PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Around Metal Door Frame

whizbang102000
25th July 2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Gents & Ladies,

I'm just about to embarke on laying a hard wood floor onto concrete:oo: and have one problem. The house has metal door frames which I'm reluctant to cut into in order to lay the floor boards under.

What would be the best method to profile around the metal door frame to ensure a neat finish.

Kind regards

Mark

pawnhead
25th July 2007, 01:54 PM
You'd have to leave at least a 10mm gap for expansion of the flooring.
What's your aversion to just cutting the jamb with a grinder? It would look a lot neater.

whizbang102000
25th July 2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply and I would like to trim the bottom of the frame but imagine how many and all the mess with sparks flying etc. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
As I'm gluing the wood to the floor I don't expect much if any expansion and imagined using a tool that profiles the door frame and which I can use to mark out the cuts within the wood.
<O:p></O:p>
??

Larry McCully
26th July 2007, 09:12 PM
Lay a piece of flooring up against the jam and mark with a pencil all the way around the jam and with a lazer metel cutting blade on your angle grinder cut through the jam and remove the bit so that you can slide your floor under the jam and not cut around it. Some metal jams will be full of concrete. Dont worry about that just cut the metal bit and then chisil out the concrete infill. The concrete is their as a stiffining agent. Your floor will hold up your jam when all is done. go for it.

whizbang102000
7th August 2007, 12:25 PM
Larry,

As it says "Flooring Contractor" so I would be silly not to take your advice.

Very much appreciate the qualified advice.

Kind regards

Mark

rod1949
7th August 2007, 04:09 PM
Lay a piece of flooring up against the jam and mark with a pencil all the way around the jam and with a lazer metel cutting blade on your angle grinder cut through the jam and remove the bit so that you can slide your floor under the jam and not cut around it. Some metal jams will be full of concrete. Dont worry about that just cut the metal bit and then chisil out the concrete infill. The concrete is their as a stiffining agent. Your floor will hold up your jam when all is done. go for it.

Is this an accepted industry standard/practice ? Seems a bit rough to me. So what happens when rust starts as a result of the cut ? Whats worng with scribing the flooring to the jamb ?