PDA

View Full Version : CNC Router for the Disabled

crocky
17th July 2007, 10:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am a disabled woodworker who became disabled about 5 and a half years ago after I had a rather large stroke and almost died. I somehow managed to survive and now I have a right hand side that is prettywell useless, no arm movement to speak of and with a splint on the right leg so that I can walk. I used to have an electric wheelchair but I don't need that now. I have got a modified Astra automatic that has the acellerator on the other side of the brake pedal and a spinner knob on the steering wheel (and that's all it has) so it can be used with just the left foot :) and I was right handed before the stroke too. I was the director of a Computer company before I had the stroke so I now write almost everything with a keyboard :)

Woodworking? Well yes!! I am part way through the construction of a CNC Router table http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35996 and I have picked a few brains along the way and I have had some valuable help from Greolt (pretty sure he is a user here too) who has been doing some machining and fitting some parts together for me. I did intend to buy a lot of the parts but Greolt has done most of it for me! A BIG thank you Greolt!

I have a project in mind for the CNC and that is the reason for putting it together and that a router should be used with two hands really meant I had to design and build a CNC router table. I can't tell you what the project is just yet but lets just say I am an Artist and I will make good use of it :)

wheelinround
17th July 2007, 11:33 AM
Looks impressive

I am going to make a rotor table for myself but nothing as elaborate couldn't afford what you have made for starters looking at your other forum site.

Hope you have fun with it :2tsup:

crocky
17th July 2007, 11:44 AM
Hi,

I'm sure I will :2tsup:

There is a fairly detailed story on my site at http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html it has the whole story on the other bits you need as well to make a CNC work :)

wheelinround
17th July 2007, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I'm sure I will :2tsup:

There is a fairly detailed story on my site at http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html it has the whole story on the other bits you need as well to make a CNC work :)

Well done nice site.....now go on tell us the wife was out the day you had assembled the bench in the carpeted lounge room??

I have just become a grandfather myself June 8th Nathan 52cm (21") 6.145 kilos (close enought to10 pound) but he doesn't look fat as he is long.

I have just past you site onto a friend who had a stokea few years ago and is wallowing all to often. The thing he misses most is flying as he had pilots licence for up to 6 or 8 pax. An Electrician previously, gets around on a gopher or with s quad or walking stick.

les88
18th July 2007, 09:29 AM
Hello Crocky,
Well done! I have visited your site and the WIP is outstanding. I have been tossing up for years on a CNC system since I saw a review in Silicon Chip for one doing PCB. I am a woodworker, I don't have access to a metal lathe, so I thought of making it out of Melamine, do you think this would be durable or would it be a better approach to go with the aluminum construction. My primary goal would be PCB and designs on boxes.
thank
les
:2tsup:

crocky
18th July 2007, 09:46 AM
Well done nice site.....now go on tell us the wife was out the day you had assembled the bench in the carpeted lounge room??

I have just become a grandfather myself June 8th Nathan 52cm (21") 6.145 kilos (close enought to10 pound) but he doesn't look fat as he is long.

I have just past you site onto a friend who had a stokea few years ago and is wallowing all to often. The thing he misses most is flying as he had pilots licence for up to 6 or 8 pax. An Electrician previously, gets around on a gopher or with s quad or walking stick.

Hi,

Actually I am assembling it in the office, it was the computer room before I had the stroke so we have given it coat of paint and thats my room now :)

Good on Nathan :) they are magic grandkids and they are living reasonably close so we see them quite often.

I hope he logs on to the site bbs, it is primarily for stroke survivors and what they can do or would like to. I used to fly gliders so I know how he feels!

crocky
18th July 2007, 10:12 AM
Hello Crocky,
Well done! I have visited your site and the WIP is outstanding. I have been tossing up for years on a CNC system since I saw a review in Silicon Chip for one doing PCB. I am a woodworker, I don't have access to a metal lathe, so I thought of making it out of Melamine, do you think this would be durable or would it be a better approach to go with the aluminum construction. My primary goal would be PCB and designs on boxes.
thank
les
:2tsup:

Hi Les,

Well CNC is a pretty good therapy operation :)

The best place I could send you to for anything CNC is the american site called www.cnczone.com (http://www.cnczone.com) and go into the forums, all the details are on my post there in the CNC Router Log but building in aluminium is good because the frame is pre-cut.

