PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Wood Show

Tankstand
18th July 2007, 06:20 PM
Just received a Club Woody news letter and noticed this!

The show also features a brand new addition for visitors, the Coopers Beer & Burger Barn. On offer will be beef burgers, pies, sandwiches and sweets, and of course Coopers beer on tap.
DON'T GET HAMMERED!

Oh my goodness, someone has had a brain wave and joined my two loves together!:D

Dangermouse
18th July 2007, 06:59 PM
There is a god!!! :oo::2tsup:

Sounds like the ideal place for the forum get together - see everyone there 12 noon on friday... :drunk22:

Phil Dixon
26th July 2007, 10:48 PM
Well Guys

It looks that two of you are going to the show.

Where are the rest of you ?

Phil
:?

smitthhyy
26th July 2007, 10:55 PM
My plan was Saturday

Harry72
26th July 2007, 11:28 PM
Friday for me, and BigShed too.

Big Shed
26th July 2007, 11:35 PM
Yep, might even get a forum cap:D

mcarthur
27th July 2007, 12:49 PM
The show also features a brand new addition for visitors, the Coopers Beer & Burger Barn. On offer will be beef burgers, pies, sandwiches and sweets, and of course Coopers beer on tap.
DON'T GET HAMMERED!

They need to join up and offer a coopers & burger with every N4400, then they can change it to "GET HAMMERED" :D

Tonyz
27th July 2007, 09:39 PM
Very dissapointed with size of show. large local Mitre 10, Timbecom, lots of space no carbetech what the stuff goes on do they want our patronage or are we just suppopsed to go web shopping and not window shop. Lost my respect
Whole woodshow orgaisation needs a good kick in the bum

Tonyz
27th July 2007, 09:44 PM
But good side was got a sherwood drill press with the easy riser and the wasp sander with the butterfly thing.
Tomorrow the 18" woodfast bandsaw comes my way.

Harry72
29th July 2007, 03:19 AM
Yep your right the show was a real let down this year(in exhibitor attendance), you could see every thing in minutes if not looking for a particular product. It was pretty sparse.
Was good that JET and Leda had a decent range on show... and the Kapex, get one next year hopefully!
The only forumite's I seen were Tankstand, Dangermouse, Neil and Jim Carroll.

Funny thing happen at the show, got a message on the phone while chatting with Jim... "The WWWshow is now open"... well derrrr!

munruben
29th July 2007, 10:42 AM
Very dissapointed with size of show. large local Mitre 10, Timbecom, lots of space no carbetech what the stuff
Not a very good way to promote their products is it?:(( They will have lost a lot of business I should imagine. Catalogue buying is not like seeing and touching buying is it ?:( Oh well its their loss.

Frank&Earnest
30th July 2007, 05:39 PM
Same feelings here - second time for me in about 20 years, my fuzzy recollection of the first is of something definitely bigger. In and out in 90 minutes. Still managed to buy most of the toys I was thinking of, though. Could not find Nova chucks, I might have been tempted to go for a second one. Seen Neil Almighty in the flesh. Will tell you later if his buffers stand up to the promotional hype. :D

Christopha
1st August 2007, 11:35 AM
Same feelings here - second time for me in about 20 years, my fuzzy recollection of the first is of something definitely bigger. In and out in 90 minutes. Still managed to buy most of the toys I was thinking of, though. Could not find Nova chucks, I might have been tempted to go for a second one. Seen Neil Almighty in the flesh. Will tell you later if his buffers stand up to the promotional hype. :D

THEY WILL!!!

ubeaut
4th August 2007, 12:07 PM
Nove Chucks would have been on MIK stan or Jim Carroll's

Show was poorly attended by Exhibitors and even more porely attended by the general public.

There will be one less next year as U-Beaut won't be attending again.

Heard a roumor they might put it on with the Home Show next year. Obviously they took no notice of the last time it was on with the Home Show.
NO ONE CAME TO EITHER SHOW! :~ I have no idea why they'd want to revisit such a disaster as that again. Me thinks they would do better going to by-yearly but doubt even that will help Adelaide very much.

Cheers - Neil :C
:aro-d:

PS We aren't stopping Adelaide because it's a lousy show and average a loss of around $5,000 per show. If that was the case we would have stopped some 10 years ago.

We are pulling the pin on all the shows we do, with the exception of Melb. Why? Because the shows cost us 12-14 weeks a year in lost production time and and can no longer afford to lose any production time at all.

woodbe
4th August 2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear... Thanks for coming while you could :)

It's a sad state of affairs, and not unusual. In a previous life, our business used to support a major aussie professional body's annual conference by attending the trade show. We gave up after about 20 years, not only because of the outrageous fee escalations, but mostly because of the huge opportunity cost of time, wages, accommodation, travel and freight.

The show organisers do very well out of the shows I think, but they eventually kill the goose.

