watching Cliff and

50763 50764 50765 50766

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2007, 11:13 PM
Another of Skew with some spectators

guiding Jess on her first big piece

The host of the day

Some of the mob

50770 50771

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2007, 11:21 PM
Some spiralling done by myself with Cliff's new Spiral & Texturing Tool

Sean hollowing out above spiral

Sean getting too enthusiastic and creating a jagged edge :doh:

A couple of the bowl that Jess won which is still to be finished

50779 50780

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2007, 11:24 PM
One of Cliff after his marathon effort

And Skew had footwear :o

Wongo
15th July 2007, 11:45 PM
Hey he is not the real Roger.:~

thefixer
15th July 2007, 11:51 PM
That's a funny lookin' hat Jess is wearing:D Wish I coulda been there.Looks like it was a great day:)

Cheers
Shorty

rodent
15th July 2007, 11:57 PM
What else can be said what a great day . Thanks to all to Ern & ruth when we pick up jess's bowl ill bring the photos we took on cd for you .We ( her dad crazyskew ) just took jess home so she can get some sleep before school tomorrow some pics girls at work.
.jess & .jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=50783&stc=1&d=1184503730)
ern & ruth.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=50784&stc=1&d=1184503808)
jess2.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=50785&stc=1&d=1184504054)

TTIT
16th July 2007, 12:10 AM
One of Cliff after his marathon effort
Naah - that's not Cliff - doesn't look anything like the young bloke in his avatar!:U

Unreal! Skew really does look like his avatar - or is that really your photo and not the Cap'n of the Titanic???? :confuzzled:

Might jump on a virgin and get to the next meet myself - wish I had been there!:C

thefixer
16th July 2007, 12:34 AM
So TTIT, how much similar looking to your avatar are you? :p

TTIT
16th July 2007, 12:38 AM
So TTIT, how much similar looking to your avatar are you? :pI've got more hair than him!:U (just!)

ticklingmedusa
16th July 2007, 07:26 AM
That's a funny lookin' hat Jess is wearing:D Wish I coulda been there.Looks like it was a great day:)

Cheers
Shorty

That goes for me too:D
It would have grand to be there
Its nice to attach faces to the names.
I finally got a look at Skew without the ever present SS Titanic life ring:oo:
Theres a local mini symposium here in seppoland next week
and i'm looking forward to the debauchery and learning some new tricks.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
tm

OGYT
16th July 2007, 08:54 AM
Ditto for me, too! Guess it must have been a blast! Looks like you all had a good time. Like tm, I'm glad to put some faces with the names of some of you. (I always wondered if that was really Cliff, in his avatar... also the same with Skew.)
Good stuff. My thanks also to Ruth and Ern for being the hosts... what a grand thing to do!!
Thanks for posting the pics and comments! :D

Gra
16th July 2007, 09:09 AM
I would like to add my thanks to Ern and Ruth. The mistress and I both enjoyed our day out.

It was good to meet Cliff, and finally put a face to all the @#$% from those friday threads:D. It was good to catch up with the usual crowd and some new faces.

Must pass compliments on Skews goblet (Even if it took him all day :q:U), and Jess's pen, If that is your usual standard Jess you need to show us more.

RufflyRustic
16th July 2007, 09:25 AM
Great photos! What a fun day! Go Jess!!!! :2tsup:

there's a photo in the bunch that I think is an absolute classic - The gentleman with all the shavings on his back in one of the group photos - absolute classic!!! :D

cheers
Wendy

Gra
16th July 2007, 09:28 AM
Great photos! What a fun day! Go Jess!!!! :2tsup:

there's a photo in the bunch that I think is an absolute classic - The gentleman with all the shavings on his back in one of the group photos - absolute classic!!! :D

cheers
Wendy

That would be our kind host Ern

Cliff Rogers
16th July 2007, 10:51 AM
Top day, thanks all. :2tsup:

In transit, talk later.

rsser
16th July 2007, 06:01 PM
It was our pleasure folks. We enjoyed it greatly and were touched by so much help and donations of timber etc.