You have to work out what size cutting area and then get the measuring gear out and start. I started by buying the router first, it's only an ozito but it was a start because I can only use one hand it needed to go on a CNC table. Then I got the american xylotex stepper motor kit and then the frame came along after that :)

I did not start the frame until I had read heaps on cnczone and formulated a project on what I had learnt from the site and there are heaps of aussies there too. You might even find one who lives close to you and can help you. There is Greolt who lives at Geelong (and is doing the metalwork for mine) and Rod1952 who is in Perth and both of them have a heap of knowledge about CNC.

Melamine is probably fine but I would use aluminium every time simply for it's strength and the fact that you can order a kit of parts to your own specific design and it comes ready to install. But if it is not an option and you want build in timber the cnczone would be the place to ask questions.

les88
18th July 2007, 06:33 PM
Hello Bob,
I have been looking at cnczone for a while now, just not sure which way to go. I will watch your progress. I agree with your suggestion of a cnc forum site here, we would learn together.
thanks
les

Greolt
18th July 2007, 08:01 PM
Les

On the site that Crocky is referring to there are a lot of successful machines made primarily from MDF.

There are a number of detailed plans posted that are free to use.

JGRO, Lionclaw and Joe2000 are some of the popular ones. Do a search. Lots of info.

Joe2000 is in my opinion the better one. Lots of these built and under way around the world.

Isn't the internet great. :)

Greolt

les88
19th July 2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for you help Bob / Greolt I spent an hour this morning on cnczone and most of the cnc machines are quite large. I am thinking of an A4 sized machine. I have a few routers, but for small work the Demtel is great and it can be used with one hand easily.
regards
les

joez
20th July 2007, 10:34 AM
hmmm just when I thought I had enough tools, this comes along! I work in IT and my hobbie is woodworking, so this is heaven for me!

Now I just have to convince swmbo :no:

Crocky keep us posted, I'd love to see more pics... looks like an awesome project, workmanship looks first rate, hard to believe it isn't a commercial machine.

Had a quick look at cnczone and there seems to be a few suppliers out there for the electronics/controllers etc... Is there anybody making Gantry kits (I am lazy)??

thanks

joez

crocky
20th July 2007, 07:58 PM
hmmm just when I thought I had enough tools, this comes along! I work in IT and my hobbie is woodworking, so this is heaven for me!

Now I just have to convince swmbo :no:

Crocky keep us posted, I'd love to see more pics... looks like an awesome project, workmanship looks first rate, hard to believe it isn't a commercial machine.

Had a quick look at cnczone and there seems to be a few suppliers out there for the electronics/controllers etc... Is there anybody making Gantry kits (I am lazy)??

thanks
joez

Hi Joez,

I like that one, do it slowly and she wont notice :D

The whole story so far is on my website up a few messages, I did an update this afternoon so it has all the latest information. Greolt is doing some machining work for me at present.

I got the electronics ready to go from the US (xylotex) and I also got the nook ballscrews from the US www.homeshopcnc.com. There is nowhere here that would come near the price I paid. Mine is not the cheapest that you could build, there are even a couple of blokes here building joes2006 router tables out of mdf. I don't know of anyone building gantry's for sale. Best way is do what I have done or what a number of users on cnczone have done and build a solid frame and gantry with the help of some generous people.

Commercial CNC machines would be far too expensive!

crocky
20th July 2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for you help Bob / Greolt I spent an hour this morning on cnczone and most of the cnc machines are quite large. I am thinking of an A4 sized machine. I have a few routers, but for small work the Demtel is great and it can be used with one hand easily.
regards
les

Hi Les,

Keep looking at the cnczone, there are quite few around an A4 size and you need to spend longer than an hour or two there and there are even some that use dremels too :)

crocky
10th August 2007, 09:58 PM
She is finished now and I am feeling my way around at present. The Dell PC died in the move from the front room to the shed so I am looking for something else now.

In the meantime I will use my notebook, tested it today and it works good :) I'll get the table surfaced properly tomorrow and buy some wood and get busy making things!!!

wheelinround
11th August 2007, 08:37 AM
She is finished now and I am feeling my way around at present. The Dell PC died in the move from the front room to the shed so I am looking for something else now.

In the meantime I will use my notebook, tested it today and it works good :) I'll get the table surfaced properly tomorrow and buy some wood and get busy making things!!!