In the US, it seems to be a different story, and some industries have a well supported show on somewhere just about every week! Market size is the driver...

woodbe

Tankstand
4th August 2007, 03:43 PM
We will miss your presence Neil, especially Pauline and stoppers.

A by-yearly show would be a killer! I'd have to visit the Melbourne show for a fix!

Solutions Aust
6th August 2007, 04:32 PM
Nove Chucks would have been on MIK stan or Jim Carroll's

Show was poorly attended by Exhibitors and even more porely attended by the general public.

There will be one less next year as U-Beaut won't be attending again.

Heard a roumor they might put it on with the Home Show next year. Obviously they took no notice of the last time it was on with the Home Show.
NO ONE CAME TO EITHER SHOW! :~ I have no idea why they'd want to revisit such a disaster as that again. Me thinks they would do better going to by-yearly but doubt even that will help Adelaide very much.

Cheers - Neil :C
:aro-d:

PS We aren't stopping Adelaide because it's a lousy show and average a loss of around $5,000 per show. If that was the case we would have stopped some 10 years ago.

We are pulling the pin on all the shows we do, with the exception of Melb. Why? Because the shows cost us 12-14 weeks a year in lost production time and and can no longer afford to lose any production time at all.
Hi Neil,
I would agree this show and others with the exception of Melbourne should go bi-annual.

However saying that, we had all time record sales on WOODFAST Bandsaws and Woodlathes from very poor crowd numbers.

Cheers
Woodfast Aust
www.woodfast (http://www.woodfast) .com.au:U

Harry72
8th August 2007, 09:57 PM
Thats a pity Neil, but you do have a business to run and doing things that loose you money and time are not good.
I dont think I'll go next year unless they pick their game up somewhat.
I reckon what they should do with the Adelaide show is shift it closer to me and host it at the Yorke Peninsula Field Days at Paskeville(bout 1hr'ish from Adelaide), its a big show one of the biggest in Aust... they even have a landing strip for planes!
It would take you about an hour and a half without stopping just to walk down every aisle.

The amount of people through the gates would beat the entire Adel WWWshow within a hour, and plenty of things to keep SWMBO's happy!

Tankstand
9th August 2007, 09:04 AM
I reckon what they should do with the Adelaide show is shift it closer to me and host it at the Yorke Peninsula Field Days at Paskeville
I like the idea Harry, but why is on mid week?

http://www.ypfielddays.com.au/index.html

Jim Carroll
9th August 2007, 09:18 AM
You just cant win can you.
We find with the smaller crowds that there is more chances for the public to look around and see what is available without getting hurried along by the crowd or they get sick of waiting to get served that they move on.
Adelaide although a smaller show we were able to chat to people and explain things better. In saying that the organisers should consult the AFL and not be open on a day when both local sides are playing.

Melbourne is by far the biggest crowd and this is where we get the most complaints from customers after the show is that they did not see us or could not find stuff.This is especcially true on the friday where most of my answers are yes, no or maybe and move on, if you need an explaination come back saturday or sunday when it is a bit quieter.

We prefer to give everyone as much advise as possible and not hurry through an explaination and miss things.

With Adelaide it may have had less exhibitors but they were quality exhibitors.

Tonyz
9th August 2007, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE]

There is a pastime out in the country called sport. Footy, netball, cricket, drinking, basketball, hockey, bowls etc etc

Well thats one excuse

Groggy
9th August 2007, 08:01 PM
How does this quote thing work?

click the quote button and look at this post without deleting anything. Look at the text within the square brackets to see what starts and ends each quote.

Edit: thanks for the correction Tankstand!

There is a pastime out in the country called sport. Footy, netball, cricket, drinking, basketball, hockey, bowls etc etc

Well thats one excuse

Tonyz
9th August 2007, 11:43 PM
Another problem solvered thanks Groggy

Harry72
10th August 2007, 02:02 AM
You just cant win can you.
We find with the smaller crowds that there is more chances for the public to look around and see what is available without getting hurried along by the crowd or they get sick of waiting to get served that they move on.
Adelaide although a smaller show we were able to chat to people and explain things better. In saying that the organisers should consult the AFL and not be open on a day when both local sides are playing.

Melbourne is by far the biggest crowd and this is where we get the most complaints from customers after the show is that they did not see us or could not find stuff.This is especcially true on the friday where most of my answers are yes, no or maybe and move on, if you need an explaination come back saturday or sunday when it is a bit quieter.

We prefer to give everyone as much advise as possible and not hurry through an explaination and miss things.

With Adelaide it may have had less exhibitors but they were quality exhibitors.

Yeah I'd have to agree there... it was good chatting and learning some basic's from you, you were right about the Woodcut chisel's they work very well. Got the hang of the trugrind to now, its so simple to use:D
I'll be ordering those P&N's soon too:U