PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Termite
1st September 2003, 01:04 PM
Searching for a new drill press I have noticed that the generic multi-brand same-factory units, from outer woop woop, all have the nasty habit of chuck float. That is , when you bring the chuck down there is up and down float in the shaft.
This is a no-no when you are countersinking, let alone using a rosette cutter.
Can anyone recommend a decent drill press?:confused:
Regards
Termite

mat
8th September 2003, 10:18 AM
I have just purchased a MetalMaster (Hafco) SPD25A from Hare and Forbes and checked it out for such movement. As far as I am able to detect there is no slop at all.

Dennis Hill
8th September 2003, 08:04 PM
I bought one of those "radial-arm" drill presses from Timbecon last year. The chuck and "quill" (the shaft that moves up and down with the chuck on it) seem to be OK with no slop or backlash.
The thing that convinced me to buy that machine was the distance from the drill-bit to the colum, more than double what was available on other (conventional) machines. The ability to rotate the drilling head for angled holes on big bits of wood is pretty handy too.
Not to mention the ability to drill a series of holes IN LINE without having to move a heavy lump of wood.
I kind of reckon that it's a pretty under-rated tool, the more I use it the more often I think of other tasks it can do.

:)