PDA

View Full Version : When does a Car sound like a Boat....?

Purpleheart
22nd July 2007, 08:26 PM
When does a Car sound like a Boat....?

When you start it for the first time after the Newcastle Storms and Floods......!!!!:(

Just a quick vid of backing my car out of the garage the "morning after" !!

On the left of the garage door is a speaker which is sitting up on two rows of bricks. You can see a "high tide mark" on the speaker.

Also, down the left side of the garage, you can see some pot plants sitting at funny angles, where the water pressure (which was higher on the other side of the fence) undermined the soil.

Both our cars were written off.......among other things......

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/dboydownunder/The%202007%20flood/th_100_0843.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/dboydownunder/The%202007%20flood/?action=view&current=100_0843.flv)

DJ’s Timber
22nd July 2007, 08:36 PM
:o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2007, 09:05 PM
I thought that water-injection was considered an extra feature nowadays? :wink:

Glen
30th July 2007, 10:59 PM
I agree :o :)(

Might want to check your head gasket there appears to be condensation coming out your exhausts.

A couple of years ago we had massive rains in melbourne, a bloke had just picked up his brand new VW (I think), drove it back to work parked it in the underground carpark which promptly flooded about an hour later. I don't think his insurance company were very happy.

Getting your whole garage and presumably your house flooded must be a real pain, you have my sympathy:sorry:

martrix
30th July 2007, 11:29 PM
got yourself a genuine little Herbie there! Does it shoot out oil too?:D

So is the car OK? sounds like just water inside the mufflers.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st July 2007, 01:34 AM
I know that losing the car hurts, but there are more important things in life... such as how'd your shed survive? :oo: No major casualties in the tool dept?

Seriously, I hope the cars were your largest losses.

wheelinround
31st July 2007, 10:20 AM
New a fellow went picked a brand new car up dealer tried in vein to get him to do insurance or a cover note over the phone with the insurance company guy refused said he handle it from home drove out the driveway Pacific Hwy Chatswood and was hit by a truck written off.

pitty the poor sap that buys it at auction

Purpleheart
31st July 2007, 11:34 PM
I know that losing the car hurts, but there are more important things in life... such as how'd your shed survive? :oo: No major casualties in the tool dept?

Seriously, I hope the cars were your largest losses.

The house survived, but only by a few inches or so. It was fairly hairy for a while there during the night.

We were lucky in the fact that both me and my other half had taken the day off work. We were going to go to Sydney for the day, but the weather was so crappy we stayed home.

So, when the flooding started, we were here and I was able to save heaps of stuff that would have otherwise been ruined. Only major casualties in the tool / machine department were 3 dust extractors which were mounted under benches etc, and were just too tricky to get out and up to higher ground in time. Plenty of little things were ruined, and they all add up, but thats what insurance is for.

What we lost was bad enough, but I don't have to walk far down the road and there are plenty of houses that went under. A bloke was washed away down a stormwater drain only a hundred metres away, never to be seen again.

Its all relative, and we are on the road to recovery. Others who copped it even worse will take longer.....:(

On a slightly more positive note, I might even have my new car by the weekend.....:)