PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Tree Pics for TTIT

OGYT
28th July 2007, 07:47 AM
Here's the Mesquite I said I'd post a pic of.
Pic 1. Mesquites grow well without much, if any, soil moisture. Their tap roots can go three times as deep as the tree is tall, looking for water.:oo:

Pic 2. The trunks of most Mesquites don't look like this one. When I set it out, it was only about 75 to 100mm tall, and I forgot about it. I mowed it down twice, before I discovered what I'd done. It came up in three branches, so I braided them together to give them more strength and this is the result. (A cord of three strands is not easily broken....):wink:

Pic 3. Closer view, showing the leaves, a few of the beans, and the little fuzzy gizmos it puts on in the early summer. The fatter leaves are because we've had a year's worth of rain in the last 6 months.:2tsup:
Sorry this one isn't a better closeup. The beans are to the right of center...

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Allan at Wallan
28th July 2007, 11:13 AM
Mmmm, looks to be getting too big for the garden.
Now, how many branches can be lopped off equals
how many pen blanks?

How long did it take to get to this size after you
accidentally pruned it?

Allan.

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

OGYT
28th July 2007, 02:09 PM
Mmmm, looks to be getting too big for the garden.
Now, how many branches can be lopped off equals
how many pen blanks?

How long did it take to get to this size after you
accidentally pruned it?

Allan.

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

It's definately needin' a trim. I haven't been too caught up in what we in the upover call 'yardwork'. I'll get out there one of these days and lop off a few of those that are hangin' down in my way, but I can't cut the big ones without cuttin' down the tree. Gettin' to the size it'll get invaded by my grape vines in the summer, but then, since I started turnin' I haven't taken proper care of them, either.
Never thought about the pruned limbs bein' pen blanks... since I don't turn pens. Wonder what it'd cost to ship a few to Oz?
I don't remember exactly when I planted it, but it has to be around '96 or '98..... I think.:?

rsser
28th July 2007, 03:48 PM
Cut it down Al; it's ruining the view....

then you'd have some v. interesting crotch pieces from around the base ;-}

hughie
28th July 2007, 05:06 PM
Al,

What are ya gonna turn some platted crotch work bowls. :U

sori couldn't help myself. :U :U

TTIT
29th July 2007, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the pics Al - definitely haven't seen any here yet - and I somehow doubt they would look that healthy growing out here anyway! It's a good feeling to be growing your own blanks eh! I planted an African Mahogany here just 6 years ago and dubbed it 'the furniture tree' - it's already about 300mm diameter at the base - reckon I could get a side-table out of it no problem - dining table by this time next year - buffet by.........:U