PDA

View Full Version : Shop Shots

Fredo
27th July 2007, 09:39 PM
Here are some pictures of my shop. I'd like to see how others have their shops set up so feel free to post some pics of your own.

Especially for you Rsser - the 10c tour (enjoy)

Fredo

ozwinner
27th July 2007, 09:44 PM
:2tsup: Sawdust.:2tsup: Nice to see it, a lot of work shop pics are so clean they are sterile..

Al :)

Wild Dingo
27th July 2007, 09:48 PM
Yes sawdust... imported for the photo shoot methinks :; see how theres just that little pile around the lathe? and then theres that need dumped load right on the floor?... imported... and then theres the total disgusting organized thing with that shed I reckon its like that all the time terrible state of affairs and must be at least 50 code violations!! :o

Love the tools mate! :2tsup:

Burnsy
27th July 2007, 09:51 PM
I like the treadle lathe, is that for when the power goes out:wink:

Nice shed, I like organised but used, I'm just not so good at maintaining the organised bit.

boban
27th July 2007, 09:56 PM
Looks like you enjoy making cabinets.

I love the ways the guys get excited at the sight of sawdust on the floor.

Looks like a well set up shed mate.

Waldo
27th July 2007, 10:03 PM
G'day Fredo,

That's a real nice set-up you've got there. :2tsup:

And that lathe to the left of the Virmac :o - what a monster.

Fredo
27th July 2007, 10:22 PM
Some of my work

Fredo

boban
27th July 2007, 10:32 PM
Nice work Fredo.

So I guess I was wrong about the cabinets.

Nice side console you have there. What do you fish for?

DJ’s Timber
27th July 2007, 11:08 PM
Sure got some sweet machinery there Fredo and some beautiful work done there mate :2tsup:

Got enough lathes yet or is there still more to come :o :q :U

TTIT
28th July 2007, 12:39 AM
I'm so jealous I wasn't gonna post! Hmmmph:~ 4 lathes, room to swing a cat and beautiful work to boot! Just ain't cricket!
I reckon I could have guessed your occupation from your work :; What do you call the big gear in a diff' again???? :U Love the burl bowl - very smick :2tsup:

OGYT
28th July 2007, 05:14 AM
I'm jealous, too! Nice tools, Mate. What's the monster to the left of the Vic?
Work's awesome, too... matches the tools. :D I'd like to see piccies of your router setup.

Fredo
28th July 2007, 10:36 AM
Hey Dingo, just between you and me the work shown was cobbled together from imported sawdust. Do you think anyone'll notice?

Waldo and OGYT - the grey lathe pictured is an English Union Graduate bowl lathe. It is heavy cast iron construction from the 60s, I think. It came to Australia with Richard Raffan and has seen a lot of use as one of his production lathes. I purchased it from him several years ago, restored it and converted it to variable speed. I find it good to use as there is unobstructed access from the front.

Boban, the boat is a quinnie top ender. I use it on the south coast estuaries and not far off shore. Fish, the usual suspects - flatties, snapper, salmon etc and what ever surprises come along. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< font O:p<>

Fredo
</O:p<>

ptc
28th July 2007, 11:49 AM
Now you have upset Ern.
Great turnings.

Hardenfast
28th July 2007, 11:53 AM
Most excellent, Master Fredo. Much to aspire to there.

Could you enlighten an unlightened one as to how you carve the patterns and grooves into the works? Also, what is the blue band in the second bowl? Some sort of turquoise filler, I'm guessing. Is the top rim of the bowl stained? Do I have any more questions? Absolutely!

So much stuff to learn - so much equipment to acquire....sigh......

Wayne

Gil Jones
28th July 2007, 01:42 PM
Very nice shop layout, Fredo, and a great collection of tools too.
I like your turning work!!!:2tsup:

rsser
28th July 2007, 03:54 PM
10c well spent Fredo ;-} ... thanks.

Great collection of lathes and tools .... gee, I thought I needed addiction counselling :;

ss_11000
28th July 2007, 08:26 PM
awesome set up mate:2tsup:

dai sensei
28th July 2007, 08:56 PM
:tongueroll:

Harry72
28th July 2007, 09:17 PM
Awesome set of toys mate!

Fredo
28th July 2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys.

