PDA

View Full Version : Raising / levelling lathe bed

djb955
2nd September 2003, 03:29 PM
Hi folks,

My wife is getting into woodturning and we are building a bench now and she has a Nova3000 on order. Her tutor has a lathe which is set up on blocks (approx 2-3"). under the mounts. I have not been able to find any information on the web on this type of mounting system.

I have seen the recommendations about spinidle height, etc so I know the height above the floor the spindle should be, but I was wondering about the mounting blocks and levelling and so on. My wife sees the blocks as a good thing because it will give her space under the bed for laying chisels and tools, etc while she is turning.

Now calling on the collective wisdom on this forum for advice / opinions.

David Bruce :confused: :confused:

DavidW
2nd September 2003, 09:26 PM
Dont know about wisdom but I just built this one last week and am very pleased with it. The lathe isnt on blocks but it has a tool holder for your chisels. Can be had on the Plans now site

antman
3rd September 2003, 10:45 AM
Hi David,

I am setting up my newly purchased lathe as well and am interested in where you found recommendations for spindle height.

Is there a 'rule of thumb' for heights? The book I have, of which I can't remember the name :( , seems very vague on this topic.

Anthony

Red neck
3rd September 2003, 11:14 AM
Rule of thumb (???) for spindle height is 'elbow height'.

Sandy Johnston
4th September 2003, 01:10 PM
teknatool site has info on height and a basic lathe bed to construct in wood.

go here and select "stand"
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/3000/nova.htm

Regards
Sandy across the ditch

Sandy Johnston
4th September 2003, 01:13 PM
p.s. also "article " to give brief idea of height.

Sandy

DavidW
4th September 2003, 11:08 PM
As redneck said, spindel height = elbow height is the measurement I used and it feels like a comfortable height for me. It was the height recommended in the bench plan.