PDA

View Full Version : Turned Out

Jiminidaho
29th July 2007, 03:05 PM
Turned these pens today. I used Russian Olive and good ole Idaho Sage Brush. Kinda different.... I've got to get the CA Finish down, I think it would improve my pens finish. Your comment is welcome!

Jim
Turned Around In Idaho

ScrollZilla
29th July 2007, 03:25 PM
Jim,
Which is which? They both look awesome. Nicely done.

Rick

old dog
29th July 2007, 07:15 PM
G'Day Jim! your pens look good,:2tsup: just a bit in the dark mate!:wink:

PenTurner
29th July 2007, 08:42 PM
Hello Jim , the pens are looking good, how did you finish them? And yes , a little more light on them when you take the photos, would make them look better. Amos:)

bdar
29th July 2007, 10:48 PM
Jim I have some Russian Olive given to me by a Jiminalabama. Haven't turned it yet but after seeing the one you have done, I might break it out, I think I have a Blk Ti streamline kit somewhere. The Sage brush is the one I like the best due to the uniquness of the timber and I would say finding big enough pieces to make a pen from it, the colouration and grain are brilliant. The CA finish will come in time, it is just constant practice, slight adjusting of a basic method and allowing for different climates. Go to www.thepenshop.net
on the home page there is Fangars Finish in the Quest for knowledge section, it is a good starting point, then you tweak it to suit yourself.
Darren

Jiminidaho
30th July 2007, 01:02 AM
Ohh.. yeah..

The one on the left is Russian Olive and the one on the Right is Sage Brush.

I have had fustrating success with sage brush... You have to find a big enough piece and really study the wood to see where it would be best to make final cuts (to rough out a blank) and then have to be very selective where you drill. If you drill wrong you will (or more like I seem to) always hit a major crack. BLOW OUT! Dang. .....

Its all fun! thanks for the feed back.. BTW I have been using Friction Polish for the final approach..

Jim
Turned out in Idaho

karlkuehn
30th July 2007, 01:12 AM
Nice looking stuff, Jim!

The CA finish IMO is not terribly hard, just tedious. I find it helps to overturn the wood just a little, especially near the bushings and high spots to keep from sanding through and getting dull spots.

Keep up the good work. More light on the photos, or dump them into a graphics program and boost the brightness/contrast setting. You'd be amazed at what your camera actually catches that is workable with some minor tweaking. Just watch the color balance while you edit them. I'm still working on that...:U