Hardenfast - in regards to the bowl with green stripe, firstly, it was turned and sanded. The rim of the bowl was not stained but actually scorched with a small gas torch and sanded lightly. The flutes were then cut in to the rim with a home built router jig (don't have pics of the jig at the moment). On the inside of the bowl a series of small grooves were cut into the surface, using a diamond point scraper. A green acrylic paint pen, similar to a texta, was used to apply several coats into the grooves. You can buy the paint pens (in a few different colours) from Bunnings for about $10. The star motif was then cut in with another home built router jig - very carefully. The bowl was then finished with two coats of Danish oil.

Fredo

Kea5
29th July 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm just jealous. I can admit it :)

Nice work too!

Calm
29th July 2007, 06:02 PM
Here are some pictures of my shop. I'd like to see how others have their shops set up so feel free to post some pics of your own. - Fredo

In the interest of fair play i will take your challenge and show my set up at the moment.

Sob' :C sob' :C all i get to do is checkout harry72 and your great setup then check out mine and realise how lucky you blokes are

Yes watching ern on his "STUBBY" and reading the forum gets one frustrated and jealous again:C :C

Aaah well at least i have something to look forward too, no dust up my nose, no wood chips in the eyes, not having to sharpen chisels, NO SAAAAANDING. :rolleyes:

Aaarh yes life is not all bad after all.:U

Now its easy for the rest of you, you must fit in between these two:2tsup:

hughie
29th July 2007, 06:43 PM
David I 've got one of those........:U pics to follow

Ticky
29th July 2007, 08:59 PM
I agree with Hughie, Dave. Your shed looks just like mine, except mine is 24' long & 20' wide.

But listen mate, I can help you I recon. I'll slip over your way one weekend & take that roll top out of your hands. Then you will have a bit more room in your shed.

Steve

scooter
30th July 2007, 12:20 AM
What do you call the big gear in a diff' again????

Crown wheel, Vern, I thought the same thing :)

Ripping workshop, Fredo, & lovely work :2tsup:

Cheers..................Sean

rsser
30th July 2007, 12:57 PM
You been turning bar-b-que plates in your past David? :D ...

Pics attached of mine. A garage divided into two; one side was meant to be the shed and the other a kindof garage but somehow the machinery has spread :-

1. One category does 3000rpm the other 11,500 :p
2. Dusty, router table and assorted family junk
3. Buzzer ... constant work to keep the top rust free
4. Key tools for a soothing session at the lathe :D

... more next

rsser
30th July 2007, 01:04 PM
1. Lathe with one of DJ's blanks
2. Toolboard ... hollowers, chucks etc kept in boxes away from the dust
3. Grinding station. The GMC has a soft small abrasive wheel used for taking rust off handtools
4. Yet more machinery.
5. Stores (note product placement ... hint hint :roll: )

The table saw is covered in stuff in order to make space for the turnfest ... it's in there somewhere :o

It's easy to get approval to install an air con. Just smoke a stinking pipe in the house for a week :U

Caveman
30th July 2007, 05:37 PM
Hey all - nice pics - makes mine look like.......well......a bit of a cave - which I guess it is.

I hasten to add it's looking a bit tidier at present - these pics were taken a wee while back.

1. a stitched picture.
2. the faithfull audience - they never complain about getting covered in flying shavings.
3 & 4. max. capacity for my poor old lathe.

Calm
30th July 2007, 06:46 PM
Caveman :2tsup:

Lovely to see the shavings coming off. Didnt have anything to do with the photos chosen did it? :D :rolleyes:

Ah i can only dream:C

Ern, very observant but no i can't sharpen tools that good.

Caveman
30th July 2007, 08:25 PM
Lovely to see the shavings coming off. Didnt have anything to do with the photos chosen did it? :D :rolleyes:

Nah................ok, well maybe just a little:-:B - amazing wood that one - is totally dry yet it still peels off like wet timber and remarkably leaves a very nice finish off the tool unlike most really soft woods.

rsser
31st July 2007, 05:10 PM
Looks like a real shed Andy.

'spect the sealer is for wounds suffered in the heat of action ? ;-}

What's the wood btw?

TTIT
31st July 2007, 05:25 PM
......... amazing wood that one - is totally dry yet it still peels off like wet timber and remarkably leaves a very nice finish off the tool unlike most really soft woods.Yeah well don't you go tellin' anyone what is or anything silly like that now!!!!!:C Not like we would want a dream timber like that, nah, we'll just keep turnin' bricks in to dust, don't you worry about us Andy, we'll be right mate! :C

:;

hughie
31st July 2007, 08:29 PM
Andy,

luv da shed!

Caveman
31st July 2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks Hughie - does the required job - keeps the rain off (when it actually does rain), but it does get a bit hot at times.

