PDA

View Full Version : Another Thicknesser Question

Carry Pine
24th July 2007, 03:33 PM
Why do they have those rollers on the top of the cheaper versions of thicknessers? What gets rolled across the top?

CP

Ruddigar
24th July 2007, 03:37 PM
:?

Got a pic?

Wongo
24th July 2007, 03:39 PM
You can pass your heavy stock from the out-feed table back to the in-feed table easily.

Also, they are not necessary cheaper.

Ruddigar
24th July 2007, 03:46 PM
You can pass your heavy stock from the out-feed table back to the in-feed table easily.

That sounds like a two man job, Wongo.

Dean
24th July 2007, 05:48 PM
Yep as wongo said, they are for moving stock from the outfeed back to the infeed side. Save you carrying it back around.

It is a quite useful feature actually :)

flynnsart
24th July 2007, 06:28 PM
They didnt last long on either out Jet or our Hafco, didnt seem to like the ironbark rolling over them. Picked up our new Rexon today, and it doesnt have them on, and in their place it has a little tool box.

Donna

Carry Pine
24th July 2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. Mystery solved. All in less than 24 hrs.

Graham

bsrlee
24th July 2007, 10:45 PM
It also helps to stop you stacking heaps of carp on top of the cabinet :doh:

Harry72
25th July 2007, 12:39 AM
I dont use them on mine... cant see the point once the board has been thicknessed you have to make adjustments before it can be run through again... unless you like serrated feed roller marks!
If its a single piece I feed the board through leaving it on the outfeed side(using an roller stand if its a long board) make the adjustment then feed it back through, why double handle the wood.
If thicknessing many boards you put them through one after the other then adjust the machine and feed them back again... unless you like stacking them on top of the machine or adjusting for every plank:rolleyes:

The only time I can see they'd be useful is machining square stock planing on two sides.

Wongo
25th July 2007, 10:18 AM
They didnt last long on either out Jet or our Hafco, didnt seem to like the ironbark rolling over them. Picked up our new Rexon today, and it doesnt have them on, and in their place it has a little tool box.

Donna

Donna, is yours the lightweight portable thicknesser? The rollers on the heavyweight ones are very tough.

Harry, I find it hard to move heavy long planks (say blue gum 2m X 30cm X 3.5cm) from the outfeed area to the infeed area. It is much easy easier to put the wood on the rollers while I am walking back to the infeed area.

If I am doing many boards then I will put them on a pair of sawhorses in the infeed area.

As for the roller marks, I have never seen any on my boards.

Carry Pine
25th July 2007, 08:18 PM
It also helps to stop you stacking heaps of carp on top of the cabinet :doh:

What if you are not a fisherman? Sorry, just had to put that one in.

CP

flynnsart
26th July 2007, 10:38 PM
Wongo there were two Rexon 12 1/2" thicknessers in the shop with the same model no.MB1931a We spotted the one we bought and were impressed with the sturdiness of it. The infeed and outfeed tables are both extendable and the rollers seem to be of a much sturdier material than our last thicknessers. The book that came with it has pictures of the standard pattern of thicknesser in it, not like what ours is at all. It cost us 420 i think, the fella marked it down for us. It is a different shape than the others, much cuter:p I will post a photo on the weekend if i can find my camera which seems to have disapeared.

Donna