PDA

View Full Version : The Scary Sharp method

3Landerblue
5th September 2003, 07:49 PM
I have just purchased a Stanley number 5 and a block plane, both new. I also have a chinese copy of a number 4 which I have fitted with a Stanley blade.

Interesting this scary sharp method of using sandpaper as I always remember my woodwork teacher saying that before sanding timber to put away the bench planes?

Now here we are sharpening them with the stuff.

I'm going to give it a go though.

cheers 3Landerblue

rob_tassie
11th September 2003, 03:34 PM
I have seen jigs and things for holding plane blades while using the scarysharp system and I can easily imagine adapting those for holding chisels and similar flat edged cutting tools, but I have not seen one for a turning gouge or, more importantly from my current perspective, a knife edge.

I know there are some very effective knife sharpening kits (like my Lansky set) that do a beeeeyoooootiful job but, well paint me orange and call me pedantic but I am always interested in finding other ways to do things.

Besides, since I hate pain, I much prefer the first sign that I've cut myself to be wondering where all that blood is coming from....

Does anyone know where I can find jigs and guides that will help me do this? ( thats sharpen my sharp - well blunt really - things ).

derekcohen
12th September 2003, 03:29 AM
The Veritas jig gets my recommendation. Not the cheapest (I think it is about $75 from Carba-tec) but significantly better than the rest. It comes as either one or two parts - a honing guide and an angle setting jig. It is worth getting both since it makes sharpening much less of an ordeal.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Neal
12th September 2003, 08:31 AM
3Landerblue i think from memory (wherever that is) that the reason to not plane pre sanded timber is because whatever paper you use could leave behind abrassive particles inbedded in the timber so if you sharpen with say the scary sharp up to 1500 paper & sand to finish the timber with 380 grit you may end up re honing your plane blade back to 380 if used after sanding.
Pretty sure thats right but hey been wrong before. So basically Plane Sand Finish.
Neal