I went into the shed after everyone had left ready to clean up and thought, nuh, sit by the fire and watch the stars for a bit ;-}

Did the cleanup today and found nooks and crannies that I never thought I had, full of chips and shavings. Some fingernail width curls snagged well over head height. Estimate about 12 domestic buckets worth is what we made :oo:

David brought along a foldup gazebo and that was enough to send hughie off to rain on someone else's barbie. Thanks too to David (Calm) for bringing some great lumps of burl and wattle. Pity we ran out of time to chuck them up.

And thanks again to Skew and for demo's, to Sean for bringing his lathe and to DJ for the redgum raffle prizes and yellow box bowl blanks. Also to those kind folk who helped swell my wood 'bank'.

The big bowl's final dimensions are around 500mm x 150mm. Jess was the winner ... Rod (?) and Allan were runners up with the redgum blanks. In the pic of the bowl you can see DJ's texturing work and Cliff's undercutting prowess. Cliff showed us how banana benders turn ... bring a big enough gouge and use it without a handle :o

All up $77 was raised for the Salvo's :2tsup:

And someone left behind a big turning tool. PM me - meantime I'm happy to look after it for you :D

Pics:
1. Allan from Wallan, David, and Grumpy John.
2. DJ.
3. The two skews, Crazyscew and Skew. Note the bevel angles :U
4. David and George
5. Scooter

rsser
16th July 2007, 06:10 PM
... pic of the bowl showing DJ's handiwork with the Sorby texturing tool on the rim, and a diagram of spindle mouldings just for .

Jess and Crazy, PM me about setting up a time to finish the bowl.

Added: pic of and Jess

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2007, 06:20 PM
I went into the shed after everyone had left ready to clean up and thought, nuh, sit by the fire and watch the stars for a bit ;-}

On the drive home Skew and myself wondered if you would;

1, put the bike away and cleanup :o

2, sit in front of the fire :;

and it looks like we were both right too :U

Calm
16th July 2007, 07:57 PM
What a great day, meeting turners of the caliber of (in no particular order) , Skew, Cliff, DJ, Scooter and others. The expertise shared by was apprecitaed by all. Ern was a magnificent host and an invitation to return will be taken up in a couple of weeks (Ihope it still stands) Ar yes the mind is now overloaded with advice from a great day.

:2tsup:

Wayne Blanch
16th July 2007, 08:58 PM
It doesn't look like Jess is enjoying herself in that last photo of her and the bowl Much!!!!!:no: :U

I wish I could have come down:C it looks like everyone had a great day. As has been said by many others it is good to be able to put faces to names. And aren't we a diverse bunch! (And maybe a little scary:D )

hughie
16th July 2007, 09:37 PM
Ern,

One of those events that I could not see how I could make it :C and one of those events afterwoods.. dunno why I did not just go any way. buga!

Looks like a great time was had by all. Well done.

rsser
16th July 2007, 09:50 PM
Yep, think everyone shed some shavings in their wagon on the way home ;-}

Another pic: Skew demo'd goblet turning with a bit of redgum which did what redgum does best. Great bit of turning. 9" high.

And who did the egg cup?

scooter
16th July 2007, 09:56 PM
Excellent day had by all, big thanks to Ern for providing the venue, ample shed space for all us turning tragics, campfire, tucker, fruitcake (oh yeah!), and for being a gracious host.

Big thanks also to Ruth for her tireless efforts on the day.

Attendees:Neil (Gra), , Crazyscew, Rod (rodent), Jess, John (Grumpy John),Cliff Rogers, DJ (djstimber), Andy (Skewchidamn), David (Calm), Allan from Wallan, Allan, Steve (mate of Robbos), Groggy, George (mate of mine), our host Ern (rsser)& meself (scooter). Hope I got everyone.

, George enjoyed his impromptu bowl turning lesson :)

a diagram of spindle mouldings just for RobboErn, I looked at the diagram but couldn't see the "thingo" 's always mentioning...:wink::D

and creating a jagged edge That's the patented "ragged edge" technique, DJ, you were fortunate to witness it... :D

Took a couple of sups of red out of my ragged edge goblet, no splinters - woo hoo :p

Came home with some blanks from DJ & Allan, some of Cliffs old tools, DVD from Rod, a halogen light from Allan, & a helluva lot of of inspiration & motivation to do more turning.

Long day, buggered when we got home, but definitely well worth the effort & a Sunday well spent.

Cheers all.....................Sean

scooter
16th July 2007, 10:00 PM
DJ did the eggcup in cypress.

Cliff Rogers
16th July 2007, 11:37 PM
Home at last... what a great weekend I had... :2tsup:
My hands are still black.

I didn't take many photos but I have a few to fill in some gaps.

A couple of different views of the bowl.

The stragglers who were still there at stumps.... Skew has their attention but.... :D

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2007, 12:05 AM
Here is Sean's ragged look. :p

Also got a pic of the backyard mess we left & the fire Ern was on about.

Thanks again to all, particularly Ern & Ruth for their hospitality.

It was good to catch up with Groggy, it has been about 28 years since I saw him last... we both have less hair now. :rolleyes:

Thanks to everybody who stood back & let me have more than my fair share of the action. :D

Thanks for your guidance , the man is always ready to tell you where to go. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50766&d=1184499319) :2tsup:

It was good to try lots of different tools & different grinds, thanks Ern & , I still like the Henry Taylor HS1 5/8 Superflute the best. :wink:

Ern has more hollowing tools that anybody else I know... I think I like the Sorby scraper system with the swivel head the best.

Thanks for the splinters DJ, I am still digging them out. :p
Thanks also for the demo on the spiralling tool.

Who did I forget... David, (Calm) for standing there for ages holding a bit of scotchbrite against the outside of that bowl deadening the howling noise while & was hacking away at it.

Thanks to Sean & Allan for buying some of my old tools.
I didn't get a chance to ask what you had in mind for those 2 short ones Sean.
I only had to bring 2 home with me & with a bit of talking & a couple of minutes on the grinder, that P&N gouge now cuts better than it did.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2007, 12:10 AM
Opps, forgot, thanks to Gra & Skew for the mini shed crawl on Saturday arvo & thanks for the ride in the 1928 Graham Paige too Gra. :2tsup:

I didn't get a photo of it & I should have.

rodent
17th July 2007, 01:00 AM
Yup ern its probably brutus Ern ill come and pick it up when we come to get jess's potato mash bowl ( with cheese ) . Thanks for the day Ern & ruth it was great .Oh wayne that's jessie's concentration look and as for the hat well i couldn't get any closer to take the pic for all the flying shavings .

rsser
17th July 2007, 04:17 PM
Well I got round to sharpening the tools last night. Some pretty rounded edges but no damage. Good to see them get a solid workout.

There was a bit of interest in the hollowing tools. Cliff reckons I've got a lot but the mini-Munro didn't even get an airing :U

Cliff liked the Sorby RS200KT with the tear-drop scraper for cleaning up. I noticed he did a deal of rim undercutting with the big Munro, and pushed the Proforme with the slight bend beyond its limits (but hey, how often do you get to kissing on the first date? :roll: ).

The slight bend Proforme is my favourite. A J-shaped cutter with cap, it allows easy chip ejection dowwards, hogging at the bottom of the J, general cutting on the J curve (where have we heard that before?), and finish cutting on the straight section. The cutter is pretty durable and just needs the odd pass with a fine diamond lap. It can be reground by Woodcut in UnZud.

You can buy the cutter head on its own from Woodcut Tools and maybe from Jim Carroll (and Jim has the various kits), and knock up your own shaft and handle with basic metal work skills (5/8 shaft, drill one, tap one, grind a face, bend, purl (ah no, not purl, wrong craft)). Grumpy John is thinking along these lines and might take orders, him being a metal pro ;-}

Jim advises that the Munro is a better bet for turners starting in on hollowing and stocks them as well.

Want more reading on the use of the Proforme and others, go to Fred Holder's site and check out Lyn M's review of hollowing tools.

Links below.

This diatribe just shows there wasn't enough time on the day for one bloke's turning, serving and bullsh*tting :no:

http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146696

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

scooter
17th July 2007, 10:13 PM
... to ask what you had in mind for those 2 short ones Sean.

Not quite sure yet, Cliff, you just caught me at a weak moment (stop twisting my arm :p)

See if I find a use for them as is, otherwise will remove handle & make an oland tool

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2007, 10:20 PM
See if I find a use for them as is, otherwise will remove handle & make an oland tool

So that's where they ended up? :doh: I was eyeing 'em off, too... also thinking along the liines of an Oland.

Either that, or drilling holes at the midpoint and blunt-end to make an adjustable angle parallelogram type undercutting tool.

scooter
17th July 2007, 10:30 PM
So that's where they ended up? :doh: I was eyeing 'em off, too.

Gotta be quick mate :wink:

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2007, 12:46 AM
Those 2 small tools are very good steel.

The handles are Crow's Ash Flindersia australis.

You could make dovetail scrapers from them.

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2007, 01:01 AM
....Cliff liked the Sorby RS200KT with the tear-drop scraper for cleaning up. I noticed he did a deal of rim undercutting with the big Munro, and pushed the Proforme with the slight bend beyond its limits (but hey, how often do you get to kissing on the first date? :roll: ).

Next time... I'll bring my Vermec. :D
I reckon my old $5 specials moved more wood in a shorter time with brute force & ignorance. :p

I think I'll see if I can get one of those tear-drop tips to fit on my Vermec. :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
18th July 2007, 01:50 PM
Cliff,

Thanks for selling me your two older style hollowing
chisels for a total outlay of $5.00.
I watched with interest as you later used them on the
bowl very successfully. I did hear onlookers say, "Oh,
if I had known they were that good, I would have bought
them myself". And to think they were on the "For Sale"
table for a couple of hours and no interest shown.

By the way, it was my comment to the group that I could
now begin hollowing out pens. Geez, it was only a joke.

Great day, made some new friends and cant wait until
we have another similar day.

Allan:rolleyes:

HappyHammer
18th July 2007, 02:18 PM
Was this being consumed during the turning :o

HH.

Ross
18th July 2007, 02:36 PM

HH.

Some sort of secret fiinish?

Ross

rsser
18th July 2007, 03:20 PM
or drilling holes at the midpoint and blunt-end to make an adjustable angle parallelogram type undercutting tool.

??? , ok, so what on earth do you mean? (Go gently; non-eng type person at this end :( )

rsser
18th July 2007, 03:22 PM

HH.

Nah, not til stumps, as Cliffy described it :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th July 2007, 05:11 PM
By the way, it was my comment to the group that I could now begin hollowing out pens. Geez, it was only a joke.

Exactly. :wink:

??? , ok, so what on earth do you mean? (Go gently; non-eng type person at this end :( )

A pair of 1"ish round-bars, milled flat on the bottom and joined together by the cutting tip at the bottom and an adjuster/leverage bar at t'other end. I saw one in use once a long, long time ago being used to create a -45° undercut (ie. like the rim of one bowl being inserted into another bowl, if you know what I mean?) and was very impressed, but have never seen any suitable steel for the cutting tip. Until the turnfest...

Gra
18th July 2007, 06:07 PM
Some sort of secret fiinish?

Ross

And it had a fine finish too:U :U

Thanks Ern

scooter
18th July 2007, 10:27 PM
You could make dovetail scrapers from them.

Good idea :2tsup:

Stuart
19th July 2007, 12:46 AM
Wish I could have been there - hope there is another sometime when I don't have prior commitments.

Looks like everyone had a good time, particularly Cliff!

ptc
19th July 2007, 01:58 PM
Looks like you all had a great time.
Were there any shortbreads on offer ?

rsser
19th July 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks Skew. Interesting idea.

Gra, glad you enjoyed it. btw I only keep a bottle to inspire hollow form designs ;-}

Stu, I'm sure there'll be another so shout loud about dates :) ... yep, Cliff was a great guest and stalwart at the lathe. Seeing what he did with the unhandled 5/8" Superflute I was tempted to order one from the Woodsmith. Only reason not to was the fresh Ellsworth just up on the rack. Gadgetitis, me? :U

Pity Rodent was able to identify his wopping Superflute left behind :C ... named Brutus :oo: ... so Brutus finally met the Beast :wink:

ptc, nope, not this time. Helen did a fruit cake. When I asked Ruth to offer it around she said there was no need! Just as well; I'd underestimated the lunch needs. Not to mention the appetite for tea ;-}

