PDA

View Full Version : Single Handed Sandwich Maker Board & cutlery

crocky
19th July 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi All,

This is not an all singing and dancing thing, just practical.

This device is a sandwich maker for a single handed person, it is not flash but it does the job and does not cost an arm and leg and most of you fellows would have some spare timber lying around :)

Size - 330mmm long by 20mm wide and is made out of ply that is 19mm thick.

Sandwich holder nails - I measure these from the upper left corner - 55mm in and 45mm down, 80mm in and 45mm down, 30mm in and 90mm down, 80mm in and 90mm down, 120mm in and 90mm down and the last one is 80mm in and 140mm down. The (nails) used here are actually stainless steel pop rivets with the heads cut off.

Bread Spreader Cleats<sp> from the upper left corner again - 215mm in and 5mm down and is 20mm wide and 8mm thick, 310mm in and 30mm down and is 20mm wide and 8mm thick.

Place four stoppers underneath to prevent the thing sliding around all over the place :)

Bob (one handed person and the thing works for me) :2tsup:

watson
19th July 2007, 05:10 PM
Good one Bob :2tsup:

crocky
19th July 2007, 05:29 PM
Good one Bob :2tsup:

Thanks Noel,

It is not much, but it works pretty good for me :)

echnidna
19th July 2007, 07:49 PM
Good thing crocky. :2tsup:

Seen something similar years ago with a few pins in the base.
It was to hold a lump of meat or a roast so it could be cut.

I wonder if we should catalog or index these types of aids to assist people searching for ways to make life better.

crocky
20th July 2007, 08:34 AM
Good thing crocky. :2tsup:

I wonder if we should catalog or index these types of aids to assist people searching for ways to make life better.

Hi Echnidna,

Could be a good thing if we get other people involved or just leave them here as long as the header has applicable information. I probably could have titled it a bit better :)

Anyway, a start has been made :)

echnidna
20th July 2007, 10:20 AM
How could we index them them?

Andy Mac
20th July 2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Crocky,
How very strange, I have been working on exactly the same thing over the last couple of days (I mean lunchtimes at work):) :oo:. My eldest daughter has a disability and wanted some way of holding bread and toast while spreading them with her good hand. I made a nice bread board from hoop pine with corners like you have, except let into the sides, but haven't got the request for the spikey part...yet. Maybe I will when I show her this thread!
I have been asked to add some form of vertical handle so she can hang onto the board as well (as her left hand has the ability to grasp things but not manipulate all that finely) and has no desire to just let the board be, resting on rubber feet!? Her call I guess...
When I get it finished I'll post a pic of my version.
BTW I have made the odd thing, like a wooden block around a normal pencil sharpener so she can hang onto it.

Good on ya!:)

scooter
20th July 2007, 12:10 PM
Good idea crocky. :2tsup:

Got me thinking, what about using a tray bit in a router & a template to hollow out the top of a thickish board for the "spreader" part of your board shown above.

Fiddlier to make but the radiused corners & one piece construction would be easier to keep clean.

Cheers....................Sean

niall .p
20th July 2007, 01:18 PM
Hi All,

This is not an all singing and dancing thing, just practical.

This device is a sandwich maker for a single handed person, it is not flash but it does the job and does not cost an arm and leg and most of you fellows would have some spare timber lying around :)

Size - 330mmm long by 20mm wide and is made out of ply that is 19mm thick.

Sandwich holder nails - I measure these from the upper left corner - 55mm in and 45mm down, 80mm in and 45mm down, 30mm in and 90mm down, 80mm in and 90mm down, 120mm in and 90mm down and the last one is 80mm in and 140mm down. The (nails) used here are actually stainless steel pop rivets with the heads cut off.

Bread Spreader Cleats<sp> from the upper left corner again - 215mm in and 5mm down and is 20mm wide and 8mm thick, 310mm in and 30mm down and is 20mm wide and 8mm thick.

