PDA

View Full Version : Help......Removed tiles, cant get the adhesive up

chrisv
21st July 2007, 06:36 PM
I have removed about 60sq meters of tiles, but cant remove the bondcrete/tile adhesive?

Anybody got any ideas on the best and quickest way to do this.........I have hired like a kanga with 4inch chisel and this does nothing but give me greif and is slow!!! I have found the best way with a 2inch chisel, at this rate It will take me a month......anyhbody please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to any ideas/responses

Thanks
Chris

Larry McCully
21st July 2007, 07:11 PM
Chris, What is under the glue timber or concrete.
Is the glue a latex type or is it a cement type of adhesive.

bitingmidge
21st July 2007, 07:51 PM
You need a blade! A flat shovel is as good as anything, but you might get one to fit the Kanga...... That's one job I get satisfaction from paying people to do, and watching 'em do it! :p

Cheers,

P
:D

chrisv
22nd July 2007, 12:31 AM
It is a cement type adhesive.............and a pain in the backside to get up. I have found the best way to remove is with a chisel by hand....not much fun:C

We are planning on installing a timer floating floor with combilay.....so i can only assume we need to have the floor surface quite level and smooth.

chrisv
22nd July 2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks P

I think i will be getting out the angle grinder and sharpening up the kanga blade ...then also try and sharpen up the shovel...if all else fails........sharpen up my 6ft breaka bar........:~ ......then if nothing works...you cant pay ppl enough money to do this !!!

munruben
22nd July 2007, 10:57 AM
I lifted about 50 square meters a few months ago on a patio and had a guy come in with a little machine that looked a bit like a compacter but it did the job and gave a great surface to tile over. I would ask your local tool hire place i they have something like that you could hire. You would only need it for a few hours.

Larry McCully
22nd July 2007, 10:59 AM
Chris, go down to the hire company and hire for yourself a concrete grinder(SINGLE HEAD). They are a machine that is about the size of a mower but it has 3 abrashive stones attached to a plate that spins around. These are great for clearing the adhesive and at the same time it will level out bumps and things. They work well and takes the hard work out of removing the adhesive. It will cost you under $100 , but it is worth it .http://www.kennards.com.au/ ( concrete). It will enable your floater to fit better .

chrisv
23rd July 2007, 11:25 PM
Larry

I went to the Kennards.com.au website aqnd looked up the right tool for the right job...........as you suggested. And the help i received from them was fantastic, it was a little more expensive than i thought for 24hrs ($250.00) but included vac for dust etc. and was worth every cent, the noise was minimal as I have continued through the night until 9:30pm and now cleaning up.

Larry if you are ever up on the Gold Coast I will buy you a couple of beers, the time I have saved using the right tool for the right job...........just proves once again what a wonderful forum this is!!!!! I hired the Concrete Grinder - Single Head (http://www.kennards.com.au/page.asp?37=2292&E_Page=2294) ( http://www.kennards.com.au/page.asp?55=73345&E_Page=2345%20&Category=Grinders%20and%20Planers&breadSearch=Grinders%20and%20Planers ) and it is fantastic, can be a little bit messy with dust..........but who cares, it is ripping up the bondcrete.

Cheers to all who responded and talk soon. I will post some pics of my new kitchen and my attempt of laying the timber floorboards myself too!:U :2tsup: :B

rod1949
24th July 2007, 10:47 AM
If its a concrete slab then hire a piece of equipement called a Needle Scabler it is operated by compressed air.

jags
24th July 2007, 11:32 AM
Hi chris

I'm not meaning to hi jack this thread but i was hiring a kanga hammer from Kennards last weekend and the price was $15 more than the Hire Guys 5 kms further down the road . So i told the guy and he matched the price ..
Just thought i would mention this as i doubt people think of bartering for hire equipment ..or maybe they do ?

Rob :U