PDA

View Full Version : Triton Workcentre Attachments

DPB
7th September 2003, 09:31 AM
The Triton Workcentre 2000 has a number of attachments that are said to enhance the performance of the basic Workcentre. The above poll will help us understand how these are rated by users.

kenmil
7th September 2003, 08:03 PM
I would think that if you have no intention/need to cut large sheets, then the height winder is an absolute blessing, especially if you have a sore back. Otherwise, the sliding extension table is a very clear winner. Depends upon your usage really.

zathras
7th September 2003, 09:23 PM
Having just passed 8 8x4 sheets thru the triton using the sliding extension table I wholeheartedly agree that it is a very very powerful addition to the workcentre.

The plus of course is that it is VERY easy to end up with square panels.

What I'd really like though is another sliding table I can drop on and is fixed at 90deg but still adjustable and fiddle the other for rip cuts.

The height winder is my second favourite, especially as I never use my triton in crosscut any more and have boxed in the lower section and coupled it up to my cyclone, works great, especially for MDF.

A non triton accessory which is essential with 8x4 panels is an elcheapo roller stand from Crazy Clints or warehouse etc.

Sturdee
7th September 2003, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zathras

What I'd really like though is another sliding table I can drop on and is fixed at 90deg but still adjustable and fiddle the other for rip cuts.

[QUOTE]

Have you thought of making your own table? You can purchase the 4 plastic runners for the table from Triton as spares. I did , but I haven't got around to making them . Cost was approx $ 10.

Regards

Peter

zathras
8th September 2003, 08:27 AM
yeah, the thought has crossed my mind.

A bit of angle iron, rhs or whatever, zappo with the old mig welder and we're away.

Incorporate a measuring scale and I'm done.

The biggest hinderance would be Mr Roundtuit, you only think of these nice mods when you're knee deep in it and cant find the time otherwise to finish the job.... Well that's me sometimes :)

Cheers Ray

Sturdee
8th September 2003, 08:57 AM
I know , its on my to do list.

Mine will be a piece of chipboard on a timber frame with a fixed fence and incorporating two quick release toggle clamps I bought from Carbatec.

Not the full size as the Triton table so I can use it on both the workcentre and the router table.

A measuring scale on the fence is a good idea and a removable stop as well.

Regards,

Peter.

Jon
8th September 2003, 01:57 PM
Most Usefull vs Must Have

I must have the wheels because I must wheel it out of the shed before I use it.

The height winder is nice,
and when Triton starts manufacturing the UBEAUT version of the dust extractor once the members have perfected the design.....

Jon

counstefan
8th September 2003, 11:41 PM
Hi there
I am new to the forum but not to Triton stuff. I have many of the accessories mentioned in the poll. I too think that the sliding extension table is the most usefull, but if you dont cut large sheets then the height adjuster gets my vote.

BTW Great forum

Countstefan

Stuart
9th September 2003, 11:17 AM
I find the retractable wheels ok, but sometimes need a hammer to get them to unlock. What I have done with my workcentre is drill axle holes in the 2 legs without the retractable wheels, and added some much larger lawnmower style wheels (that I remove once the workcentre is in position). This makes it much easier to get the workcentre around the property (very sandy soil, and no grass as yet- the workcentre just bogs down on the retractables)

My accessory of choice is the sliding extension table (maxi), with the height winder a very close second - wouldn't do without actually.

DPB showed me some plans from a website for a height winder adaption to the Triton Router that allows through-table heigh adjustment. Cost around $200, so not something I can afford, but it'd be cool if Triton picked up on it, and made it an upgrade for the router, and built into future ones.

Corunetes
15th September 2003, 04:17 PM
I have a compact saw table so the winder doesn't worry me at all but I have to say the the Mini extension table is without a doubt the best buy that I hve made with the exception of the Triton saw of course...............

Driver
15th September 2003, 09:37 PM
D'you reckon anyone at Triton has had a look at this? Seems to me that it's both valuable market research and also excellent promotional material. (I don't have the sliding extension table but I'm seriously thinking about it having seen both the results of this poll and comments in other posts on the Triton forum).

The next obvious move from Triton would be to produce a mini cyclone dust extractor. They need look no further for a design than the truly awesome work already produced by His Cycloneness Wayne Davey and the adaptation of the Triton bucket by Peter (Sturdee).

Perhaps you blokes at the Holmesglen Club could make the appropriate suggestion? (You're a lot closer to Triton's head office than we of the Sandgroper contingent).

Col

Stuart
16th September 2003, 10:58 AM
Certainly have been already! I agree that this board should be of definite interest to the boys at Orange HQ, and when there are points of interest (such as Filip's excellent ideas), I make a point of bringing it to their attention.

Here's hoping that a through-table height winder for the router, and cyclone mod to the dust bucket can be bought out in Triton Orange! (Not to mention the quick reference height card, router tray etc etc!)

Sandy Johnston
17th September 2003, 10:57 AM
As a partial ex-tritoneer, i would like to add my comments...

I didnt get a lot of use out of the bevel rip fence until I built a jig to slide along it - I found the miterguage too light to stay in the grooves.

I liked the wheels but why as an extra? bought 2 sets. could have done with a swivel set.

Height winder - v.nice

Sold the saw & router table after an accident (sob) but later bought a shopsmith - now if only triton made a lathe.!!

Still have and use the dust-collection system and two multistands.

Also bought triton sawguard (++++) , splitter and channel for to put on s.smith extra table. The power switch plate (++++) on the 2000 I have set up on my s.smith - running a safety bar along at knee height for lathe work.

Will buy the router and dust respirator. !!!

Triton got me into a most enjoyable hobby that is starting to bring in bucks,
I would not have bought a combination machine otherwise.

My only one gripe was having to set the fence at front and back - why - you cannot cut off-true so why have to true up fence each time you move it??
A triton/incra combination would be a good colour match and possibly a working combination worth trying.

Anyway Thanks for the memories Triton and keep up the range of entry level quality wood working machinery. I for one still check-out your range from time to time.

Regards
Sandy across the ditch.

Stuart
17th September 2003, 12:26 PM
The original poll timed out after the mandatory 7 days, but I have hopefully managed to extend it for a further 60. If this hasn't worked, please let me know!

bob.jager
17th September 2003, 06:35 PM
I was a bit peeved at first that I could only vote for one item, when I felt that the height winder kit and sliding extension were both of my favourites, even though I use the height winder kit every time I use the saw and the sliding extension rarely (but boy does it make life easy when you do need it).

But interestingly enough the current poll results for all items listed precisely reflect how I feel about them all (even down to the planer attachment receiving no votes - Why did I waste my money? - I only used it once and that was to try it after I installed it, and then realised that I could do practically the same using the router table).

Bob

Gumby
30th September 2003, 09:16 PM
Just bought myself a winder kit as a result of the replies here. Bloody fantastic accessory I reckon.

Stuart
2nd October 2003, 12:32 AM
Knew you'd like it!