PDA

View Full Version : What Glue?

sailor
28th July 2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I am laminating two pieces of plywood
What would you concider the best adhesive to use?

Steve

echnidna
28th July 2007, 07:30 PM
what are you laminating it for?

sailor
28th July 2007, 07:47 PM
To double the thicknes!

I guess you mean the application - router table

Steve

echnidna
28th July 2007, 07:50 PM
Pva is good enough.
These days I generally use crosslinked pva as its moisture resistant.

sailor
28th July 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks bob,

I was thinking this might be the best option.

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Steve

Lignum
28th July 2007, 08:22 PM
what are you laminating it for?

To double the thicknes!

:D

echnidna
28th July 2007, 08:45 PM
well if he'd been laminating it to get a curved surface I wouldna said pva

bitingmidge
28th July 2007, 08:50 PM
well if he'd been laminating it to get a curved surface I wouldna said pva

I s'poes you would have told him not to bother, you can get a curved surface just by leaving it on wet grass for a while!

I agree BTW, crossed linked PVA is the best thing since epoxy! :wink:

Cheers,

P

Hardenfast
30th July 2007, 11:33 AM
Like Echidna and Midge have said, cross linked PVA (eg Selleys "Tradesmans Choice") is a great product. Versatile, gap filling (within reason), relatively short set time but good working time. You can also thin it a little with water to make it more "paintable" for large surfaces like plywood sheeting with minimal performance loss.

Toolin Around
30th July 2007, 01:40 PM
I s'poes you would have told him not to bother, you can get a curved surface just by leaving it on wet grass for a while!

I agree BTW, crossed linked PVA is the best thing since epoxy! :wink:

Cheers,

P

In fact some guy in Fine wood working just did a side by side test and the type 1 PVA came out better than epoxy in all situations tested. He didnt test water resistance which I suspect epoxy would be better.

Lignum
30th July 2007, 01:48 PM
In fact some guy in Fine wood working just did a side by side test and the type 1 PVA came out better than epoxy in all situations tested..

Their is a mob here in Vic who laminate 100 x 50`s for legs on a large scale for the industry, and they have come up with the same results and now only use Titebond 111

MurrayD99
30th July 2007, 03:41 PM
Just a thought. Would 2 pieces of ply make a good router table top? I'm not sure they would be straight (flat) enough to start with. A Melamine/MDF product laminated to 40mm might be a better approach. 'less you wanted the surface curved for some reason:D

sailor
30th July 2007, 05:07 PM
Murra,

A good marine ply is if bought at a reputable supplier not only flat but much more stable than any MDF top.

It will also be laminated top and bottom with hard wood edging.

Regards

Steve

MurrayD99
30th July 2007, 05:47 PM
Murra,

A good marine ply is if bought at a reputable supplier not only flat but much more stable than any MDF top.

It will also be laminated top and bottom with hard wood edging.

Regards

Steve

I'll pull my head in, in that case Steve:U . I only ever worked with 12mm pine ply and that moves around a bit. I still haven't got around to doing the edges of my table. Got the hardwood cut and ready to fit but.......