PDA

View Full Version : Can I DIY an elevated verandah?

-mick-
1st August 2007, 11:58 AM
Maybe a stupid question and I had a bit of a search to no avail, but is there anything stopping me from considering a DIY effort on an elevated deck? I'm talking about a 6x6 m extension of an existing little deck/ landing at second storey height (2.2m)

I would be going through the appropriate local approvals of course and it would be a very simple rectangular type of design. I'd adjust the dimensions to suit the spanning abilities of whatever material I chose.

Are there any regs that say I cannot. Is a builders license required over a certain height off the surface? I would need to get OB certification of course. A rear deck would be ideal but too expensive to contract the whole job (not that I can't afford it but given the kind/ age/ location of the house and the desired size I would be spending a good sum I would never recoup in resale)

Any advice is well appreciated

silentC
1st August 2007, 12:05 PM
You can do it yourself but yes, you will require an owner builder permit and you might need engineer's details for the structural parts if they're not straight forward. The supports will need to be designed in accordance with the BCA.

The only regs I know of regarding working at that height relate to use of scaffolding etc.

Alastair
1st August 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Silent,

Knowing your affection for this subject, I thought of you when I received a newsletter, as a service from the bloke who looked after my workcover claim. This mentions changes to legislation for owner/builders, and might be of interest, if changes are significant. As the pdf is 1MB, , and I can't convert, due to restrictions on my work comp, I will email copy to you if you wish.

regards