Next step is to fabricate something to remount the Big Bowl to finish off the bottom. Would you believe I'd just turned down a face-plate/MDF disc combo to clear the ways. Just a poofteenth short of what's needed. Not to worry .. talked about his big thingy and that might do, or I'll fiddle with quadrants of MDF or ply to fit the least loved jaws in the Vicmarc range (MP's) :;

It was a great day ... so much to learn from and share with forumites. A privilege to be able to host it.

rodent
19th July 2007, 04:45 PM
Would you like me to bring along big bertha his big sister (one of jessie's i want one tools ).

rsser
19th July 2007, 04:56 PM
Bigger than Brutus?? You betcha!

rsser
19th July 2007, 06:20 PM
Query I think from GJ on the day about upcoming turning courses.

If I overheard correctly our esteemed moderator also does some teaching. Set us right here mod. I need some remedial instruction on the spindle myself ;-}

Also, Holmesglen TAFE in Chadstone have upcoming beginner and intermediate courses. See
www.shortcourses.holmesglen.vic.edu.au (http://www.shortcourses.holmesglen.vic.edu.au)

RETIRED
19th July 2007, 06:44 PM
Query I think from GJ on the day about upcoming turning courses.

If I overheard correctly our esteemed moderator also does some teaching. Set us right here mod. I need some remedial instruction on the spindle myself ;-}
Also, Holmesglen TAFE in Chadstone have upcoming beginner and intermediate courses. See
www.shortcourses.holmesglen.vic.edu.au (http://www.shortcourses.holmesglen.vic.edu.au)
.Yes I do.

Grumpy John
19th July 2007, 07:51 PM
Ern, thanks for the link to Holmsglen TAFE. I checked out the course almost $400 for 21 hours (3 hrs x 7 weeks). Pretty exxy I'll have to do a lot of overtime to pay for it if I decide to sign up. Had a great time @ the get-together really good to put faces to the names, sorry I haven't replied sooner been working interstate (Bundaberg) this week got back late last night.

Cheers
GJ

Elbow
19th July 2007, 10:00 PM
Be gentle it's my first post. Firstly I'd like to thank Ern & Ruth for their hospitality last Sunday. Apologies for the late post but computer problems have delayed this. As a long time visitor to the forum I decided to join up, hopefully to go last Sunday, Contacted Ern who said I would be most welcome. It was with trepidation that I attended with such revered contributors as Cliff, Ern, Skew, , Scooter, Callm & Rodent. What a wonderful day (even the weather smiled on us) to swap experiences, failures and sucesses. Great advice & demonstrations by Skew, & Cliff. As a relative outsider I could not believe in how well I was accepted ,which is a true indication of what the forum is all about, sharing knowledge and helping one another. 's tip on parting tools does work well if you hold it the right way (2nd time). My final comment on the day is it's nice to be with nice people.
Allan

i

Cliff Rogers
19th July 2007, 10:11 PM
..... Helen did a fruit cake.......
And we (I) didn't thank Helen for it... :-
It was a very nice fruit cake, I had 2 pieces.:2tsup:

scooter
20th July 2007, 10:56 AM
..., I had 2 pieces.

Well, someone had to hold back :D

Allan (elbow), glad you took the plunge & came along as well as joined up.

Was good to meet you on the day, and as you say it was good to be among a group of nice folk who share this turning interest.

Cheers..................Sean

rsser
20th July 2007, 05:09 PM
Ern, One of those events that I could not see how I could make it :C and one of those events afterwoods.. dunno why I did not just go any way. buga!

Always a bed down here for you Hughie for the next one.

You only have to sign the guestbook :roll: .... consists of marks on a lump of timber :U

rsser
20th July 2007, 05:11 PM
Allan (elbow), glad you took the plunge & came along as well as joined up.

Cheers..................Sean

Ditto Allan, and thanks for the donations :)

Cliff Rogers
20th July 2007, 05:12 PM
...You only have to sign the guestbook :roll: .... consists of marks on a lump of timber :U
& dents in a bottle of Red. :2tsup:

I forgot to thank you for that Yarra Burn, will take it to dinner tomorrow night. :2tsup:

rsser
20th July 2007, 05:42 PM
Dents in red happily can be done eccentrically mounted ;-}

... pleasure Cliff. Give it a good hour or more breathing. Hope you'll be celebrating good news.

