PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Landseka
18th July 2007, 11:22 AM
I am trying, at long distance, to help my sister set up a wireless router so she can use the laptop I sent her, online.
She bought the router and a wireless dongle for the lappy but the best we can achieve is to have one pc online at a time.
She has her adsl modem (4 port router) connected to the wireless (4 port) router WAN port. Then from port 1 to her desktop.
Does this sound right?
I will be in SA in a couple months but would like to get her set up prior to that.
Thanks

Neil.

Chris Parks
18th July 2007, 01:49 PM
If it is a Dell laptop (I don't know about others) there is a button to activate the wireless (FN + F2). The modem might not be setup ro allow a new computer, some need permissions set using the IP address of the new computer. The Whirlpool forums are a huge resource when dealing with this stuff. What sort of laptop, router and modem?

Eli
18th July 2007, 02:01 PM
And I clicked in wondering why you hadn't called it a 'cordless router'.......

Mirboo
18th July 2007, 05:02 PM
This is my wireless router.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/mirboo/My%20Planes/th_PS_IMG_3286.jpg (http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/mirboo/My%20Planes/PS_IMG_3286.jpg)

I've also had a lot of trouble getting it to work with my PC. I couldn't even find where to plug it into my computer, it is wireless after all. :U

Wood Butcher
18th July 2007, 07:36 PM
I had a problem similar years ago and the problem was a conflict between the DHCP settings. I got a IT mate of to fix it so I have no idea what to do but that may be it????

Glenn_M
18th July 2007, 09:19 PM
Have I got this right? Got the ADSL connected to the Wireless router which feeds both the desktop via port 1 or via wireless link to the lappy?

So both PC's can access the internet but not at the same time?

If this is so - have you set the Workgroup for both PC as the same workgroup name (Hoping at this stage we are talking Windows machines..........)?

Experienced same problem when setting up my home network a few years back. As WoodButcher says also check the DHCP settings. In your case the wireless router should dynamically assign addresses, not the ADSL modem/router.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Landseka
20th July 2007, 07:11 PM
Hi guys, sorry for the long silence, I've been away a bit (the tribulations of new retirement<sigh> )
I have given up, I will wait til the new caravan is delivered, next week, in Bunbury WA then will head for Adelaide, via Streaky Bay (sisters home) via Broome (cos we can:D ) and try to sort it out with the lappy on my knee.

Glenn, you have the setup correct and it is windows system, XP. Workgroup naming could be the problem.

I will try to see what DHCP does, have no idea at this stage.

Thanks for all your help

Regards

Neil

FXST01
20th July 2007, 11:52 PM
Try connecting the ADSL modem to a LAN port on the router instead of the WAN port.