PDA

View Full Version : Clamping plywood T & G and what type of filler

lateral
16th July 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi guys

My project for laying a T & G plywood floor on top of a very uneven slab is well under way and I have just finished laying down the ply and cutting out any bits due to piers etc.

I have a few questions that I need answered prior to glueing and screwing:

1. I was going to use Liquid Nails for Floors and Decks (http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Liquid-Nails-Floors-and-Decks/default.aspx) is this ok?

2. Ideally I do not want any gaps between the edges of plywood sheets so I suppose that I need to clamp the sheets tight? As I am doing this by myself, can I screw a strong batten across the joists and simply use some wedges? or should I hire some clamps?

3. Do I put glue into the actual tongue groove and all edges of the ply sheeting?

4. As I am going to paint the ply with Berger Jet-Dry (I have spoken to the Berger Technical people) I want to fill any imperfections...can I use "builders bog"?

Thanks guys for any help you can provide.

Regards
Greg

SilentButDeadly
19th July 2007, 05:06 PM
1. I was going to use Liquid Nails for Floors and Decks. Is this ok? If to glue sheets to joists, Yes. But not really necessary if you are using screws as well...

2. Ideally I do not want any gaps between the edges of plywood sheets so I suppose that I need to clamp the sheets tight? As I am doing this by myself, can I screw a strong batten across the joists and simply use some wedges? or should I hire some clamps? Nope - should join up clean with some assistance from a mallet then your glue/screws will keep it tight. If not absolutely perfect to your satisfaction (unlikely) then dress with paintable sikaflex or mastic.

3. Do I put glue into the actual tongue groove and all edges of the ply sheeting? No. Only between sheet and joist (but even that isn't truely necessary). Make sure you keep a 5mm gap between sheet and wall too.

4. As I am going to paint the ply with Berger Jet-Dry (I have spoken to the Berger Technical people) I want to fill any imperfections...can I use "builders bog"? Yep. If it's good enough for cars....

lateral
19th July 2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I have decided to use Liquid Nails High Strength at the cost of the Liquid Nails for Floors and Desks was 3 times the price!

On the packet it recommends putting some in the groove to stop any squeaks.