Allan at Wallan
20th July 2007, 06:01 PM
To "Elbow" Allan,

Great to have met you at the barby and share
conversations. Look forward to seeing some work
of yours within the forums, especially the Osage Orange.

Best wishes from the other "Allan".:2tsup:

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Calm
26th July 2007, 11:47 PM
Ern do we have wip or final photos yet of "the Bowl"

rsser
27th July 2007, 07:30 AM
David, all we have at the moment is what's on this thread ... 1st page and after.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2007, 02:46 PM
But soon... soon...

(Jess, Crazyscew & Rodent were just here for a java so I asked. :D)

rsser
28th July 2007, 06:52 PM
Final work will happen tomorrow.

Should be relatively simple.

Finishing the foot may be interesting.

The big cole jaws fit in expansion mode ...but the buttons will be pressing against the rim on the inside ... hmmm.

Vac chuck plate with 50cm diam should be ready ... also hmmm.

But we always have the tailstock for insurance and a bit of handwork after.

Jess, it should handle kilo's of potatoes whatever tomorrow's outcome, and if not, well, you got yourself a fine decorative piece!

Thanks again to all the particpants and donors. Salvo's say many thanks for the funds raised ($79).

Pics will of course be posted.

... unless of course ... no, won't say it :oo:

crazyscew
30th July 2007, 12:19 AM
Hi to all the forum members that were at ern's turnfest

I would like to thank those involved with turning the big bowl and a special thank you to Cliff Rogers for the huge effort he put in personally..

Today Rodent.jess & myself were over at rrsers and we have finished the bowl and brung it home there is a happy young lady who practically hugged her bowl for about half an hour on the trip home..

Also a Special thank you to Ern as he was our host again for the day Ern from jess and my heart I would like to thank you again for having us at your home and also thank helen for the lovely scones jessie had a great day aswell as myself & Rodent .

Cheers to all the people we met and again the people who helped with the bowl ..

Thanks Again Ern It was a good day cheers my Friend

:2tsup:

The Pics will now be sent

DJ’s Timber
30th July 2007, 12:26 AM
That has come up beautifully, can't imagine prying that out of Jess's hands now

DJ’s Timber
30th July 2007, 12:44 AM
Just had another thought on it and it doesn't look like it has moved much if at all.

Was the rim still flat?

scooter
30th July 2007, 12:50 AM
Looks very noice :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th July 2007, 01:05 AM
Don't let her hide it! I want to see it before it's christened in mash... :wink:

Harry72
30th July 2007, 01:20 AM
Come up nice, congrats Jess!

Wild Dingo
30th July 2007, 01:21 AM
Stunner of a peice!! :2tsup:

ahem... now about them butts :doh: I at least will try to hide the evidence from the smoke nazis :q and thank goodness theres others that like their spanners in a bucket!! :2tsup: only place for spanners I reckon tossed in a bucket in the corner :;

Cliff Rogers
30th July 2007, 09:32 AM
What happen to the idea to burn or blacken the rim a bit before sanding it???? :?

Looks good, :2tsup: who got the job of sanding?

rsser
30th July 2007, 10:01 AM
Yep DJ, rim was flat enough to power sand (lightly).

The diam had gone out enough to have to sand at about the slowest speed around the rim.

For a fair chunk of time one of us was working the outside while the other was doing the inside :p For reverse chucking the big Cole jaws worked expanding against the rim.

Jess showed great stamina despite having been a party girl the night before. :2tsup:

Thanks DJ for the blank. The bowl shows some nice flashes of red and some good figure around the base.

And thanks Crazy and Rodent for the tucker and all the turning wisdom. ... and darned if I forgot to give you a chunk of the NIP Rodent. Any case, sing out if you're in the neighbourhood again.

rodent
31st July 2007, 01:32 PM
Now for some answers to questions .
That has come up beautifully, can't imagine prying that out of Jess's hands now dj
Only if you have a death wish Dj .
Just had another thought on it and it doesn't look like it has moved much if at all.