Place four stoppers underneath to prevent the thing sliding around all over the place :)

Bob (one handed person and the thing works for me) :2tsup:
Why not route one of those cheap plastic chopping boards so the bread is rescide in to the board a little ?

crocky
20th July 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi,

When I get the CNC Router finished have a guess what would be a good project :)

The plastic bread board would be good too, I might keep a look out for some really thick ones :) they would be pretty good all routered up with my cnc router. Thanks for the idea :)

crocky
20th July 2007, 08:31 PM
Good idea crocky. :2tsup:

Got me thinking, what about using a tray bit in a router & a template to hollow out the top of a thickish board for the "spreader" part of your board shown above.

Fiddlier to make but the radiused corners & one piece construction would be easier to keep clean.

Cheers....................Sean

You can see mine is pretty dirty :) it's been well used.

I only put it on here to get some discussion happening and it is doing that :wink:

crocky
20th July 2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Crocky,
How very strange, I have been working on exactly the same thing over the last couple of days (I mean lunchtimes at work):) :oo:. My eldest daughter has a disability and wanted some way of holding bread and toast while spreading them with her good hand. I made a nice bread board from hoop pine with corners like you have, except let into the sides, but haven't got the request for the spikey part...yet. Maybe I will when I show her this thread!
I have been asked to add some form of vertical handle so she can hang onto the board as well (as her left hand has the ability to grasp things but not manipulate all that finely) and has no desire to just let the board be, resting on rubber feet!? Her call I guess...
When I get it finished I'll post a pic of my version.
BTW I have made the odd thing, like a wooden block around a normal pencil sharpener so she can hang onto it.

Good on ya!:)

Hi Andy,

There is room for improvements with it. How old is your daughter? I still reckon the rubber feet are worthwhile :) I'd like to see a pic when you have it finished :)

That is good re the pencil, I have left handed biro's (they are moulded to suit the left hand) and a fork that is a knife and it is a tool that lets you eat with one hand without help. I think we bought them in New Zealand from memory. I will have a look for the address if she is interested?

crocky
20th July 2007, 08:53 PM
How could we index them them?

Hi Bob,

I think just leave them here, it has got some meaningful discussion going and this area should not fill up :)

wheelinround
20th July 2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Bob,

I think just leave them here, it has got some meaningful discussion going and this area should not fill up :)

It is great to see
My wife mixes 20% light olive oil with the butter it makes it easy to spread right from the fridge and the use of a plastic spatula makes it easy also.

ozwinner
20th July 2007, 09:49 PM
Title changed, is that any better?

Let me know if not.

Al :)

crocky
21st July 2007, 10:35 AM
Hi Al,

That is fine, suggests a little bit better what is :)

AlexS
21st July 2007, 01:55 PM
Bob, my OT daughter had me make a batch of these - glad they work.

woodwork wally
4th August 2007, 09:35 PM
Hi Andy,

There is room for improvements with it. How old is your daughter? I still reckon the rubber feet are worthwhile :) I'd like to see a pic when you have it finished :)

That is good re the pencil, I have left handed biro's (they are moulded to suit the left hand) and a fork that is a knife and it is a tool that lets you eat with one hand without help. I think we bought them in New Zealand from memory. I will have a look for the address if she is interested?
Hi Folks Intresting discussions overall . that fork that is a knife either is or is a close relation to what I bought and they were called SPLAYEDS origionally an American idea to make life easier to eat a meal in front of the T.V. without your knife falling to the floor. someone with a bit of initiative could modify the handle to help another .I know the feeling as have had one hand in total immobility for 10 weeks . I at least know that I will get it back in some sort of working orer resembling normality but the back sheeezz anuzzer problem . But while we are on the right side of the grass lets share our methods of handling problems. A great forum lets use it regards Wally

scooter
5th August 2007, 02:34 PM
The spelling was actually "splade", only correcting for anyone searching.

Popular wedding pressie in the 70s I think.