Good on you Crocky

:oo: Dell Died could have been the shock :o of going out in the cold :D

This posses the question of dust and dirt in PC's which are connected as such???

keep us updated don't forget the pics.

les88
11th August 2007, 09:03 AM
Yes so pictures of the finished job, it didn't take as long as I thought to make it.
:2tsup::2tsup:
les

crocky
11th August 2007, 10:59 PM
Good on you Crocky

:oo: Dell Died could have been the shock :o of going out in the cold :D

This posses the question of dust and dirt in PC's which are connected as such???

keep us updated don't forget the pics.

Yep, look like it was too cold :(

I have just written to the gent I bought it off, don't hold much hope... but you never know?

Dust and dirt would be problem but I am fairly busy with a vacuum cleaner so we will see over time I guess. Got the top fastened to the table today and I will bolt the drop/slide saw to the work bench tomorrow (new from bunnings).

Getting closer to doing some real cuts now :)

crocky
11th August 2007, 11:02 PM
Yes so pictures of the finished job, it didn't take as long as I thought to make it.
:2tsup::2tsup:
les

G'day Les,

It probably took about 7 months from start to finish which was not too bad. Here a video of it's first movements when the Dell was working it. http://www.youtube.com/v/KAvD1IvYsV0

crocky
25th August 2007, 02:57 PM
The first finished job, it is for our grandson :)

Bit of mdf which was painted with some blue paint I had before it was machined :) it is about 130mm x 95mm.

wheelinround
25th August 2007, 03:00 PM
pics wheres the pics

crocky
25th August 2007, 03:06 PM
Had to edit the size :(

les88
25th August 2007, 04:57 PM
crocky, great machine, great name tag.
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
les

joez
26th August 2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Crocky, looks good mate.

What software are you planning on using?

joez

crocky
27th August 2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Crocky, looks good mate.

What software are you planning on using?

joez

Hi Joez,

Still testing as far as the software is concerned, I have licenced a copy of mach 3 and I have found it quite good as a CNC controller and I have got a ShuttlePro2 for jogging etc so it is going along quite nicely now :)

I have just done a couple more signs for the other grandkids :D

joez
28th August 2007, 01:45 PM
Yes Mach3 is an awesome program, what did you use to draw up the signs?

Vcarve pro looks nice, but at this stage its a little out of my budget.

thanks
joez

crocky
24th September 2007, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Joez, the graphics are mostly done with vectors and I have got heaps of them :) I like v-carve too but not quite able to afford it yet but it will probably be the one.

Been a bit quiet for a while, I have been working slowly on plans for a dust collector. I did not have an idea how it can affect you. I have been reading Bill Pentz's site and it is fairly critical about most systems available commercially so it is important what we watch what we breathe when woodworking.

I have had a look at all of the cyclone related stuff on here (lots) and I think that is the way to go for me. We had a VAX until I got hold of it (ppffftttt) so I had to replace it. After watching the movie on cyclone dust collectors (thanks Gumby) that is the way to go for me so I went out and got a Pullman AS-3 last friday and we did a tour around a lot of newly built homes yesterday and managed to find a lot of paint cans with lids and clamps in the rubbish containers :) Today I will finish my rough drawings of a cyclone system that started life as two paint cans and get some more parts from Bunnings. I think I want something better than the funnel from supercheap so I will be looking around for something a bit better, may have to chop up a can and make a funnel :)

bpj1968
24th September 2007, 12:58 PM
Try a dog elizabeth collar. They are light but if inside a can they shouldn;t be affected by the vacuum.

Found this on eBay for under $15
http://members.optusnet.com.au/carmenng/PCL016/a.jpg

crocky
25th September 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Brian,

Like the look of the dog collar :)

I went down to supercheap and looked at the funnels yesterday just to see what they looked like. I ended up buying two of them. It would have ended up costing too much to achieve the same thing so I weakened :)

I also went to the local mitre 10 and bought a y-bend, end cap and two 1 metre lengths of 40mm pipe so I think we have enough to get building now.

crocky
25th September 2007, 02:32 PM
Here's a piccy of the hardware before I begin working on it :)

It is all really cheap so far :D

crocky
25th January 2008, 08:20 PM
The full story on the completed cyclonic vacuum system is at http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cyclonic.html and it works extremely well :)

wheelinround
26th January 2008, 09:28 AM
Well done Crocky good to see your doing well :2tsup:

snowyskiesau
26th January 2008, 10:06 AM
Great work, I like the look of the 8020 frame.
Like others here, I'm considering building a CNC router.
Lacking any facilities for metal work, I was going to build out of MDF, probably this design: http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx. (http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx) but your build looks a good alternative.

