PDA

View Full Version : Cannister

thefixer
22nd July 2007, 10:05 PM
I turned this one up this afternoon from a piece of timber that was given to me as red gum, but after running the saw through it I thought " this is not red gum but probably jarrah" Still not sure. The saw cut looks like jarrah but after turning and polishing it looks too dark to be either. Nice piece of wood anyway, turned easily without too much grabbing and sanded quite easily. Pic 1 & 2 are of my work and pic 3 is how I combat the Melbourne cold and be able to keep working in comfort and keep the scrap wood to a minimum:D
I think this one is screaming out for lid of contrasting colored timber. Let me know what yous reckon.

Cheers
Shorty

scooter
22nd July 2007, 11:03 PM
Nice work Shorty, love the finish :)

I want your shed heater. :D

Cheers...............Sean

thefixer
22nd July 2007, 11:15 PM
Nice work Shorty, love the finish :)

I want your shed heater. :D

Cheers...............Sean

Thanx Sean. Going by your location details you must be close to Berwick so you would know how bloody cold it gets here. The heater makes the cave the best spot to be.:-

scooter
22nd July 2007, 11:26 PM
About 15kms east :wink:

Manuka Jock
22nd July 2007, 11:27 PM
Shorty ,
to me , in the first pic has the look of a piece I have here , which I took to be mahogany .
Pic 2 .. not so sure now .

With a yellowish lid on it , mine looks like this .
( real lid to be turned sometime :rolleyes: )

Jock

thefixer
22nd July 2007, 11:36 PM
About 15kms east :wink:

Pakenham / Nar Nar Goon ?

Cheers Shorty

rsser
23rd July 2007, 09:28 AM
Both Jarrah and the Redgums vary in colour and the coarseness of the grain which can make it hard to tell them apart.

River Redgum makes me sneeze ... this botanical feature is not mentioned in Bootle ;-}

Rookie
23rd July 2007, 11:09 AM
I had some very old redgum fence post which my BIL saved for me. It was very hard and polished up exactly like yours, so I think red gum it may be. And it was very dusty when I turned it. Also had the sneezes because I didn't use a breather.

A-Marks
24th July 2007, 04:16 PM
I've asked high and low where to get an old keg for a similar purpose to yours (I wanna use it for a camp oven fire container for those places where open fires are banned)
where can i get one???

thefixer
24th July 2007, 05:58 PM
I've asked high and low where to get an old keg for a similar purpose to yours (I wanna use it for a camp oven fire container for those places where open fires are banned)
where can i get one???

Hi A-Marks

I sent you a pm regarding the keg.

Cheers
shorty

Allan at Wallan
24th July 2007, 09:19 PM
Nicely turned keg ... pity it didn't turn up in my shed
which is icy cold at times.

The wood looks pretty good too.

Well done!

Allan:D