Cheers..............Sean

crocky
6th August 2007, 10:56 AM
G'day,

This is the address of "The Fork" that is suited to single handed people like me :)

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~bmee/

It has a good story on how it is used too :)

mick61
17th August 2007, 11:09 AM
G`day what about some of the matting we use for routing etc stapled to the bottom of the board?
Mick:D

pugwash
17th July 2008, 01:21 AM
In my woodwork therapy sessions at Shenton Park Rehab Hospital, stroke victims with hemiplegia make their own chopping boards from pieces of parquetry flooring (Blue gum and Cherrywood) glued to an exterior ply base. They have great fun coming up with different designs from the 30 bits of timber.
They have spikes for securing vegetables etc, and perspex edges in one corner to assist in buttering bread or toast. Rubber feet stops it from moving around. The whole thing is finished with vegetable oil. We've been making these for over 15 years and I've lost count of how many but it must be around 7-8 hundred !

Wild Dingo
17th July 2008, 02:15 AM
Great discussion! :2tsup:

The thought of recessing the area for the bread is a great one a simple 1/4in recess would be sufficent Id think, I was also thinking about the rubber feet thing... what about if one were to add a peice of board to the front to go against the benchtop and use that router matting to hold it in place? oooh okay someone beat me with the router matting :doh: Anyway what this would achieve is a total lack of any movement forward and back or even sideways... an incredibly annoying thing to occur when one is preparing their sanga and things start to move!!... pushed against the benchtop... hey!! What about making a curved peice for the front? what Im thinking is something that once the board is against the benchtop said single winged soul could simply move closer and lean their hip against to hold it in place?... seems right to me :roll:

mmm okay so how about making them larger? not so much it becomes unmovable by said single winged soul but large enough to put the condiments on the board as well?... so as we see in the pic by pugwash have the area for the bread either with the perspex and the nails as shown but also have an area for the butter dish then another for the salad or jam (whatever) so if we increase the size a tad... lets say length of 18in x width of say 12in (Im guessing here its 11pm for gods sake!) have the top left corner either routed rebated or perspex for the bread, then as shown the lower right with the prongs to hold stuff... but the other two areas could be routed say the top right in an oblong shape for the veg and the lower left into circles to fit the jam, veg or whatever... thus everything needed by said single winged soul is right to hand :2tsup:

Most people when they make a sanga need the basics... so tub of butter jar of jam or vegimite... or tub of butter a tomyatta a cucumber cheese ham and say lettuce this could all realistically fit on such a sized board no? Mind you then theres the circle cutting for the cuppa to consider :;

ALSO... while Im sorta thinking... what about a pair of folding legs and handles on the sides? thus the said single winged soul would be able to... mmmm okay lets revise that a tad what about a sling affair instead of the handles? leather or webbing "belts" could be made to clip onto thingys (damned if I know what theyre called Im just givin the ideas here!!) on all four sides like a kids car seat you know? When all are cliped from side to side crossing over in the middle and forming a cradle and a handle thus the single flippered soul could carry said tray to the living room sit in their favorite arm chair turn on the soaps or movie and flip the legs down sit on their tush and prepare their sanga in peace and luxury?

Of course we could then make them the same size as shown but add a couple of flip up or out wings for the condiments and cuppa?... slide out seems best to me... okay another thought just wizzed through my mind... with that curved part I spoke of? this could be made with veneers shaped in a air vacumn press and thus hold its shape without adding any huge amount of weight to the overall thing... AND if we used clips instead of fixing it then it could be removed... mmm bonus thought!... leaving the wing on would allow a bit more secure feel to it while sitting on the chair as the rest/wing would then be against their side... okay think thats about done my thoughts for now!

Great thread!! :2tsup:

pugwash
17th July 2008, 04:26 PM
Dingo,
Some great ideas. I'm pleased you've got your thinking cap on. The rubber feet stop the board sliding very well. Router mat I've used before and, although it works, makes it hard to clean. The board is not just used for sangers but for cutting and peeling veggies, carving meat and general food preparation. Improvements in design such as making it larger and recessed bits are OK but...
In my situation in the rehab workshop, you have to bear in mind that the guy who is going to USE the chopping board with one hand also has to MAKE it with one hand !! Also quite often he has to make it with his non dominant hand, sitting in a wheelchair, and with no previous woodwork experience !!
People with disabilities would generally prefer NOT to have to use special equipment unless they really have to.
So, the simpler the better really. But keep thinking Dingo, solutions to problems often come from "outside the square".