Looks like a real shed Andy.
'spect the sealer is for wounds suffered in the heat of action ? ;-}
What's the wood btw?

:U Sealer is the best thing I find that does the job - can't get all the right stuff out here. The wood is here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=53616) - is lovely to work with - leaves a nice aroma for some time after.

Yeah well don't you go tellin' anyone what is or anything silly like that now!!!!!:C Not like we would want a dream timber like that, nah, we'll just keep turnin' bricks in to dust, don't you worry about us Andy, we'll be right mate! :C
:;

Sorry Vern - I'm sure you guy's have something close to it? It's in the Lauraceae family - I keep reading about camphor larel with you guy's (maybe not from your neck of the woods though) - must be close to it?

OGYT
1st August 2007, 11:46 AM
Now that's what I call a shed! Wood all over the place, everything covered in shavings... piece partially turned... shows you use it, Andy. :)
Looks like a Vicmarc under the drillmotor...?? What's the other lathe?
And the wood with the sealed ends? Looks goo-oo-ood! (But it would look better layin' by feet.) :D

rsser
1st August 2007, 05:16 PM
... and what will go to make space for the Stubby??

Caveman
1st August 2007, 06:56 PM
Now that's what I call a shed! Wood all over the place, everything covered in shavings... piece partially turned... shows you use it, Andy. :)
Looks like a Vicmarc under the drillmotor...?? What's the other lathe?
And the wood with the sealed ends? Looks goo-oo-ood! (But it would look better layin' by feet.) :D

:U Al - the main lathe I use is an old Record Coronet No. 1 handed down to me by my father - is around 20 years old. The other is one of the them roadside chaiwanese types that I guess is closely related to the MC900 - this is what I started on before I got the Record one.

The wood is Screbera alata here's (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=557220#post557220) a look at a finished piece - nice stuff. Have a fair amount blanked up or rough turned - waiting to dry.

... and what will go to make space for the Stubby??

Ah ha - that's the dilema that's churning round the already overloaded hard drive.
I'm thinking I'll remove the Record off it's homemede frame and mount just the headstock to use for finishing or holding buffing / sharpening pads/discs etc...???

Fredo
1st August 2007, 08:19 PM
Calm - had a shed like that once, couldn't get the door opened or closed.

Rsser - neat, organised and functional, just how I like them. Looks like it would be a lot warmer than my tin shed.
Sweet ride Ern, I'm a big MotoGP and Superbike fan, (Fox Sport) fabulous racing and some Aussies going well too.

Caveman - the stitched picture shows you have all the necessary weapons to take care of that pile of wood. Max capacity... you're 35 years young and enthusiastic, you have it covered.

orificiam
24th February 2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Guys This is where I do my woodturning.It's tiny compered to some of yours but I can move from one lathe to the other or to the grinder just by turning arround.
plus the wiew from the shed is OK. BTW this shed is only for woodturnig.Anything else gets done in the Garage.
Cheers Tony.:)

new_guy90
24th February 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Guys This is where I do my woodturning.It's tiny compered to some of yours but I can move from one lathe to the other or to the grinder just by turning arround.
plus the wiew from the shed is OK. BTW this shed is only for woodturnig.Anything else gets done in the Garage.
Cheers Tony.:)

nice shed Tony is that a home made mini lathe you got there? must be a joy to work in there :2tsup:

Patrick

new_guy90
24th February 2009, 08:18 PM
Here are some pictures of my shop. I'd like to see how others have their shops set up so feel free to post some pics of your own.

Especially for you Rsser - the 10c tour (enjoy)

Fredo

dude i how many lathes do you have! Vicmarc! a graduate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and what a beautiful old treadle lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(( i got some serious lathe envy here:C ...........could you post some more pic's of that treadle lathe please those old iron machines are so cool

thanks for showing your shop

Patrick

Edit: 2 VICMARCS!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD YOU HAVE A VL175 AND IS THAT A VL200!!!!!!!!! .............ok its done im going to get a vicmarc when i have the money!!!!!!! look out in a month!!!!!!!! im coming!!!!!!!!!! aaaahhhhhhhhh

orificiam
24th February 2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Patrick yes it is a home made mini,I use it mostly for turning pens.
Cheers Tony.:):)

new_guy90
25th February 2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Patrick yes it is a home made mini,I use it mostly for turning pens.
Cheers Tony.:):)
nice :2tsup: i love seeing home made tools and machines especially lathes thanks for showing

Patrick