PDA

View Full Version : straight off the lathe

benji79
22nd July 2007, 04:45 PM
These are the bowls I made this week.
The first one is a platter made out of ???. Had a play with my new Munroe tool and undercut the edges.
The second one is river red gum burl and I done a shape I haven't done before. Finished in danish oil.
The last one is BIG, the biggest Ive done. It was so full of holes and rot, my hand were shaking the whole time, expecting it to break in half and fly off. Finished in Danish oil.

Benji.

Cliff Rogers
22nd July 2007, 04:49 PM
Looking good Benji. :2tsup:

What are the dimensions?

benji79
22nd July 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks Cliff.

The big bowl is 130mm high and 330mm wide. About as big as I can go on the little MC900.:D

Benji

rsser
22nd July 2007, 04:57 PM
Nice work Benji.

How'd you find the Munro? Any wrinkles?

FWIW I've found burls hold together pretty well [added: despite voids, cracks and sap pockets]. And if you want some insurance, run some wraps of good old duct tape around the outside while you're hollowing.

benji79
22nd July 2007, 07:39 PM
hey Ern, the Munro is unreal, the burl was very dry and hard, so I just set the gap at the cutting tip bigger and it just rips in to any wood. Once hollowed, just make the gap smaller and it gives a great finish. Takes some getting use to but well worth the money in my opinion. Going to try a hollow vessel when I get the right piece of wood.

Waiting on some wood I ordered from Tas. See thread:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=51202
Been five weeks since I ordered it, not real happy, have been stuffed around a bit, but thats another story. Just hope the wood is good if it ever gets here...

Benji

Hardenfast
22nd July 2007, 08:58 PM
Hi Benji - excellent work! The big piece is around the same dimensions as a segmented bowl I just finished.

I was most interested in your comments re the Munro tool. I have just received a Munro Mini articulated hollower. Is this what you have? I ordered it at the Sydney Wood Show from Trend Timbers after watching Rolly work with it (and the larger version) for half an hour.

Trend were out of stock and had to wait for another shipment from NZ, and it only arrived on Friday - along with the scraper attachment. I haven't ben able to give it a trial as yet, but am very pleased to see you give it the seal of approval

Good tip about the duct tape, Ern. I haven't tackled a burl yet - they always look unstable and somewhat daunting - to me anyway. Do you have any Munro equipment, by the way?

Wayne

benji79
22nd July 2007, 09:06 PM
Trend were out of stock and had to wait for another shipment from NZ, and it only arrived on Friday

That may be because I got the last one at the show:B :U

Benji

rsser
22nd July 2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Wayne, yep, got the baby and the big brother ;-}

Benji ... bummer about the delay. Might be time for a public request for advice about ETA.

joe greiner
23rd July 2007, 12:09 AM
Nice work on all of them, Benji. Spectacular timber. That last one must have red-lined the pucker meter.

Joe

robyn2839
23rd July 2007, 12:19 AM
that burl must have taken nerves of steel to turn. looks great.bob

OGYT
25th July 2007, 12:03 PM
Good lookin' stuff. Pucker factor of X10, huh? Never tried one that didn't make the factor go way up. Ern's right 'bout the duct tape. Works a treat. Well done, Benji.