PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Rick_Tatum
22nd July 2007, 02:04 AM
Hello folks, I thought I'd introduce myself to the forum. I am a transplanted American Native (Ute Nation) who has lived in N. California for many years, and has a love of the sea and boats of all types. Strange for someone of desert origin, isn't it? My only experience with wood boat construction are a pair of SOF kayaks that I built about 3 1/2 years ago. However, I recently purchased plans for Michael Storer's Goat Island Skiff and will be starting construction probably in September. My other passion, and a partial source of my livelihood is traditional/primitive archery tackle. Anyhow, I look forward to conversing and learning from all you good fellows (and ladies, if any are about this forum).

Boatmik
22nd July 2007, 02:34 AM
Howdy Rick and welcome,

Is there a webpage on your archery stuff? I guess it sort of uses the same basic materials as boats - a bit of wood and a bit of string.

But bows and boats are both much more sophisticated than the ingredients might suggest!

There's been quite a GIS discussion here
http://instantboats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1659&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=ed3eadd09d2433b528daaaa3016406b3
Which goes into timbers that might be used in North America and lots of other GIS discussion.

Best wishes
Michael

Rick_Tatum
22nd July 2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks Mik for the welcome as well as the link. I am building the GIS in my mind as I review the plans. They are very straightforward, comprehensive and well thought out. Your design is elegant in its simplicity as well as in style too....she should be a delightful craft! I wish I could start building today, but due to prior travel commitments she will have to wait a few weeks.

I have a website under construction for my archery tackle, but as of yet there is nothing on it. Computer stuff isn't my forte' and I suppose I'll have to enlist some help to get it done. You are right that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to the (seemingly) simple bent stick. It will teach more than you ever wanted to know about the properties and capabilities of a given timber, and demand that you extract the very best from them if you want a fine bow as the end result. Much is the same with fine wooden boats I am sure.

Boatmik
22nd July 2007, 12:54 PM
Two of my favourite books are by the Naval Architect J. E. Gordon. He was one of the people working at the Farnborough aircraft research establishment during WW2.

He is written two of the best primers on the engineering side of design and they are so skilfully written that you can read them like a magazine and chuckle on the bus on your way to work.

He uses examples that we all like to think about - lots of boat examples - lots of historic examples - why Roman Chariots had to have their axles propped up when parked. Why the English longbow archers were useless during the Crusades and why the Saracen bow was better for fighting on the continent. How Stevenson's steam engine was successful not because of the engine but because of the RAILS (Treviwick's (spelling?) was earlier and more advanced). How to prevent rats and rot in wooden aircraft. How to build a runway on an iceberg using paper. Why the wings broke off many early aircraft at speed.

How and why glues work and the advantages and disadvantage of the different historical developments.

How all normal materials have the same stiffness to weight ratio.

How honeycomb cores were developed by a circus proprieter.

So interesting and well written you never realise that you are picking up a good theoretical base at the same time.

The two books are cheap and printed by Penguin under the Pelican moniker.
"The new science of strong materials - or why you don't fall through the floor"
"Structures - why things don't fall down"

Do yourself a favour!!!

MIK