To get familiar with CNC software, I'm going to build this one http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-Build-Desk-Top-3-Axis-CNC-Milling-Machine (http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-Build-Desk-Top-3-Axis-CNC-Milling-Machine/).
It wont be that accurate but should be a cheap learning experience - and fun!

crocky
26th January 2008, 11:57 AM
Great work, I like the look of the 8020 frame.

To get familiar with CNC software, I'm going to build this one http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-Build-Desk-Top-3-Axis-CNC-Milling-Machine (http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-Build-Desk-Top-3-Axis-CNC-Milling-Machine/).
It wont be that accurate but should be a cheap learning experience - and fun!

Hi Geoff,

The frame is good if you don't have access to a machine shop or know someone who has. The ITEM frame is probably expensive but it was the best way for me to get one built. Of course I had heaps of help from Greolt but that is part of the CNC thing :) There is more info at http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html if you really want a good read.

Good on you for building a cheap one first and the indestructables machine looks like it would be fun anyway.

crocky
26th January 2008, 11:59 AM
Well done Crocky good to see your doing well :2tsup:

Gotta be, life is worth living :)

AV Elec
29th January 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi crocky,

Great build, you should be very proud:2tsup:

It doesn't seem like you used fixed end bearing housings with your ball screws at the motor end?
How did you secure the fixed end to the frame?
Does it give you any backlash?

Cheers,

Tony

Greolt
30th January 2008, 08:26 AM
G'day Tony

At the risk of stealing Bob's thunder (sorry Bob) I'll jump in here.

The reason is I have some pics which Bob probably does not have.

These will show how Bob has set up his ballscrew bearings.

First pic shows the three mounts for the X axis ready to fit.

Motor end has a dual race angular contact bearing and the other just a simple support bearing.

Second pic is of the Y axis set up in place. Same bearing used at the motor end.

Greg

EDIT: Pics are the wrong way around. You get the idea. :)

crocky
30th January 2008, 09:00 PM
Hi Greg and Tony,

That is fine with me Greg, I now have another two piccy's :D

It works really well thanks Tony :)

AV Elec
30th January 2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for that guys

crocky
31st January 2008, 07:36 AM
Some of the latest productions :)

They are for sale on eBay :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320211396145&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=320211395187&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

crocky
31st January 2008, 03:22 PM
New cyclonic vacuum system, uses drink bottles for funnels and it seems to work pretty good.

The website is worth a look http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51385

snowyskiesau
31st January 2008, 03:52 PM
I like the look of that dust extractor.
I wonder if there are any efficiencies in multiple small cyclones over a single larger cyclone?

crocky
31st January 2008, 04:18 PM
I like the look of that dust extractor.
I wonder if there are any efficiencies in multiple small cyclones over a single larger cyclone?

It would almost be worth a try just to see, the big plus for me is seeing what is going in the big bin :) The present one works but there is always room for improvement so a mark II might be on the go :)

Greolt
31st January 2008, 06:44 PM
Some of the latest productions :)

They are for sale on eBay :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320211396145&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=320211395187&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Good stuff Bob.

What material are you making them out of? Are they really 50mm high?

Greg

crocky
31st January 2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Greg,

50mm high is yes and 125mm wide.

Thickness is only 8mm :) flooring boards, great veneer :)

Greolt
31st January 2008, 10:29 PM
Is that the floating floor type? Is it a ply type backing?

Greg

crocky
1st February 2008, 09:52 AM
It is high density floating floor type and the material looks like MDF between a couple of thin vaneers, timber on top and plastic underside. It machines really nicely when you have worked out feed and speed and what tools to use :)

rodm
2nd February 2008, 02:25 AM
Nice work Bob. Good to see you making a quid from the machine too.

crocky
5th February 2008, 09:22 AM
Nice work Bob. Good to see you making a quid from the machine too.

