PDA

View Full Version : Road problems

DavidG
16th July 2007, 05:31 PM
I am having problems with my road on the block.

The ground is freezing to a depth of 100mm.

During the day the top thaws out and I finish up with a 25mm layer of pure slop on top of an ice layer.

Given the slope averages 1 in 8 it cause some great 4 wheel slides :o

Granite country.

Any ideas on what to do???

les88
16th July 2007, 06:13 PM
where is you block? Thredbo?
:doh:
les

DavidG
16th July 2007, 06:18 PM
Not that far away from there.
Only 40 min to Mt Selwyn snow fields.

Its near Adaminaby at 1100 metres.

Not saying it gets cold but we were there the other weekend and I put a bowl of water out for the dog and the water froze. That was at 10am....:o
Beautiful in summer. Bit cold in winter...

ps: I should add, in case some one recommends concrete, the road is 1,000m long.

Barry_White
16th July 2007, 06:22 PM
How about concreting it next summer.

wheelinround
16th July 2007, 06:25 PM
I am having problems with my road on the block.

The ground is freezing to a depth of 100mm.

During the day the top thaws out and I finish up with a 25mm layer of pure slop on top of an ice layer.

Given the slope averages 1 in 8 it cause some great 4 wheel slides :o

Granite country.

Any ideas on what to do???

Yep two wheel slides n broken legs stunts with video attached n pics:U

chrisp
16th July 2007, 06:50 PM
I put a bowl of water out for the dog and the water froze. That was at 10am....:o

How's the dog surviving?

Eli
16th July 2007, 07:17 PM
I guess they wouldn't let you salt the roads here? Sounds like drainage might be a secondary problem? Less water=less problem. Need a layer of crushed road base put down in the summer maybe.

Article99
16th July 2007, 07:22 PM
Probably got its tongue stuck to a patch of ice somewhere.... :P

Even at 1,000m long, gravel is getting out of the question due to price, ay?

How about snow chains? :P

DavidG
16th July 2007, 08:21 PM
Sounds like drainage might be a secondary problem? Less water=less problem.

That is how I have approached it. The problem started from a snow covering that melted slowly and froze into the road.
There are long ice crystals going down 100mm. Each thaw freeze cycle it seem to be doing more damage to the road.

The secret seems to be to enter the block whilst the ground is still frozen in the early morning but it becomes interesting to leave in the afternoon.

wheelinround
17th July 2007, 11:09 AM
My daughter used to work with a woman who had property down that way also
They found out much of the area is under some sort of heritage listing there propety has a number of old stone shacks on it and they can do little without first consulting Council etc.
if your run off flows towards the river/creek then your going to be in the same boat I reckon
I believe their name was Malakoff

Meanderland
5th August 2007, 02:35 PM
I know exactly what you are experiencing because you almost described our driveway! :B

We are located about 100 km North of Canberra at 830m altitude. Our driveway is fine to drive on after rain or when frosted over but when it thaws it is real mush.

The only way to prevent it is to have a decent covering of heavy gravel with minimal clay / soil amongst it. 'cause what happens is, any moisture within the soil freezes (expands) and BREAKS the soil structure. When it thaws it is just a mix of water and soil particles = slush.
Our road covering was done with gravel from a pit at the back of the property. Unfortunately it is very shaley. Shale gravel breaks down when wet and subjected to loads. It cost us $4,200 to have it done using gravel from our own pit which is located 1-1/2 km from our driveway. It was done only 4 years ago and needed doing again 2 years ago! I 'ain't got the money to buy and transport good gravel from a suitable pit 15 km away!
The only way I can handle our situation at the moment is to find the worst sections and gravel those myself.
Road maintenance is a costly component for properties with steep access roads.

re: the freezing dog bowl. :)
About a month ago we had a real blast of cold weather for a week or two. Every day I had to go around the stock troughs and smash up the ice on them. On our back step there was a stainless steel dog bowl frozen solid. I tipped it out onto the grass. That block was still intact 5 days later until the weather warmed up a bit. :oo:

Good luck with it.

dazzler
5th August 2007, 07:15 PM
How's the dog surviving?

Hes just chillin with it :D

Eli
6th August 2007, 04:12 AM
You know, I don't know if it will help any, but when we used to film car commercials on the sand, we'd lay down chain link fence to prevent the vehicles from getting mired. I know you wouldn't be able to do the whole thing, but if you found it as a pre-used material, and you were only using it for the worst stretch? Don't know if it really helps, obviously it's not a long term or overall solution....

DavidG
6th August 2007, 10:28 AM
You know, I don't know if it will help any, but when we used to film car commercials on the sand, we'd lay down chain link fence to prevent the vehicles from getting mired. I know you wouldn't be able to do the whole thing, but if you found it as a pre-used material, and you were only using it for the worst stretch? Don't know if it really helps, obviously it's not a long term or overall solution....
Thanks.
I have heard of that one and am looking for a supply.
One section became a bog.
Now impassible........
Wife stepped onto it and went down to the knee. :o

Now have a 50m section to dig out to about 500mm and backfill with gravel and drains. 50 * 3 * .5 = 75cubic metres. :C

Oh well it can wait. Just bought a boat and onsite van down the coast so I am going fishing instead.......:U :U

Allan at Wallan
23rd October 2007, 12:29 PM
Simple answer:

Move to Wallan in Victoria.
Beautiful one day - much the same the next.

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.