PDA

View Full Version : How do I mill stuff

neddy
27th July 2007, 04:23 PM
Howdy..............I got some kauri pine from an old vat from CUB. Dimensions are 220x65x3600 long....my question is how do I mill this to more useable sizes? If anyone could help that would be great.

weisyboy
27th July 2007, 05:42 PM
with a mill ofcorse

journeyman Mick
27th July 2007, 05:49 PM
You can resaw it with a table saw or a bandsaw (or by hand, I guess). A bandsaw will turn less of it into sawdust.

Mick

outback
27th July 2007, 05:54 PM
Generally milling refers to the initial cutting up of a log. What you require help with is resawing. Maybe a post in another area of the forum will turn up further advice.

Pursuant to that, I would be looking to either a bandsaw, or more likely a table saw.
I guess it depends largely on what dimensions you are after.

Spoon Man
8th September 2007, 07:12 PM
1. The way I usually do it is firstly make a straight cut across one end of the plank with a tenon saw.....I ensure I get this cut 100% straight.

2. I then use a set sqaure against the straight cut I just made and draw a line down one side of the plank.

3. Once I have done that, I plane the plank down to the line I have made to ensure its nice and flat. (you can skip the first 3 steps if the plank is already squared and/or dressed.)

4. I use a table saw or band saw to cut the timber into the lengths I need. Seeing that your timber is 220mm wide, you could cut it down to conventional size widths of 35mm wide strips. 220mm wide divided by 35mm will give you 6 strips with 10mm left over for waste from the blade....you may find the last piece may be a little less than 35mm.

5. Once I have the strips at 35mm wide by 3600mm long, I turn the strips one at a time on there side. The 65mm edge will now be resting on the table and the 35mm resting against the fence. It's up to you what thickness you want. You could cut the pieces 45mm thick which will give you 2 pieces: one at
35mm wide x 45mm thick x 3600mm long
and
35mm wide x 19mm thick (approx. - maybe a little less) x 3600mm long.

I hope this helps, let me know how you go.....but as this post is old, you may have cut it up already. But maybe helpful for future projects.