Re-organising the shed at the moment and I have moved the router down towards one end and now I have to clean the bench down for the monitor and keyboard %^&$ :)

The 20 litre tins are part of my cyclonic vacuum system with the extension on for cleaning the floor, should paint it one of these days :)

wheelinround
5th February 2008, 09:43 AM
Crocky couldn't you make or get a swinging boom set up for the computer and attach it to the CNC table like a TV wall monitor set up

I have a monitor keyboard mount set up on the desk available at Office Works

crocky
5th February 2008, 02:58 PM
Crocky couldn't you make or get a swinging boom set up for the computer and attach it to the CNC table like a TV wall monitor set up

I have a monitor keyboard mount set up on the desk available at Office Works

Would be worth a look, thanks for the tip :)

crocky
2nd April 2008, 04:34 PM
Howdy,

The software I have just bought is VCarve Pro and PhotoVCarve and I am now converting my drawings to work with it. Nice package :)

crocky
7th April 2008, 09:16 PM
Just about to get a compressed air / vacuum clamp for the CNC. This one uses the compressed air that my compressor puts out to produce a vacuum. The vacuum clamp has some other bits that should make it even better for CNC use. More later, I'm still waiting for it to come :)

crocky
11th April 2008, 05:43 PM
I got a vac-clamp yesterday to use with the CNC machine.

What a good little thing it is :) Uses the compressed air from my compressor through a venturi arrangement to produce a vacuum. I got the valve to operate it as well and it looks pretty neat now that I have mounted it on to the table. I was sure the plastic chopping board would produce a big leak and not seal because it has a raised criss/cross pattern on the surface, not to worry it sealed very well and tight too.

I primarily got the vac-clamp to enable me to do some lithophanes without the need for clamping with various levers and things. Now I just have to learn the software :) and test with various materials :)

There is some other parts that I have got for it too, some spacer blocks and a deeper gasket that you can apparently cut holes through the bottom surface of the part being machined with out destroying all of the vacuum. Have not tested these yet, but when I do....

Did my first Lithophane today, it is rough and I did not use a real good tool and it is magic. The clamp held it very nicely and we will have to see how it looks after a tool change and some fidling with speeds and stuff :)

The photo's are the Vac-Clamp, the valve, the instructions and a sample cutting board to test it's operation.

WillyInBris
11th April 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Bob was looking at these a while ago, what size compressor are you using on the end of it and whats the air consumption like, well I guess how long until the compressor has to kick in?

crocky
11th April 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Bob was looking at these a while ago, what size compressor are you using on the end of it and whats the air consumption like, well I guess how long until the compressor has to kick in?

Hi Willy,

The compressor is a Bunning's standard Craftsman 2 HP, don't know what size the receiver is.

Surprising not real often 10 to 15 minutes before it kicks in for about 5 minutes.

crocky
11th April 2008, 06:11 PM
First Lithophane!

Not cleaned up, still got chips everywhere :) and the test piece was a cutting board of only 6 mm :)

rodm
11th April 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Bob,
Litho looks great :2tsup:
Vacuum table looks like the ticket as well.

wheelinround
12th April 2008, 07:06 AM
Crocky impressive stuff

howd you go with computer placement

crocky
12th April 2008, 10:18 AM
G'day,

I'm still thinking about it :)

I did look at the arms in officeworks but decided against them, I have got something in mind to get the keyboard and the monitor taken care of. Just got to build it when I have some time :) Too busy working out the engraving now and the wife wants things done around the house as well :)

rodm
12th April 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Bob,
We are working on a couple of different consoles over this side so that might give you some ideas. Complete units that house computer, monitor, keyboard, touchpads (mouse), MPG's and lots of switches and lights.
Also have been building a new machine which is nearly finished so a bit of interesting stuff from the other side.
I had an arguement with the table saw so I am out of action for a while but I will get off my backside soon and post something.

WillyInBris
14th April 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Willy,

The compressor is a Bunning's standard Craftsman 2 HP, don't know what size the receiver is.

Surprising not real often 10 to 15 minutes before it kicks in for about 5 minutes.

Hi Bob thanks for that info :2tsup:,

Sorry mate another question I was thinking about this when driving home today, whats the vacume kit like with MDF? As I am thinking MDF is more porus will the compressor kick in more often I guess you could maybe seal it with sanding sealer if thats the case(sorry bob just thing whilst typing :D).

