PDA

View Full Version : What first drill press or dusty

Burnsy
28th July 2007, 08:28 PM
I have been looking around for a drill press and have around $350 to spend. I don't have any particular need for one but know I will use it allot. I am keen for a floor standing press and have been looking at the Hafco one or Sherwood from Timbecon.

I was in Timbecon today and see they have the 2hp 1200CFM dusty on special for $299. This gets me thinking that maybe I should look after my health first and spend on this before the drill press. If I do do this, is this a good dusty or is there better value for money out there, should I wait for the woodwork show in two weeks?

I have read through some of the older posts on drill presses and dusties but could do with any further comments anyone wishes to add.

Cheers,
mike

bitingmidge
28th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Without a proper filter on the dusty, you have a chip collector which distributes dust, and you should keep wearing your respirator anyway!

I'm with Bill Pentz on this one, when you do it, do it properly and finish off with a room dust filter as well!

That leaves you free to get the drill press I guess! If you don't need a big 'un, why not get a cheap bench model, like a Ryobi or whatever (not too cheap!). That will leave a bit of dough in the dusty fund too. Trouble is, you'll find it so handy you'll want to upgrade eventually.

Helpful aren't I?

P
:D

Burnsy
28th July 2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the quick response, i probably should add that I intent to put the dusty outside in it's own enclosure.

Mike

Harry72
29th July 2007, 01:47 AM
Yep a dusty set up is essential, but the price of the dusty is the start of it...
A dusty set up outside is best, also pays to have PFC fliters so you dont dust out the neighbors.

Drillpresses it pays to buy a goodun, unless you can check out personally the press for problems.