PDA

View Full Version : Staining problem

Gordy Gonyo
12th February 2001, 03:57 AM
I put some oil based stain on a hard maple table and it came out blotchy. Can I sand this down and try again? What would be the cause of this? This is the first piece I have made from hard maple. Thanks for any insight - Gordo.

Shane Watson
12th February 2001, 09:46 AM
Gordy, I see you have posted this on an american board as well. I was going to suggest this to you, as you guys seem to have a much wider range of products to help you deal with situations like this.

From what I understand, Hard Maple is much like pine ( in polishing properties ). I have never polished any though. The cause of the blotchy appearance is due to differeing rates of stain absorption into the timber pores. Some absorb more stain and will look darker.

I find the easiest way to deal with this is to seal the timber first. Then I tone the timber using whatever I intend to finish the timber with toned with the colour thats desired. But some people like this blotchy look. Here in Aust, we have a range of furniture avaiable in the bulk buy furniture stores that is purposely finished with this blotchy apperance and then sold as a colonial style furniture.

The way in which you prepare the timber before staining has a small impact on the result as well. I only sand too 150# and have little problems. But some timber, it won't matter if it is sanded to perfection, it will still unevenly absorb any stain applied.

Then theres the application method of the stain. Spraying, wiping, brushing. Would pay to experiment with a scrape piece to find out the better method.

HTH..

Cheers...

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Gordy Gonyo
12th February 2001, 10:13 AM
Thanks Shane, could you please tell me exactly what you mean by "tone", I am not sure what your speaking about. Regards - Gordo.

Shane Watson
12th February 2001, 10:56 AM
Toning is the process where stain is added to the finish eg, shellac, lacquer etc. Then applied to the timber evenly. This leaves a even colour, rather than uneven. Its kinda like painting, but the paint is see through and any colour you like, like walnut stain, cedar stain etc etc. 'Toning' because you are addding a slight colour tone.
This is also a good method to adopt when colour matching. Sometimes when the initial stain is not 100% right, a slight toning coat of red, green or yellow will be enough to change it to the right colour.
You guys may name this process by some other name, but I am unsure of what it is.

HTH..

Cheers..

------------------
Shane Watson..

Shane Watson
12th February 2001, 10:58 AM
Oh, and to add to that. Toning is best done using a spray gun. This helps with an even coverage.

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Gordy Gonyo
12th February 2001, 09:05 PM
Thanks Shane, I think I get your drift, and "our guys" do call it toning. We don't have one of your crazy snake and alligator guys though. Cheers = Gordo.

Shane Watson
12th February 2001, 09:23 PM
hahah, you can have our snake and croc man if ya want! Steve Irwin is a bit ecentric. I mean come on we dont talk like that when we're wrestlings crocs and snakes. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif Actually just the other day I had to put my fists up to a Taipan! ( tis the worlds most venoumous snakes ) But he backed off after I showed him my size 12 steel cap boots! Tis a true story for those disbelievers!

Survivor 2?? Mate what I have seen so far, they were living in 5star bush! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif Actually my brother owns property next to where it was filmed..JFYI

http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers!!

Gordy Gonyo
12th February 2001, 09:29 PM
I don't know what 5star bush is, but I do know that the whole thing is a bunch of staged BS, and I am not refering to bandsaw. Good day to you - Gordo.

Shane Watson
12th February 2001, 11:03 PM
Hahah To right... but its good fun to watch.

5 star bush. Another words it is tame compared to the more harsher bush. Like comparing a 5 star hotel room with a 2 or 3 star hotel room... Even the crocs up there are no threat as they are freshies ( Fresh Water crocs ) Although they will defend themselfs if stood on etc, but not likely to attack a human as a food source...

Anyway, enough of the BS.. And not Bandsaws http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif Have you tried any of the techniques that have been posted for your question? and if so, it would be interesting to hear your reports.

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Gordy Gonyo
14th February 2001, 01:46 PM
Shane I think I will try some dye, since I have been meaning to try it anyway. I will let you know what happens. Any tips on the dyes, I think it will be water based. Cheers - Gordo.

Shane Watson
14th February 2001, 01:58 PM
Nah mate, no experience with water based dyes. Got some on order to try out for meself.
Let us know how you get on!

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Gordy Gonyo
14th February 2001, 03:22 PM
I will do that Shane, stay well and have fun - Gordo.

Gordy Gonyo
28th February 2001, 12:59 PM
Shane, I ended up just resanding the table down real good, and someone said maple looks good with tung oil finish. I did that and the color is a little light yet, but it really has a nice satin look to it. Could I use some dark wax on it to make it a shade darker? Thanks - Gordo.