PDA

View Full Version : Woodstain

neila
31st March 2001, 09:48 PM
Hi I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I would be able to purchase ( Herdins )
Genuine Scandinavian Wood Stain in Australia
The Sole Australian Distributer listed on an old packet is Scan Products Pty Ltd P.O Box 1 Mt.Gravatt, Q4122. But they are no longer at that Address it is a powder that you mix with water and is made in sweden can Sombody please help Neil

Shane Watson
31st March 2001, 11:45 PM
Quick search on the yellow pages website dosn't list a business with that name. And nothing came up on the Australian Securities Commision site either. So I can only assume that company no longer exists, or its spelled wrong??

But it any case I have never heard of it, others may have. What colour is it? Can you not use another pigmented powder dye? Or of course you could always try U-beauts (http://www.ubeaut.com.au) range of Water Dyes (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dye.html) if you can't find what your looking for...

Hope this helps some.....Others may have more info for you...

Cheers

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

ubeaut
1st April 2001, 12:25 AM
That was good stuff I used it often years ago. To my knowledge it hasn't been readily available here for about 8-10 years. The packet you had was probably old stock. You could try asking at the shop where you originally purchased it, they should know if it is still available.

I think Wattyl came out with similar pigments about the same time that the other disappeared from the scene, maybe they sold out to Wattyl.

There is myriad of water dyes available you could try ours as Shane suggested or you can use Dylon cold or hot water dyes, available from Chemists, supermarkets, etc. You can also use strong tea, strong brewed coffee, beetroot juice, etc, etc. You can also use a dozen different chemicals that can be mixed with water to dye or chemically age timber.

Of the water type dyes there are literally hundreds available. "A Polishers Handbook" (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/book.html) has a lot of them listed along with how to use them.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

ubeaut
4th April 2001, 02:58 PM
Neil(a)

Just had a phone call from a gentleman who tells me that the stains you seek are still available through:

Malvern Paint & Timber
1933 Malvern Rd. East Malvern. Vic 3145
Phone: 03 9885 2883

I have spoken to them and they still have some there, however they seem to think that there is no more being imported into the country.

neila
12th April 2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by neila:
Hi I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I would be able to purchase ( Herdins )
Genuine Scandinavian Wood Stain in Australia
The Sole Australian Distributer listed on an old packet is Scan Products Pty Ltd P.O Box 1 Mt.Gravatt, Q4122. But they are no longer at that Address it is a powder that you mix with water and is made in sweden can Sombody please help Neil

Thank you all for your assistance I Have managed to purchase some of the powder dye thankyou again Neila

Gerald Mugavin
16th October 2004, 11:26 PM
Did you have any luck finding any Herdins wood stain? I am also looking for some. Thanks.

Gerald Mugavin

Chesand
17th October 2004, 08:17 AM
It seems that Herdins has disappeared. I have been chasing No 70 Modern Brown to match some that I used on my daughter's furniture a little while ago.
I have tried every hardware store and paint store that I have passed in and around Melb over the last 18 months or more. A few can remember it but most have not heard of it. Malvern Paint & Finishes sold all that they had as a job lot to someone.
I wrote to the Qld address but letter was returned.
I have found the Herdins site in the Net but it is not in English so difficult to understand.
It was easy to use and gave very good results.

Dewy
18th October 2004, 05:07 AM
There is myriad of water dyes available you could try ours as Shane suggested or you can use Dylon cold or hot water dyes, available from Chemists, supermarkets, etc. You can also use strong tea, strong brewed coffee, beetroot juice, etc, etc. You can also use a dozen different chemicals that can be mixed with water to dye or chemically age timber.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
I use the water based stain my grandfather used to use to age pine.
Potassium permanganate in a weak solution.
Its bright purple but oxydises on contact to a brown.
My early attempts left it blotchy as the wood soaked it up immediately.
I learned to dampen the wood first then use a sponge to apply the pot perm KMnO4.
Using a very weak solution helps to build up the colour slowly til the desired colour is reached.
KMnO4 is a source of oxygen so care should taken to prevent fire.
It has the advantage of being cheaper than anything else to stain wood with.
1 ounce (25g) will last for years if kept in a bottle with lid to exclude the air.
Because of the oxidisation it more closely resembles natural aging than dyes.