Was the rim still flat? Erns being generous it had total move ment of about 20mm or more in some places ,after that session of sanding i think we all could sand a rotating double helix .
Skew ChiDAMN!! Don't let her hide it! I want to see it before it's christened in mash... :wink:
skew im getting a 5kg bag or may be a 10kg bag of spuds 1kg cheese 250 gr of blue .your mum got a big pot? Jessie calls it a mash coma
got to take my sister to school finish this post when i get back .Im back now ill do a new post.

rodent
31st July 2007, 02:47 PM
Back from shuttle dutys ,Wild Dingo Stunner of a peice!! :2tsup:

ahem... now about them butts :doh: I at least will try to hide the evidence from the smoke nazis :q and thank goodness theres others that like their spanners in a bucket!! :2tsup: only place for spanners I reckon tossed in a bucket in the corner :;
As for the butts well look out the window it's dark ,we left before it was dark so guys who's the culprit ? the spanners well the tool box is not big enough and if it was id want big wheels on it .And if you look real hard ,the bowls lying on an old office computer . Hey it was handy in the middle of the room near the vacume cleaner .
Cliff Rogers What happen to the idea to burn or blacken the rim a bit before sanding it???? :?

Looks good, :2tsup: who got the job of sanding?

Burn who wants burt spuds? and a broken burnt line on the rim just doesn't cut it for me.How about you cliff it wasn't realy round any more .As for sanding it was a tag team event with ern , jess ,crazyscew and I . so it was a team effort .

And thanks Crazy and Rodent for the tucker and all the turning wisdom. ... and darned if I forgot to give you a chunk of the NIP Rodent. Any case, sing out if you're in the neighbourhood again.

NIP ? what's that is it contagious . As for the bbQ no problems ern we had a great day ( i know jess sept real well that night . like too 12.30 the next day ) oh and ern we want to see that bullet pen in the forum when you have finished it .Are you going to sand the bowl you have chucked up the crazyscew ( fred ) way with the belt sander ?LOL :o

Look forward to seeing some work
of yours within the forums, especially the Osage Orange. allan at wallen.

osage where oh damn sorry Allan i should have got some from you oh well there's always next time .did you get some skew ? an orange goblet maybe?

thanks to Ern and all thoughs involved it has been a great couple of days . oh and who was it that was telling me about where i can get cheep cup cutters from ? ive got a new project in mind ( what mind ?) oh well hope to see you all again soon .:U PS thank your lovely lady for us the scones and cream they were great ( yes guys scones jam and cream this time ) .

rodent
31st July 2007, 03:01 PM
Oh sorry ern for got to bring bertha over for you to have a go at, ill bring her over next time and we will have a go at making some thing with her (cue sticks maybe ) .:cool:

rsser
31st July 2007, 03:10 PM
NIP ... Norfolk (Island) Pine, Rodent. There's a big lump with your name on it ;-} Should give that hollower of yours a run.

And thanks again for the home-made scraper for the Sorby; nice solid bit of kit.

Cheap cup cutters; try McJing. Not sure whether they're threaded though, as the Mk 2 Munro cutters are. But you're using the old Proforme so I don't know whether you need it.

Yeah, the run-out in the diameter made for interesting sanding at times. But the axial (?) run-out ... top to bottom of the bowl ... was I think what DJ was referring to and that was remarkably slight so the texturing survived pretty evenly all the way round.

In design terms the wide undercut rim was a good idea ... I think it braced the whole bowl. Bouquets to whoever made that choice. (And it allowed Cole jaw chucking; the vac port on that Stubby is still an unknown quantity; the sealing washer around the spindle is pretty new but they do wear).

Yep, next time I tackle sanding like that (and along with finishing it was the best part of a day's work working from 60 to 400 grit) I'll get out the 7" sander/polisher as see what damage that can do. But Cliff did a darn fine job off the scraper on the inside. Just some tear-out at the transition to the rim which should be covered in mash most of the time :U

TTIT
31st July 2007, 03:41 PM
............the sealing washer around the spindle is pretty new but they do wear)...............Pretty quickly I've discovered :~:C:B

rsser
31st July 2007, 03:51 PM
ah, didn't want to know that, but just as well I made no assumptions about it on Sun!

I guess there's always the old copper pipe though the spindle trick number 99.

Ah, but you're using a yew-beaut vac pump aren't you? When the washer was designed for an asthmatic Electrolux from the op shop?