PDA

View Full Version : Router Raizer

chris_hewett
2nd September 2003, 04:44 PM
Was searching for info on the router Raizer, and noticed that it will fit the Triton router. Not sure if this is old news or not but thought it might be of interest...

BTW, anybody used one of these?

http://www.routerraizer.com/

Sturdee
2nd September 2003, 04:59 PM
I haven't used them but instead made my own to fit a Triton Router table - total cost for parts $ 10. - winds the router up or down from below the table.

derekcohen
2nd September 2003, 08:28 PM
Sturdee

Post a pic of it for us to see.

Regards

Derek

alf t
2nd September 2003, 10:38 PM
Like Sturdee
I made my own from a Holden scissors type jack fitted under the table. Where the hook in the handle was,I fitted a plastic wheel with a rubber tyre to raise or lower the router. I use it with my Incra and it is as good as a bought one. Cost about as much as Sturdee's did.

Alf

derekcohen
2nd September 2003, 11:27 PM
Alf

Give us a look!

Regards

Derek

alf t
3rd September 2003, 10:15 PM
Just got the digital pictures emailed back so when I get the knowledge of how to send them off I will forward them on.

Alf

Sturdee
4th September 2003, 12:30 AM
Derek,

I'll be taking some photos tomorrow and when developed I'll post them for you.
It will also show the brackets I made to fit the Triton sliding extension table to my router table.

Regards

Peter

alf t
4th September 2003, 02:21 PM
This is my H/M raizer

Alf.

silentC
4th September 2003, 02:34 PM
That is a FANTASTIC idea. I love this forum!

derekcohen
4th September 2003, 03:11 PM
Alf

Great job.

How do you change bits? Do you remove the router from the top? Is the router just resting on the jack, or it it connected?

The wheel should would well for tiny increments. What about moving it by large amounts? Did you consider using a L-handle?

Impressed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

alf t
4th September 2003, 09:43 PM
Derek,
Changing bits is a bit of a down side , I just wind the jack down to its base and do it under the table. I only have a small hole 3/4in at the top. (the size recommended by Incra) otherwise I could raise it enough to fit bits fron the top. I also removed the handles from the router to give me more height.
It is quite adequate for what I make. If I get a bigger shed I would like to make bigger things so I will probably make an insert that removes easily from the top of the table.

2.I modified the top of the jack so it fitted the router snugly.

Alf

PS. sorry about the size of the picture. As the man said " I've cut this wood twice and i'ts still too bloody short!!"

barnsey
5th September 2003, 11:23 AM
Come on Sturdee

Got those foto's yet?

I've got the Triton in a Triton Table so I'd like to see how you do it. It's breaking my back getting underneath to adjust every time:rolleyes:

Mind I guess your device only operates the fine adjust as the raizer does. Having seen the blurb on it though - Gregories want $188 for it!! - think a bone cracker is cheaper!!!!!

Sturdee
5th September 2003, 06:04 PM
Barnsey,

I took the photos yesterday and sent them out for developing. Will have them back on Monday and then I'll have to con my daughter to scan them from her scanner into my computer.

I don't have a digital camera ( I prefer to spend spare cash on tools rather than new cameras ) so please be patient.

BTW it not only does fine adjustment but I also use it to completely lower the router bits below the table.

Regards,

Peter

Sturdee
8th September 2003, 08:39 PM
Barnsey

As promised here are the photos. This one shows the height winder and brackets to connect a sliding table. The view is across the extension tables of my workcentre.

Regards,

Peter

Sturdee
8th September 2003, 08:44 PM
This is a close up.

Basically it is a cradle fixed to a threaded rod in which the router fits with a handle at the bottom.
It is secured to the table with the crosspiece into which a nut is affixed. The cross piece is connected lenghtways so that it does not interfere with the folding legs of the table.

Peter.

Sturdee
8th September 2003, 08:49 PM
This is a close up of the modification necessary to connect the mini sliding extension table to an older router stand.

I had to replace two bolts with longer ones and for the third bolt I countersunk a hole on the inside of the timber. The modification does not interfere with the folding legs.

Peter.

Sturdee
8th September 2003, 08:58 PM
Another view of the routerstand with extension table attached .

Hope these illustrate satisfactory my cheap version of the Routerraiser.

Regards,

Peter

barnsey
9th September 2003, 10:16 AM
Wow Pete that is a very good looking device.

And that workshop!!!!

Us mere mortals can only drool - Hope I don't get asked for a photo - won't happen - too messy!!

Forgive me if I sound like the village idiot but how do you get this device to do the rise and fall in place of the handle mechanism on the Triton ie how do you disengage the Tritons mechanism so that your "cradle" is in control?:confused:

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 04:56 PM
Barnsey,

I have a Makita plunge router but I would imagine it be the same for the Triton or other plunge routers.

You disengage the locking mechanism so that the router slides up and down. With the Triton don't remove the spring that gives the tension.

This way when I wind the handle up the cradle pushes the router up and tensions the spring and when you wind the handle down the spring in the router will push the router down.

I suppose that at one stage the spring will lose its tension if not unwound at the end of your session but I have not worried about doing that for the last 2 years and the spring is still okay.

As to the workshop - I took some more pictures and will post them - and then you can drool.

Regards

Peter

Arthur
20th September 2004, 10:45 AM
hey that looks like a great idea, they say "necessity is the mother of invention" good work: what did you use for the "nut" for the threaded both to go through?

Arthur

Sturdee
20th September 2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks Arthur,

Since I installed a Triton Router I don't use it anymore but as I still have it I took some more photos.

Basically it is a cradle in which the router fits which is fixed to a threaded rod with a handle at the bottom. It is secured to the table stand with a crosspiece of timber into which a nut is affixed. The crosspiece is connected lengthways so that it does not interfere with the folding legs of the table.

In use you disengage the locking mechanism so that the router slides up and down but do not remove the tensioning spring. This way when you wind the handle up the cradle pushes the router up and tensions the spring and when you wind the handle down the spring in the router will push the router down.

When you have the router at the right height reengage your router locking mechanism to avoid accidental movements.

Photo 1 is a general view of the jig.

Photo 2 is the bottom view of the winding handle.

Photo 3 is the other side of the winder.

Photo 4 shows the nut welded to an oversize washer which is screwed onto the crosspiece.

The following post will sshow the cradle details.

Peter.

Sturdee
20th September 2004, 08:09 PM
Here are trhe cradle details.

Photo 1 shows the top view.

Photo 2 shows the side view.

Photo 3 is a diagram showing the various layers.

Dimensions and details of the cradle and height of the crosspiece depends on the router you use.

I trust this is enough for you to build one. You might also find it usefull to search this board for my post on other improvements to the router table.

Peter.