PDA

View Full Version : Router, VoIP, wireless lan & a neighbour

Groggy
31st July 2007, 07:18 PM
I will shortly be having my MIL move next door (no comment). I am also due to upgrade my router and want to put her in the wireless network and LAN (I figure she'll save $30pm line lease and $27pm dial up ISP) - no problems so far, I can do all that.

Where the issue comes in is with the use of VoIP. I intend to get a Draytek 2800VG (http://www.draytek.com.au/products/Vigor2800V.php)which has two phone ports and the BIOS appears to allow two concurrent VoIP sessions (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MainFunction%28%27vphnlist.htm%27/*tpa=http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/V2X00.cgi?fid=2306*/%29).

Can anyone tell me:

a) is it possible to run two sessions (two calls) at once?
b) can the calls be through two separate service providers
c) will ADSL (not ADSL2) be sufficient to handle two calls at once?
d) what sort of bandwidth effect does VoIP have? ANS: a few thousand 1 minute calls is one gigabyte
e) anyone know where to get a cheap 2800VG? Best I can do is $299 so far.
f) if I run a line across to her place (8m) will the line losses be sufficient to cause bother?
g) will I need any other hardware (I don't think so but thought I'd ask)

Appreciate any guidance, this is new territory for me.

The following is a quick extract from the router blurb for reference.
Hardware Specification :
ADSL: 1-port, ADSL 2/2+ (RJ-11 connector)
LAN: 4-port 10/100 Base-TX Switch (RJ-45 connectors)
Phone: 2-port, FXS (RJ-11 connectors)
Printer: 1-port for USB
WLAN: IEEE802.11b/g [Vigor2800VG]
VoIP (Voice over IP) :
Protocol: SIP, RTP/RTCP
Supports twin FXS (phone) ports
Supports 6 x VSPs (VoIP services providers)
G.168 line echo-cancellation
Gain control
Jitter buffer (125 ms)
Voice Codec:
G.711 A/µ law
G.726
G.723.1
G.729 A/B
VAD/CNG
Tone generation and detection: DTMF, Dial, Busy, Ring back
Hotline
T.38 FAX
Personal PBX functions:
Do Not Disturb
Call Forward
Call Waiting
Call Transfer

Wood Butcher
31st July 2007, 07:38 PM
I had a quick look at the website and I get the impression that you can run two sperate lines as each of the phone ports can be configured independantly. And since you can setup 6 different voip providers within the modem I presume that you can have seperate accounts.

As for the rest I don't know, sorry.

Groggy
31st July 2007, 07:44 PM
I had a quick look at the website and I get the impression that you can run two sperate lines as each of the phone ports can be configured independantly. And since you can setup 6 different voip providers within the modem I presume that you can have seperate accounts.

As for the rest I don't know, sorry.Thanks WB, maybe someone else knows something (nudge -> Cliff?)

LeftyJim
31st July 2007, 08:26 PM
One thing to keep in mind, is what you intend to use your ADSL connection for.

If you intend to run high bandwidth applications like bittorrent clients or video streaming i.e youtube you may find that the quality of phonecalls degrades significantly.
This is an issue if it affects your MIL's calls - you will hear no end of complaints.

There are ways to deal with this - QOS capable routers and equipment. Some work better than others.

You probably already know about Whirlpool and the VOIP forum.
You may wish to check there to get advice and read about real world experience with particular routers.

Groggy
31st July 2007, 08:30 PM
One thing to keep in mind, is what you intend to use your ADSL connection for.

If you intend to run high bandwidth applications like bittorrent clients or video streaming i.e youtube you may find that the quality of phonecalls degrades significantly.
This is an issue if it affects your MIL's calls - you will hear no end of complaints.

There are ways to deal with this - QOS capable routers and equipment. Some work better than others.

You probably already know about Whirlpool and the VOIP forum.
You may wish to check there to get advice and read about real world experience with particular routers.Thanks Jim, the 2800VG has a very good QOS capability, in fact it is also in my current router, the 2600G.

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2007, 09:34 AM
I haven't had much to do with Voip other than Skype.

I'll have a shot at a couple of the answers.

a) is it possible to run two sessions (two calls) at once?

I can't see why not, I can have multiple secure sessions running on the web, for instance, be logged into 2 different banks at once.

b) can the calls be through two separate service providers

Same as above.

c) will ADSL (not ADSL2) be sufficient to handle two calls at once?

Just a guess, maybe not 256/64, ISDN uses 64K/channel for voice so 2 channels would be 128K, you may have to go to 512/128

d) what sort of bandwidth effect does VoIP have? ANS: a few thousand 1 minute calls is one gigabyte

I didn't know that one.

Nope.

f) if I run a line across to her place (8m) will the line losses be sufficient to cause bother?

You should be able to go to 85M without loss. Might be worth investing in a couple of lightning arresters for each end though.

g) will I need any other hardware (I don't think so but thought I'd ask)

Handsets?

My question, to add to this list, is how does she get a phone number for incoming calls or is she limited to just other Voip subscribers?
(This may be provided by the Voip service provider, I don't know)

woodbe
1st August 2007, 10:20 AM

We've run over 20m without any problems.

Not trying to put you off, but just so you know. Once you put cable across property boundaries you might technically become an unlicensed telecommunications carrier or something like that, and as you might expect, the fines are somewhat greater than the savings you speak of.

Our beloved Telstra is a very well protected monopoly.

If it were me, I'd be doing it with just wireless...

woodbe.

Wood Butcher
1st August 2007, 10:50 AM
My question, to add to this list, is how does she get a phone number for incoming calls or is she limited to just other Voip subscribers?
(This may be provided by the Voip service provider, I don't know)

The Voip provider gives you a phone number that anyone from any number can call. I had one when I had a voip system running, which other people on engin could call for free.

Groggy
1st August 2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

I found out a bit more and went ahead with the router buy last night. Summary below.

a) is it possible to run two sessions (two calls) at once? Yes
b) can the calls be through two separate service providers Yes
c) will ADSL (not ADSL2) be sufficient to handle two calls at once? Yes
f) if I run a line across to her place (8m) will the line losses be sufficient to cause bother? No
g) will I need any other hardware (I don't think so but thought I'd ask) - No (already have the handsets)

Thanks again.