View Full Version : Pine Cone Rescue

PenTurner
30th July 2007, 10:07 PM
This Pine cone Sierra Titanium took ages to make, Why? because the brown part that you can partly see at the bottom, was a very soft sappy type of substance and when I started sanding much of it came away, so I filled with pine cone dust and CA, still it was not raised enough so filled with thick Ca in stages until it was enough to turn, sand and polish, that is the result. I took a few photos with different backgrounds to see which might look the best. Yes, it was worth the effort. Over to you for comments and instruction, Amos:)

DJ’s Timber
30th July 2007, 10:26 PM
Very nice Amos, well worth hanging in there

Barry_White
30th July 2007, 10:56 PM
Amos

I think you are a perfectionist and it is starting to show. I also think you are a 3P person. Patient, Persistant and Perseverence. That pen looks exquisite and is well worth the effort.

I think I will have to go looking for some pine cones.

ScrollZilla
30th July 2007, 11:44 PM
G'day Amos,
The only adjective that comes to mind when I see that pen is Gnarly! I really like that pen. The area at the bottom you mentioned is what really sets it off for me. From my perspective, the results were well worth the effort. That is a stand-out pen.

Cheers,

Rick

Allan at Wallan
30th July 2007, 11:49 PM
Well done Amos!

I have heaps of pine cones falling from a tree only 30 metres
from my shed. You are convincing me that I should make the
effort in retrieving some and experimenting with them.

Best wishes,

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Penpal
31st July 2007, 12:12 AM
You are spurring me to greater heights in camera use,your best effort.The moods created show how a pic can influence everything the pen works well and you can get lost in its depth. The last pic is the most peaceful on the eye but the others all have their merits.Great mate.

Regards Peter :2tsup:

schaf
31st July 2007, 06:59 AM
Amos ,a very nice pen.Well done,you have come a long wat in a short time.

I like the background of the last photo best.

regards
terry

karlkuehn
31st July 2007, 07:59 AM
Wow, Amos! That's an awesome pen, I think that's my favorite alternate material that I've seen. I'm going to have to start scavenging...:2tsup:

Simomatra
31st July 2007, 09:32 AM
Nice work there Amos

Well worth the great effort

Your backgrounds work wonders

stuarta
31st July 2007, 09:39 AM
Is there a tutorial for turning them into blanks for a pen?

I considered wetting a cone, adding gorilla glue then stuffing it into a small cylinder for drying.

I used the same technique for some left over shavings and the result is very different.
http://penblanksandpenkits.ning.com/photo/photo/show?id=721731:Photo:4458

PenTurner
31st July 2007, 10:26 AM
Thank you for the comments,:) if any of you are thinking of making pine cone pen, have plenty of CA available to stabilize as you go, as for the photos, the last photo I was not going to use that Background, it is Grey, yet it seems to be good for this case. Allan of Wallan, one day I am going to make a drive out that way--Pine Cones-- 1st on the list!!!!:rolleyes: :) :) Amos

old dog
31st July 2007, 10:42 AM
G'Day Amos looking good mate!:2tsup:

PenTurner
31st July 2007, 01:30 PM
It is all your fault Old Dog!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: , hours in the shed just to try and get a Pine Cone to look like a Pen!!:doh: , you started it with your great post and instructions, then left me to wallow in Pine Cones!:) Amos

BernieP
31st July 2007, 01:50 PM
G'Day Amos

Very nice, thanks for sharing, always looking at different uses of whats around.

Cheers
Bernie

dai sensei
31st July 2007, 09:27 PM
Gees these pens look good. I couldn't resist the other day when passing a pine tree, picked up a half doz cones to try out. I'll need to buy a heap more CA by the sounds of it though.

PenTurner
31st July 2007, 10:06 PM
Stuarta, you asked about tutorial, have a look at the thread, "Pine Cone Slimline" by Old Dog, towards the end he has shown some good photo instructions, also the photo of his slimline still has me watering at the mouth, it is a beauty. Amos:)

Allan at Wallan
5th August 2007, 08:18 PM
Amos,

It was a pleasure to have you visit today and go
fossicking in the back of the paddock for suitable
pine cones.

Time will tell whether they were suitable or not and
I look forward to seeing the results on the Forum site.

Your pine cone pen is a beauty!

Allan

PenTurner
6th August 2007, 02:37 PM
Folks, Alan has pens dropping off trees in his backyard:D ! what a pleasure to meet up with a fellow turner, and yes he is up to his eyeballs in blanks!:) Alan the pen at the front of this thread is yours. Amos

PenTurner
6th August 2007, 09:01 PM
Here is a pic of the pickings, thanks Alan, Amos:)

Allan at Wallan
6th August 2007, 11:53 PM
Many thanks Amos for such a gesture.

Went out for dinner tonight with friends and took
the pen. Handed it around for comments and
suggestions as to what it was made from.

They were astounded when I told them it was
previously a pine cone. Would love to have told
them that I made it but you got the credit and
deservedly so.:2tsup:

Thanks again my friend.

Allan