PDA

View Full Version : Compact Module System

Sokolic
25th July 2007, 10:29 PM
Currently I am using my grandfather’s 40 year old DeWalt Radial Arm Saw for most of my cutting. However I am thinking of getting a Festool CMS for use as a table saw to cut panels and to rip timber. Is the CMS good for sizing panels and do I need any attachments to do so or would it is better to use the guide rail and MFT.

nt900
26th July 2007, 12:20 AM
My late night thoughts, the general rule is:
Sizing panels and very accurate sizing of smaller panel parts -> MFT / TS Saw
Ripping and sizing smaller panel parts -> CMS / TS SawThe beauty of the Festool system is: If you start with one of the above options, you are only one other component away from having the second option as well - and the best of both worlds.

Which one to start with is a personal thing and probably dependent on other tools you have in the shop and/or upcoming projects. But the most economical way to evolve the system is to start with the CMS/TS then MFT. Gotta love the MFT as a general purpose assembly table.

Let's assume sizing panels means full 2,400mm sheet cuts, this will require sufficient length guide rails (single rail or two joined together). As discussed in another recent thread, think about the size of the MFT and how to support full size sheets if you need to cut them on it. Extension tables, rollers, something home made maybe.

Martingchapman
27th July 2007, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope that is Festool, once you get started it is impossible to stop, however.........

I have the CMS base, TS75 Saw module and saw, plus the sliding table. There is a TS55 set which comprises of this kit but with the TS55 saw and this is the most economical way to start. My dealer allowed me to upgrade the set to the TS75 for only the additional cost of the saw which was very fair. If you need the additional depth of cut from the TS75 then you may want to consider asking your dealer to do this.
The base with the saw module is only good for ripping unless you have the sliding table, you cant crosscut without this as the fence that come with the saw has to be fixed in place to something. When ripping you fix it to the table so that is fine but in this mode it does not move, you have to fix it to the sliding table to cross cut. However setting up and moving the fence is very quick and easy and very accurate.
With the set as supplied above you are limited as to the rip capacity, from memory (I am in the office) I think the maximum rip is about 300mm (dont quote me, check with Festool), if you want to go more than this you need the side extension table and additional rip fence, I think this will take the rip capacity to over 800mm.
Using the sliding table you can cross cut over 600mm very accurately.

Overall I can thoroughly recommend the CMS for cross cutting and limited rip cutting. For rip cutting larger panels I use the TS75 with a guide rail, this really is very easy and accurate.

The only down side of this approach is that fitting the saw into the table takes around five minutes. You remove the riving knife and replace it with the splitter (this supports the blade guarde in table mode), this is one allen screw. You fit the saw height adjuster, this is one allen screw. You clip in the splitter clamp and on/off switch hold on, then fix the saw into the table, four finger screws. You then turn the table top right side up, slot it into the table and secure it with two captive screws. It sounds more complex than it actually is.
This means that if you are using the saw with a guide rail for ripping and the table for cross cutting and small rips you will spend a little time fitting and releasing the saw from the table. However in my view this is a good excuse to purchase a stand alone TS55 for use with the guide rail and leave the TS75 in the table (I will do this when SWIMBO has recovered from the shock of the CMS purchase?).
The good news is that the saw always goes back into the same place so the scales on the table are accurate.

As to the MFT I dont have one, however looking at the spec and reading the forums it seems to be a useful assembly table but as supplied with a guide rail it appears more suited to cross cutting rather than ripping.

Hope this helps - Martin.