PDA

View Full Version : Stopping water damage around doors.

bionicbeatboy
20th July 2007, 07:59 PM
Hi again,

Is there anything else I should be doing to prevent water damage on a cypress floor at a front door? I have already assumed that you should stop any sort of raging torrent from flowing inside.

Also, the front door floorboard butts up to a concrete threshold about an inch or so inside the house, but I've never noticed the carpet wet there and the board is rotten right through.

The front sliding door sits entirely on a board and it is totally gone.

So back to the original question....is there anything extra i should be doing?

cheers ;)

rat52
20th July 2007, 08:46 PM
pictures please

joe greiner
21st July 2007, 12:09 AM
For the swinging front door, I'd suggest adding a door bottom weatherstrip (terminology may vary); something like this:

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=25542

Also, a storm door may provide additional protection.

For the sliding door, consider drilling some drain holes on the outside flange of the track. This would allow rainwater to exit outside before it can spill over the inside flange.

Joe

bionicbeatboy
21st July 2007, 12:20 AM
There already is a weather guard... :( maybe i just need a better one!
i was thinking i could fully seal that whole board so if anything gets in it still can penetrate the side of the board???

and the drill holes are a really good idea...i think the water is seeping in the joins in the corners..i dont really see it overflowing..but i have noticed it damp down there now and then.

what does anyone thing of sealing every side of the edge floorboard??

will that still rot over time?

journeyman Mick
21st July 2007, 03:39 PM
You could ry fitting a canopy over the door to prfevent most of the water hitting it to start with.

Mick