PDA

View Full Version : A Matching Set

joe greiner
28th July 2007, 04:17 AM
Well, almost. I turned these over a period of about two weeks (interrupted by other tasks, turning and otherwise). I got the outside of the bowls close to identical by using a captive wire adjustable template, working back and forth between the two blanks, and trying to duplicate my mistakes of each on the other. In hindsight, this would have gone better if I'd left the log intact instead of cutting the two blanks at the outset. I turned a tenon/spigot for the bottom of each blank. To facilitate several cycles of re-mounting, I marked the numbered jaw positions on each blank; this worked well to reduce wobble, especially with tailstock assistance.

They were intended to be short goblets or vases, but during the exercise I found a couple votive candle lights at a garage sale, so the mission changed to candle holders. I excavated the bowls to mate with the candle inserts.

I was less diligent about matching the stems. The design is loosely based on classical Roman forms. Turning the short stems, with the included bead, can be prone to disaster, and I didn't want to push my luck.

The wood is mulberry, which I got from a fellow member of my woodturning club. It exhibited nice chatoyance (glistening, sort of) even short of the final sanding. It does, however, seem to have weak fiber-to-fiber cohesion in spots, and I got a couple instances of breakout, which I probably won't patch. Tearout was also a factor in attaining the matching form on the outside of the bowls.

Dimensions are 3.5" diameter x 5" high (90mm x 125mm). The finish is shellac, appled with a brush and immediately buffed until dry; this is almost French polishing (according to my weak understanding), but not quite; topped with paste wax, also buffed on the lathe.

After completion, I found some mulberry scented candles at another garage sale. I accepted this as an omen of confirmation.

Joe

OGYT
28th July 2007, 04:36 AM
Perfect enough for an old goat like myself, Joe. Good job.

scooter
30th July 2007, 12:11 AM
Nice Joe, beautiful grain, especially in the LH one in the first pic.

ss_11000
30th July 2007, 12:17 AM
there's a difference?

good work mate:clap:

joe greiner
30th July 2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks, y'all. I think left/right was consistent in all the pics. And, yep, the grain is spectacular. I think it was a bush/shrub, not a whole tree. Some mulberry tree turnings I've seen on the web seem more ordinary. Lots of short branch stubs, and a leftover remnant looks like it has a small burl. Not sure how I'll handle it.

Joe

Hardenfast
30th July 2007, 05:44 PM
That is to be my next challenge, Joe. That is, producing and reproducing a shape that's consistent over a few pieces, although my initial project will be somewhat more modest than your candle holders (some chisel handles). In any case, it's somewhat reassuring to see that its still a daunting process for the experienced turners.

Or is it? I'll have to think about that for a moment. Also, can I ask what a "captive wire adjustable template" is?

Very nice work, Master Goat. Mulberry? The Dickens, you say? It seems that all of the fuit trees produce very nice timber for turning.

Wayne

joe greiner
31st July 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi, Wayne. This is the first time I tried duplicating pieces in woodturning. For some other things, I've found it best to work incrementally, like I did on the outside of the bowls; fewer steps to memorize between each piece, and easier to achieve consistency. As I said, keeping the log intact would have facilitated things.

There's an interesting contraption for production spindle turning described at: http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/

Boink "Parallax pattern jig..."

Was available as direct link when I bookmarked it, but direct link now omits pictures; now need to access as listed here.

"Captive wire adjustable template" was the only name I could think of at the time. Good thing I saved the packaging. The actual name is "Contour Gauge." Here 'tis:
http://www.toolking.com/greatneck_cg6c.aspx

Joe

BernieP
31st July 2007, 02:06 PM
G'Day Joe

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bernie