PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Pilsner.

Bleedin Thumb
31st July 2007, 06:47 PM
This isn't a home brew question, I couldn't put it in the wine section (those blokes are so touchy).
I looked under "your other loves" and there was no "drinking beer" ........... I mean you must be bloody joking surely - I am in Australia still aren't I???

Anyway the bottle washers section will have to do.

I'm a pilsner drinker - sometimes during winter I can be tempted by a malty lager or a flavoursome pale ale though.

My choice of pilseners/pilsners are James Squire, Pilsner Urquell or Konig depending on what bottle-o I go to or how many pennies I have.

I have had a lot of problems with Urquell lately - someone I think imported a bad batch which had expiry dates of June, July and August 07, my local Coles (liquarland) continued to sell out of date beer for three weeks after I brought it to their attention. The actualy put it on special! They weren't the only culprits, I found 3 other bottle-o's selling out of date stock.

Even the stuff that is for sale now is August dated beware- read the label.

Anyway whilst shopping around to obtain the above mentioned drop I came across Weihenstaphaner Pilsner. A name that only the Germans could love but..... Is this the best pilsner in the world??

In my books... definately the best that has passed these dry, cracked, scaley, parched lips.. once again a bummer about the price and the fact that it only comes in 500ml bottles.

Any other fans out there?

Grunt
31st July 2007, 07:10 PM
I think the the James Squire Pilsner is the best beer made in Australia.

Don't mind the Pilsner Urquell or Konig but I think the JS is better.

When I was in Chicago my BIL took me to a micro brewery there and I had the best Pilsner I've ever had there. Just fantastic.

The other beer I just love is an India Pale Ale. They are hard to get tho. There is JS one but it's not the best I've had. A micro brewery in San Francisco did a damn fine one. Mountain Goat Brewery does a reasonable on too.

The U.S. make some of the worst beers in the world. However, there is a brazillion micro breweries there and some of them do some fantastic beer.

Grunt
31st July 2007, 07:11 PM
ooh, I'll have to try that Weihenstaphaner. Don't know how to pronounce it so I hope I can find it somewhere.

Bleedin Thumb
31st July 2007, 07:23 PM
Grunt I get it from BWS - don't know if they have em in Vic. It will give Mr Squire a run for their money.

I spent a bit of time travelling through England, Germany, Belgium, Holland, France etc, and tasted a lot of beer from small micro's.... purely scientific reasons though.:D

I think there are 600 breweries in Belguim alone so I have my mission in life set!

I was just reminising about one of my other favourite brews - Samual Smith pale ale from the UK but I dont think anyone imports it anymore:(

Edit : Yes I have to agree with JS pilsner being Australias best (commercial) beer but once again ...why are they charging so much for it!!! Matilda Bay used to make a Endeavour pilsner?? which was a corker but I haven't seen it for years, perhaps our WA brethren can tell us if its still made?

Glenn_M
31st July 2007, 07:38 PM
G'Day Blokes,
I have had the undeniable pleasure of traveling through the Chzek Republic in a constant state of inebriation due the wonderful Pils they have over there. Truly brilliant. Tried to get the same bottled beer over here but alas tastes crap.

On the local scene it would be James Squire

If we broaden the categoty to lagers in general I would have to count Munich or Vienna lagers as my all time favourites.

Prost!

Glenn

Bluegum
1st August 2007, 09:21 PM
Sadl here in Qld I haen't seen ay Resch's pilsner. The old silver bullet is a drop that I do miss. I did make a home brew version of it and it was't to bad a mix.

Gingermick
4th August 2007, 11:29 AM
Matilda bays Bohemian Pilsener is one of my faves, lovely and floral. I had another Czech beer last night. Quite similar to Urquell.
For a Malty lager I like Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Full on malty flavour. But the best lager in the world is Knappstein enterprise reserve lager. Has a huge citrus note. (South oz)
Now is a good time of year for ales tho. Sinha Stout is bloody fantastic.

Or some of these

Bleedin Thumb
4th August 2007, 01:54 PM
MMM have to agree with you regarding Samuel Adams very nice for a Sepo beer (YES I know that they have lots of micro breweries now)

This time of year I also have the odd Speckled Hen as a treat or a Duvel if I need a quick attitude/mood adjuster:wink:

Sorry not a fan of the Bohemian it tasts a little like Little devil or what ever that WA florally stuff is called. Yuk!

Gingermick
4th August 2007, 01:59 PM
a quick attitude/mood adjuster

Westmalle at 11% or bush at 12% are quick mood adjusters too!

You refering to little creatures pale ale? That is one of my favorites as well. I like really strong flavoured beer. (Like the trappist beers)

Greg Q
4th August 2007, 03:13 PM
we have tried some Victorian Crackenback (Crackenbach?) lately and were very impressed. Have to agree on the JS too.

We gave up on imported beers some time ago...my suspicion is the importers don't pay for refrigerated containers, so the beer we get here is all 'skunky' from over temperature conditions.

I can't recall too many specifics of my year living in Europe-I think the entire time was spent in some mild beer/wine/schnapps buzz. Pilsner Urquell and Czech Budweiser (the real, original one) were two of the bad influences, as I vaguely recall.

Greg

Gingermick
4th August 2007, 07:29 PM
, so the beer we get here is all 'skunky' from over temperature conditions.

Not just imported beer, the local bottle conditioned stuff suffer the same fate. I'm not sure how many times I've bought green Coopers. Occasionally I'll give in and drink it, if its not too far gone but I always wake with a sore gut.
It must sit on a pallet in the sun for a few months at the distributor. :?

craigb
4th August 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm partial to an Urquell or JS myself too (I actually prefer the Urquell to the JS but they're are both good).

At the moment my favorite is Trumer Pils.

I must say I haven't tried a Konig. I guess I will have to give it a burl.

Gingermick
4th August 2007, 09:34 PM
I really must encourage you all to try and find Knappstein reserve lager. It's not real cheap, about 15 bucks for a 4 pack,
budejovicky budvar is the other czeck one thats quite good.

Sebastiaan56
27th August 2007, 05:19 PM
Pilzner Urquel is the best, no doubt. Schoffenhoffer, 500ml bottle, german hop, superb, its sister brew Hellentauer is also great. A local brew called Barons, Saaz hop with just a touch of Northern Pacific.

Termite
27th August 2007, 07:15 PM
It's all PI$$. At least that's what I'm telling myself. A fate worse than death has befallen me, informed today by the Doc that my gut has developed an allergy to alchohol, crapping water for the last 6 months. Strictly no grog from now on. :~:~:~:~:~:~:~
Oh well, it's better news than what was expected.

Coffee
3rd November 2007, 10:03 PM
Pilsner Urquell is fantastic, recently tried a couple of Australian pils, the Knapstein and Moo Brew good for some variety, but only second best to Urquell.