PDA

View Full Version : Books on trees, woods and uses

LisMaria
2nd September 2003, 05:56 PM
Hi, being very new to woodturning and living in the centre of Australia I am very keen to learn more about the trees and what woods are best suited for woodturning. Is anyone able to suggest any books that have detailed photos of Australian trees and wood grain.

I realise that this sounds a bit girly :confused: but how else are we going to learn if people don't guide ;)

LisMaria

Sir Stinkalot
2nd September 2003, 06:20 PM
How about .....
The Australian Timber Buyer's Guide
Skills Publishing (http://www.skillspublish.com.au/)
Follow the link on the home page. :)

ozwinner
2nd September 2003, 06:20 PM
Hi LisMaria
I dont turn, I mainly make cabinets etc.
But I should imagine its the same with turning, if its hard it will take a good finish.
There are some amazing timbers in Oz, most of which take a good polish.
Living in Alice you should be able to come up with some realy nice stuff, seeing as how the outback stuff grows so slowly, hence hard.
Not an expert, just my opinion.
Cheers, Allan:)

JohnM
2nd September 2003, 07:46 PM
Hi LisMaria
Don't be afraid to try any interesting piece of wood you find. Sometimes spectacular grain can be found in the most unexpected piece of wood. I often raid the firewood heap, but guess you haven't got one of those up there. I would suggest you try the local timbers, good experience and you will find which trees are worth persevering with. Welcome to the world of woodturning.

Good luck.

cbenpora
2nd September 2003, 07:54 PM
A really good book if you can get hold of it is ::
Wood in Australia.
Types Properties and uses.
It is by Keith R. Bootle
Last reprinted in 2001
ISBN No 0 07 451047 9
Cheers and lots of luck and have fun.
Colin

LisMaria
2nd September 2003, 09:30 PM
Hey what a great response, Thank You
Sir Stinkalot, Thank you for the link to Skills Publishing, I am interested in getting a book or two from there :)
OzWinner, Thank you for your advise, we do grow some great trees up here and I have been experimenting :)
John M, Thank you for your advise too, I actually have been in the wood heap taking a peek and thank you for the welcome :)
cbenpora (Colin), Thank you for the book title, I had seen that one in Skills Publishing earlier and will be purchasing it :)

Really nice to ask a question and get an early reply Thank you again :D

LisMaria

John Saxton
2nd September 2003, 11:07 PM
Lisa Maria, HI, I have used this book as a reference for a number of years now and can thoroughly endorse the content.

Anything,at all about OZ timber and the properties are fully explained...and the inherent applications relevant to the task.

Good luck with your woodturning and the desert timbers that offer up new challenges in your region,

Cheers:)

pwaite
3rd September 2003, 12:29 PM
For second hand/out of print books you may want to consider looking at www.abebooks.com
It's a superb website that links up oodles of second hand booksellers world wide. You can search and order online. I've used it a number of times to buy books I didn't think I'd be able to get (published in the 30's, 40's and 50's)
Cheers,
Paul:D