Sean

echnidna
14th April 2008, 08:27 PM
MDF is porous just like blotting paper,
It will need at least 4 or 5 sealer coats of thinned poly to seal it adequately for vacuum clamping

crocky
30th April 2008, 09:35 PM
YouTube - Bob's CNC Router

Better late than never :)

Bob's first cut :)

rodm
30th April 2008, 10:50 PM
That first run is a magic moment. :2tsup:

wheelinround
1st May 2008, 09:04 AM
:2tsup: EXCELLENT BOB

Clinton1
1st May 2008, 10:24 AM
thats a bloody great setup. Well done... I want one!

crocky
3rd May 2008, 11:58 AM
Here is another one and it even shows the machine's workings this time!

This is a Litho of Isaiah (grandchild) after rolling onto his tummy for the first time :) nearly perfect now.

YouTube - How I Made my first Lithophane

Enjoy :)

wheelinround
4th May 2008, 09:49 AM
:2tsup: Crocky

Windows being windows I'd hate to see what happens should it come to a "blue screen" or "Out of memory/Rescources" message.:doh:

Whats if you don't mind been the total cost of the set up??
Including computer software etc.

Ray

crocky
4th May 2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Ray,

Don't want anymore of those blue screens of windows :( already been there with first computer.

It is probably around the $5000 to $5,500 mark and that would be everything including the Vectric VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve and the Mach 3.

It is a lot of money when you look at it, but I have gotten a really good CNC Router for the investment, just have to get it to start paying it's way :).

I have put a Milwaukee Die Grinder on it recently and it is good too.

wheelinround
4th May 2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Ray,

Don't want anymore of those blue screens of windows :( already been there with first computer.

It is probably around the $5000 to $5,500 mark and that would be everything including the Vectric VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve and the Mach 3.

It is a lot of money when you look at it, but I have gotten a really good CNC Router for the investment, just have to get it to start paying it's way :).

I have put a Milwaukee Die Grinder on it recently and it is good too.

Thanks Crocky all up not bad I guess out of my ball park sadly.

The first of these I saw (1996) was making name plates for toggle switches more an engraver then it used to dance across the work bench smaller version bought for about $2500 attached to AutoCad for design.

What materials have you used so far.

echnidna
4th May 2008, 11:22 AM
Wheelin there is some "old dos" beta software available as free download (http://www.dancad3d.com) that will run a cnc machine quite well, though its a pain using dos cad.

wheelinround
4th May 2008, 11:41 AM
Wheelin there is some "old dos" beta software available as free download (http://www.dancad3d.com) that will run a cnc machine quite well, though its a pain using dos cad.

Thanks Bob learnt on Old Dos AutoCad still have the Text and Lisp routines books.

Still its the other equipment needed

maybe after daughters wedding next year.:roll: brought forward 2 years thanks to FIL poor old fella looks like he wont be there even then. :-

crocky
4th May 2008, 12:51 PM
There is certainly much cheaper ways of doing it, MDF for instance. It probably wouldn't be good for you given your location :)

I saw a build yourself mill here:

YouTube - Easy to build Desktop CNC Mill

You CAN do it with a shoestring budget :)

YouTube - Engraving with the Easy CNC mill

and it works!

I have been cutting, MDF, Pine, Veneer Flooring Sheets and 6mm Corian and it has done really well so far. The bit of sorting the tools out is the biggest thing :)

I am getting some custom backlight frames that use LED's made in China at present and they will be a part of my new business idea with the Corian making Lithophanes.

I have already got a lot of the Corian so I am on the way. I will be able to take a photograph from a customer and make a really personalised momento that is a Litho with backlighting, kids, cars, parents etc. The good thing with all of it is, I am not disabled :)

wheelinround
5th May 2008, 10:16 AM
I have already got a lot of the Corian so I am on the way. I will be able to take a photograph from a customer and make a really personalised momento that is a Litho with backlighting, kids, cars, parents etc. The good thing with all of it is, I am not disabled :)

Great stuff well done

:o your not disabled :U I know you mean doing the work.:2tsup:

crocky
16th May 2008, 12:16 PM
Well the xylotex stepper drive stopped working after I did the last lithophane of my grandson and I had to send it off to be repaired by them in the States. It was the Z-axis as I thought, the one the heatsink fell off :(

So I ordered another one so I will have a spare, can't wait to get it working again!

crocky
22nd May 2008, 01:51 PM
Hi,

The board is back and we are in business again :), it is cutting a lithophane right now so we will see how it goes this time. That what I was doing with it when it died :(

I bought a spare board this time just in case too :) and because I have I probably will not need it. Had to set the Vref settings on the board, I set it to about 1.5 volt as that seemed to be the best setting.

rodm
22nd May 2008, 02:33 PM
Good news Bob. :2tsup:

A spare board could mean the start of a new machine. :oo:
Don't let SWMBO read this or I wil get shot.

crocky
22nd May 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks Rod,

It is still cutting at present and still making the right moves at the moment which is really good. I had to pay for the repair and it was out of warranty as I thought so I am not complaining.