Wild Dingo
18th July 2008, 02:19 AM
mmm okay... so they dont wanna have special equipment and such? NO WUKKERS!... make em some jigs then!! :2tsup: you could make special ones particular to their needs an call em "normal" ones eh! :;

Mate not bein picky nor nothing but heck we use jigs and such! I know when I worked with "special needs" GOD I HATE THAT DAMNED TERM!!!!... anyway Ive worked with blind deaf and physically whatever the hell pc term its called nowadays people over the years and mate what Ive found is that bar none they want to be seen and actually do for themselves... thus jigs are great!!

Okay so theyre in a wheelchair? SO BLOODY WHAT!... lower the bench to their height and bobs yer uncle make some jigs particular note being taken of their needs and theyre in business... if they can do for themselves what anyone else can do they can and will.

Okay so theyve only got one wing? SO WHAT?... one shanks pony? AGAIN SO WHAT?...

Jigs can be simple and effective for their needs... best router operator I ever knew was a one handed bloke with one wonky eye! Absolutely brilliant... made a jig so he could operate the router one handed a sorta attachment that had a strap that went around his right (non dominant) forarm attached to a peice of steel strap that had a clamp on the end that he would attach to the left hand handle of the router thus he could HOLD the router and operate it with full control... brilliant bloke and top router operator :2tsup: but as a fisherman he sucked big time :doh: :U

Im not havin a go just sayin thats all... manys the way to skin a cat mate and I tell yer what Ive seen some incredible inventions by some brilliant people over the years created just so they could do one simple job they would be unable or struggle to do if they hadnt made the jig they had.

Trouble Ive found over the years is some people without wings and such can be so damned independant they cant see a way around what they want and need to do UNLESS they find it themselves! I even had one sheila tell me that because I hadnt lost my arm I had no idea what she needed... wrong... it was obvious that she needed (aside from the labotomy of course :q ) a way of being able to ride the sulky of her trotter safely and keep control of both the horse and cart so she could keep her hand in with training it... now my brother has been in the trotting game for many years and knew the game inside out with his help we were able to make a reasonably simply jig that enabled her to do so with absolute ease... but it took us doing it without her being involved to do it cause of course we didnt have her disability so we could never know or understand... but work it did... and shes now one happy lady still overly independent but able to do what she loves

Ideas dont just come from necessity sometimes they come through thought and thought isnt resticted by anything

Still... I will keep thunking along and try to come up with something helpfull :; You do realize that I will come up with something sooner or later dont you? Well I will!!... Wheelin will attest to that I came up with a bonzer way of him gettin down the hill out front of his place in his wheelchair to move some freshly cut tree branches back up the hill... dopey buggar didnt do it though... something to do with the V8 motor attached to the back of the wheelchair scared the shyte outta the chicken :roll: some people get into wheelchairs and loose all sence of adventure they do :U

Cheers!!

Shane... still breathing AND now smiling :2tsup:

jerryc
23rd July 2008, 11:46 AM
This device ..;does the job and does not cost an arm and leg

Crocky,
I'm glad it doesn't cost that much. Sorry, mate. Just a warped sense of humour.:U To be serious it's a great idea :2tsup:.

Jerry

wheelinround
27th July 2008, 04:37 PM
Speaking of single handed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1038857/Meet-man-given-Britains-bionic-hand-NHS--learning-fly.html

jerryc
27th July 2008, 11:41 PM
Wheeling,
Thanks for the great story. I know about septicaemia. it's why I spent six months in a hospital bed and why my bionics are in the actual heart rebuild and also in the electronics that keep it going. But when you read stories like that you tell yourself "what have I got to complain about?"
Sorry guys for slightly hi-jacking the thread.

Jerry

pugwash
30th July 2008, 07:34 PM
That's a great article Wheelin',
I read a story in a readers digest once about designers of prosthetic hands using the knee joints of barby dolls as finger joints. Apparently they are very sturdy and just the right size. To begin with they used to go out and buy dolls and dismember them, but now the factory supplies them with just the legs!
It's a weird world!!