PDA

View Full Version : Another use for a lathe

soundman
29th July 2007, 10:19 PM
well I was anticipating some fishing shortly and decided it was time I replaced the line on all my equipment.
Long overdue.... some of it was inherited from my brother and must have been 40 years old ( well on one of the hand lines)

So there I was hand winding a few hindred metres on to my old alvey..... gooord is any fish going to run that far....

Not much I could do about the alvey but I hapend to be doing this right next to the lathe.....Hmmmmmm

So I chucked up the hand lines on the lathe & set it to low speed &:2tsup: :2tsup: wind on:D

the smaller reels went on the standard jaws and the bigger ones on the cole jaws.

cheers

Bad Woodworker
29th July 2007, 10:22 PM
well I was anticipating some fishing shortly and decided it was time I replaced the line on all my equipment.
Long overdue.... some of it was inherited from my brother and must have been 40 years old ( well on one of the hand lines)

So there I was hand winding a few hindred metres on to my old alvey..... gooord is any fish going to run that far....

Not much I could do about the alvey but I hapend to be doing this right next to the lathe.....Hmmmmmm

So I chucked up the hand lines on the lathe & set it to low speed &:2tsup: :2tsup: wind on:D

the smaller reels went on the standard jaws and the bigger ones on the cole jaws.

cheersI like it!!!

ss_11000
29th July 2007, 10:53 PM
dont tell my dad....its my lathe:( :D

echnidna
29th July 2007, 11:59 PM
hmmm soundy,
should I tell yer how ter wind copper coils

glock40sw
30th July 2007, 08:39 AM
Do it all the time with decanting Mig wire from large rolls onto small ones.

bsrlee
30th July 2007, 09:47 PM
If the nut is not corroded on, it is very easy to take the spool off an Alvey side caster - you end up with something like the modern bright plastic handreels.

I've still got my father's old cork reels, some of which he got from his father.

Iain
4th August 2007, 05:51 PM
I've used the cordless drill for my Seamartin, just a slightly advanced Alvey, not by much though.....
After the first cast the arm criss crosses the line in that diamond pattern.

soundman
10th August 2007, 05:51 PM
Oh yeh there are other winding uses for lathes too.

Winding crossover chokes on a matal lathe is a good thing but my wood lathe is a bit fast for my liking..... if I would go at 60 to 90rpm..... I'd be much happier.

twisting up wire for looms.... making rope.....

all still would be better with a bit less speed.

spooling up fishing reels though..... great.

cheers