PDA

View Full Version : Carved Redbox root ball bowl

Alpine
1st September 2003, 08:54 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/198894/redbox-bowl.jpg
This is one of my carved bowls with the outside left natural to contrast with the oil finished centre. It is finished with Organ Oil if I remember correctly. Currently on display and for sale at Doma Mungi Gallery in Chiltern, Victoria.

oges
2nd September 2003, 09:54 AM
very nicely done
do you use on of those power carvers to do those?

Alpine
2nd September 2003, 06:02 PM
Yeah I have a disk with 3 circular saw style teeth for my angle grinder. I am not sure of the brand name but it has been great and hasnt even needed sharpening in the 18months or so that I have had it. I regularly use it on hard timbers like red box and ironbark and it hasnt played up yet.

ozwinner
2nd September 2003, 06:10 PM
Good work Alpine.
Cheers, Allan

Sir Stinkalot
2nd September 2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Alpine
Yeah I have a disk with 3 circular saw style teeth for my angle grinder. I am not sure of the brand name but it has been great and hasnt even needed sharpening in the 18months or so that I have had it. I regularly use it on hard timbers like red box and ironbark and it hasnt played up yet.

Would it be the Arbortech?

Arbortech (http://www.arbortech.com.au/productinfo/prodinfo.html)

MajorPanic
2nd September 2003, 07:40 PM
:)
Love the colour of the polished timber!!

Alpine
4th September 2003, 12:01 AM
As far as I know the Arbortec has chainsaw style teeth??? A mate of mine who works on irrigation pipes said that they have a similar disk and they call it the "tomohawk". Not sure if its the brand or just slang.
Majorpanic it looks even better in person, its hard to believe that the color and grain is so nice when you look at the dull grey/brown and rough raw timber. Thats what I like about leaving the outside natural, you get such a contrast.

janineandmark
8th September 2003, 04:51 PM
we have been using the arbortech for many years.We were lucky to have a go with the first model that was made many years ago.We changed over to the professional one -the one with the three teeth which are tungsten sp? and have found the whole set up to be very versitile in use and can be sharpened with a diamond file. The arbortech can be fun to use but be very careful as they can do a lot of damage if they come in contact with any part of your body. Use leather gloves and a ful face visor with a lip on the bottom which will stop chip from bouncing of your chest and cutting your face.

Alpine
10th September 2003, 09:18 PM
Sounds like the one I use. I certainly dont skimp on the safety gear when using this weapon. I use firefighting goggles, dust mask, earmuffs attached to hardhat, thick leather gloves work boots and firefighting overalls over the top. You need all this stuff because when the chips hit, they hurt!!