PDA

View Full Version : A Few Turnings

Little Festo
31st July 2007, 12:59 AM
Here are a few "carved" turnings.

The black wattle bowl is approx 400mm in diameter. carving and sanding seemed to take forever. Finished with Danish Oil.

The little Gmelina took longer to carve and sand than the Black wattle bowl - smaller too only 250mm (approx) in diameter. Finished with a precat. lacquer.

The Spaulted jacaranda is approx 380mm in diamater. Finished with Danish Oil - was very "oil hungry".

The last one isn't carved - (spaulted jacaranda) just turned, finished with Danish Oil too. Approx 380mm in diameter.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st July 2007, 01:18 AM
Mmmmmm... nice!

Especially the first one, in Black Wattle. :thyel:

Richard Findley
31st July 2007, 08:11 AM
Hi Little Festo,

Those are some impressive bowls:o !! Love the first one esspecially:2tsup: !

I think the photography deserves a mention too. They are really professional looking pictures... bet you've done that before:; !

Good job, keep up the good work:2tsup:

Richard

TTIT
31st July 2007, 08:47 AM
Very nice Peter - as always :2tsup: Interesting to see something fancy like the spalted Jacaranda being carved as well - usually allowed to shout for itself like your last piece.

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2007, 09:22 AM
Top stuff. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
31st July 2007, 09:31 AM
Brilliant Turnings!! :)

Cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
31st July 2007, 09:55 AM
inspiring stuff:2tsup:

ptc
31st July 2007, 12:01 PM
Outstanding as always.

OGYT
31st July 2007, 02:12 PM
Heirloom pieces!
(Don't see how you turned those on that treadle lathe). :wink:

Hardenfast
31st July 2007, 03:32 PM
Yikes! The more one visits here the more one realises how much one has to learn, doesn't one? My my my!

Seriously, a few WIP pics of the carving process of these works would be invaluable, Little Festo. Truly inspirational stuff!

Wayne

Bleedin Thumb
31st July 2007, 04:45 PM
Breathtakingly beautiful work!

benji79
31st July 2007, 05:21 PM
Beautifull work.

Yikes! The more one visits here the more one realises how much one has to learn, doesn't one? My my my!

Seriously, a few WIP pics of the carving process of these works would be invaluable, Little Festo. Truly inspirational stuff!

Wayne

I agree, I also have heaps to learn and it would be great to see some step by step pics of this type of work.

Benji.

scooter
31st July 2007, 06:23 PM
Noice ! Agree with above, the first bowl is a blinder :2tsup:

Cheers................Sean

BernieP
31st July 2007, 07:58 PM
G'Day Little Festo

They are all stunning, but love the lip treatment on the spalted jacaranda,
thanks for sharing

Cheers
Bernie

Fredo
31st July 2007, 08:22 PM
Little Festo - fabulous turnings, just love flutes, slots, swirls and grooves. Please tell us about the sanding, how much time did you spend on the first three?

Fredo

hughie
31st July 2007, 08:27 PM
I think you dun good! :U :2tsup:

Caveman
31st July 2007, 08:35 PM
:2tsup: Really nice Peter. My favorite is the Gmelina one - love the shape.

Great to see that Jacaranda spalts quite readily - I recently picked up a huge load - some logs around 80cm diameter. Have sawn most of them up into blanks and have rough turned a few.
I'm doing a trial with a couple of rough turned bowls to see if I can induce a quick spalting - will have a look in a couple weeks time to see how they look.

Little Festo
31st July 2007, 10:41 PM
:2tsup: Really nice Peter. My favorite is the Gmelina one - love the shape.

Great to see that Jacaranda spalts quite readily - I recently picked up a huge load - some logs around 80cm diameter. Have sawn most of them up into blanks and have rough turned a few.
I'm doing a trial with a couple of rough turned bowls to see if I can induce a quick spalting - will have a look in a couple weeks time to see how they look.

Andy,
It gets quite "punky" and the wood loses it's strength so not too thin. The piece without any carving is quite thin and i had a problems with cracking also some areas become much "softer" than others and if you oversand you can end up with uneveness - smooth but bumpy. (hope this makes sense) not too noticable to the eye but can definatly be felt. Could be harden by soaking with thinned varnish and left to harden for a couple of days, solves tear-out of the punky areas when turning too. I oiled these after sealing with a few applications of shellac as a sealer BUT the wood still absorbed copious quantities of oil, maybe I should have used a sanding sealer. The oil gave it a nice golden yellow glow but lots of work.

Fredo,

Lots of sanding. Black Wattle is quite hard so sanding is quite a chore - lost my fingerprints for a couple of days and my fingers bled at least once or twice (DNA signature :D) - ok for a dark timber like black wattle BUT a real pain with Gmelina - light AND porious/loose grained.

Peter

littlebuddha
8th June 2008, 09:53 PM
Always nice to your work, like them all some nice woods, but no 2 is the one for me. Well on keep um coming. LB:2tsup: