PDA

View Full Version : Incra Template Library

wrightw
1st August 2007, 10:14 AM
I have the Rockler version of the original Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig. I just got the Incra Master Reference Guide and Template Library. Does one simply cut of the template on each side so that it fits and centres the same or is there a special way all of this must be done?

Thanks,

Bill

Big Shed
1st August 2007, 10:37 AM
I have the Rockler version of the original Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig. I just got the Incra Master Reference Guide and Template Library. Does one simply cut of the template on each side so that it fits and centres the same or is there a special way all of this must be done?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, the Incra Master Reference Guide and Template Library consists of a book showing full size dovetail/finger joints patterns and 51 plastic template guides (strips marked in blue and red) that slide in to the Incra Jig. By the sound of it you have the book but not the plastic template guides?
See the Incra (http://incra.biz/Products/MasterReferenceGuide.html) website.

wrightw
2nd August 2007, 03:01 AM
I do have the templates and the book. The issue is that the templates are 16", much larger than what I need for my jig. I do not know if I can simply slide them in and let the excess hang out or if I need, as I suspect, to cut them. If I do need to cut them, I do not know if I have to center them or cut from a specific end.

Big Shed
2nd August 2007, 09:06 AM
As most of the templates set the spacing between dovetails or finger joints, the measurements are not absolute from the beginning of the template. Therefore either method would be OK, but I would just cut the bit hanging out of your jig off.

Which Incra jig do you have and how long is it?

I have the Incra LS 17" System and the templates that came with that are also 16" long.

wrightw
3rd August 2007, 10:51 PM
I have the Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11494&filter=incra%20jig
It is shorter than the standard and is a remake of the original.
Thanks for your help.

Gwhat
4th August 2007, 08:32 PM
The Incra 'Original' Universal Positioner only has enough space for 210mm (8 1/4") of template length. In the interest of leaving an upgarde path, I'd thy to leave the templates in their original length, that way as soon as you've caught the Incra bug, you will be looking at somthing bigger and better.

I hope that this helps,

Regards

The Woodworker

wrightw
5th August 2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks, makes logical sense. Does sound scary about the upgrade bug though..:)