Hmmmm, not yet... I have not had enough fun with this one yet :2tsup:

crocky
3rd October 2008, 09:00 PM
Well I am still around the place and I am about to upgrade the router with new steppers, drivers, power supplies, e-stop, cabling etc!

So far I have got the following from Kelinginc:

KL-350-48 a 48 volt at 7.5 amp Power Supply
KL-10-5 a 5 volt at 2 amp Power Supply
4 x KL23H276-28-4B Stepper Motors
C10 Breakout Board
4 Microphone Plugs and Sockets
1 E-Stop Switch

and 5 Geckodrive G251's from Geckodrive at the special startup price

Now all I have to get is a case, some multi lead wire, draw up a circuit diagram, wire it and test the thing

rodm
3rd October 2008, 09:08 PM
Nice :2tsup:

crocky
3rd April 2009, 03:16 PM
Well after sitting here looking at all of the bits sitting around since October last year there is a move afoot to get some work done!

I got the second last case from the gent in Adelaide and I am stripping it down to begin the new electronics build :2tsup:

The original case was way too small, this one should have a bit of spare room left over.

lynda brown
3rd February 2012, 11:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a disabled woodworker who became disabled about 5 and a half years ago after I had a rather large stroke and almost died. I somehow managed to survive and now I have a right hand side that is prettywell useless, no arm movement to speak of and with a splint on the right leg so that I can walk. I used to have an electric wheelchair but I don't need that now. I have got a modified Astra automatic that has the acellerator on the other side of the brake pedal and a spinner knob on the steering wheel (and that's all it has) so it can be used with just the left foot :) and I was right handed before the stroke too. I was the director of a Computer company before I had the stroke so I now write almost everything with a keyboard :)

Woodworking? Well yes!! I am part way through the construction of a CNC Router table Bobs Aussie ITEM Router Table Build - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35996) and I have picked a few brains along the way and I have had some valuable help from Greolt (pretty sure he is a user here too) who has been doing some machining and fitting some parts together for me. I did intend to buy a lot of the parts but Greolt has done most of it for me! A BIG thank you Greolt!

I have a project in mind for the CNC and that is the reason for putting it together and that a router should be used with two hands really meant I had to design and build a CNC router table. I can't tell you what the project is just yet but lets just say I am an Artist and I will make good use of it :)

Hi i wonder if you could help me, i have just read your message and would love some advice from you???? My father who is 66 has had a major stroke and it has affected all his right hand side he is wheel chair bound and can no longer talk just mumbles, before the stroke my dad was a very fit and healthy man who loved diy especially wood. Is there any disabled woodwork materials that would help him with his ocupational therapy (his stroke was 9 months ago)

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Lynda

rodm
5th February 2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Lynda,
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Bob has sold his machine and moved house. He was last active on this forum in October 2009. He might surface as he will get an email from your post so here's hoping.

wheelinround
5th February 2012, 01:41 PM
Hi i wonder if you could help me, i have just read your message and would love some advice from you???? My father who is 66 has had a major stroke and it has affected all his right hand side he is wheel chair bound and can no longer talk just mumbles, before the stroke my dad was a very fit and healthy man who loved diy especially wood. Is there any disabled woodwork materials that would help him with his ocupational therapy (his stroke was 9 months ago)

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Lynda

Hi Lynda

This forum has a disabled section WOODWORKERS WITH DISABILITIES - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f142/) not many of us post there these days. I am one who usess a wheelchair but also can move about some via a draftsmans stool. More of what I do on our blog Wool 'n' Wood (http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/).

There are lots about these days for such as your dad try locating the closest Men Shed to your area or woodworkers group there is hope. Sorry but no idea where your located.

I am a member of the Ornamental Turners Group and we had a member, Col Hemmings who suffered a stroke. 2 of our members dragged him out of the nursing home and he used to turn miniatures for a number of years prior his passing at 83.

Hope your dad improves it is possible.:2tsup: