PDA

View Full Version : The mystery timber!

BANNED
1st August 2007, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for my disappearance, these last couple of weeks. I do read and follow the threads regularly, but I felt "unable/uninspired" to write anything!

A few things have happen since, most good, toping them all, my day at the Adelaide WoodShow last Saturday, was a winner. I will explain and reveal the events of that day, very soon.

The reason of this thread, is a continuation to my attempts to identify this wood that I mention a few weeks back. This time I've got the pics and also the finished product (small bowel), that I roughly cut green, sealed with Fungishield from Feast Watson products, finely re-chuck and
finish after 8 weeks on the shelf.

I don't have any leaves or any other part of the tree, apart from the logs, these were 2 only trees (very rough looking trees), growing on that spot, and I've seen any more anywhere around here. This trees and many others, where on private property, in a town of SA, called Mount Compass.
I was offer the timber, in exchange for trimming, cutting and cleaning. All trees to be removed were marked with fluorescent construction tape, around the trunk.

OK, so we got the location, a log split in the middle, log with bark dry and wet (thurps), end log dry and wet, and a polished turned peace.
What you reckon guys?, can someone identify this tree species?

Everyone around here was asked about it, they had no clue...! so I gave it a name "Noideatree", now everyone around knows what a noideatree is.

What do you reckon???????

Cheers
GV

BANNED
1st August 2007, 05:11 PM
Oops, what happen to my pics before?
Try again.
Cheers
GV

BANNED
1st August 2007, 05:17 PM
Sure, we can only add 5 attachements at one time, huh? bugger!!!!!
There is the rest;
Cheers
GV

rsser
1st August 2007, 05:18 PM
Dunno, maybe a member of the mulberry family?

Put the query up on the Timber sub-forum ... lots of tree-wise blokes there.

DJ’s Timber
1st August 2007, 06:28 PM
Looks like it's a wattle, as to which one :shrug: maybe Black Wattle

echnidna
1st August 2007, 07:01 PM
barks not black wattle

reeves
1st August 2007, 08:01 PM
Definatley an acacia by the looks of yr bowl, i'd guess the acacia mearnsi (black wattle) but there is lots of variants and the BW can look a little different from place to place..ie: i have both Qld and NSW blackwattle peices and the grain is brighter in the NSW version, also the bark can look a bit different depending on whether its an older or younger tree and which variant of wattle it is.

echnidna
1st August 2007, 08:03 PM
the barks not a.mearnsi

reeves
1st August 2007, 08:48 PM
looks like Echidnas got an echo, the a.aulacocarpa is a possibility, BTW the bark looks just like the BW i got from NSW

the various BW variants can be

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
</td> <td> Black Wattle (http://www.woodcentre.com.au/species/detail.asp?id=135)
Acacia aulacocarpa Allied/Alternate Species: Acacia auriculiformis, decurrens, hakeoides, mabellae, mearnsii, mollissima, plectocarpa
Also known as: Brown Salwood, Brush Ironbark Wattle, Brush Ironwood, Grey Wattle, Hickory Wattle</td></tr></tbody></table>
also a. Acacia auriculiformis, is a possiblilty and is the Hakea wattle, just gotta match the bark i guess...

more here

http://www.woodcentre.com.au/species/default.asp?CommonName=black+wattle&Genus=&Species=&Uses=&Submit=Search

hoot hoot

dai sensei
1st August 2007, 09:12 PM
Agree the bark doesn't look like Black Wattle. What about River Oak<TABLE style=" 161pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=214 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style=" 161pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7826" width=214><TBODY><TR style=" 15.75pt" height=21><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER- #d4d0c8; BORDER- #d4d0c8; 161pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; 15.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=214 height=21 x:str="Casuarina cunninghamiana ">Casuarina cunninghamiana ?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

weisyboy
1st August 2007, 09:18 PM
how hard is it?

it could be ironbark

i would say wattle.

Cliff Rogers
1st August 2007, 10:58 PM
Looks like an Acacia to me too.

Big Shed
1st August 2007, 11:10 PM
The bark doesn't look like the ironbark we get around here.

Having said that, I have a piece of ironbark here that has the same contrast in the timber colour.

reeves
2nd August 2007, 12:36 AM
it looks nothing like river oak, light sapwood, dark heartwood and pale oak flecks all through it, his wood looks like an acacia,a black wattle variant of some kind, one of 8 or more similar species, probably just one native to the region..

TTIT
2nd August 2007, 12:38 AM
Black wattle here is acacia cunninghamii. Doubt if it would grow down there but the bark looks similar. :shrug:

Little Festo
2nd August 2007, 12:53 AM
Looks a lot like black wattle to me too.

Peter

BANNED
2nd August 2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks guys, looks like this one is going to be hard to crack.

I thought about some extra info, that I recall from the day I cut them. The leaves were long(ish) and dark, branches were low and springy, the tree appearance, as if a grass fire had been trough (which didn't happen), but had that blackish colour when exposed to fire. The trunk diameter was about 10" on one, the other was the same size up to 3 feet from the ground, where it divided in two, making a fork a similar size timber at approx 6". The trees didn't grow big, about 10 meter high and with a light canopy (not bushy). Those tree where about 20 years old, according to the owner, same as the Melaleuca I cut.
This timber is very heavy, and if sealed while green, a green ting comes trough, makes it very unattractive. It turns OK green, but the dust is very irritating to the throat, and the smell is a bit nasty!
Very difficult to work when very dry, but leaves a very smooth finished at 400 grid sand paper.

Well, I thing that's pretty much everything I notice and remember. Looks like the name I gave it "Noideatree", is going to stay for a little while, huh?

The all thing was going for firewood, glad that I put it a side, and give it a go on the lathe. Is at least half cubic meter of wood for "moi" to play with, huh? not bad...!!!

Sorry guys, for the trouble, I really would like to find out what it is.

Maybe this extra info helps, hope!
Cheers
GV

DJ’s Timber
2nd August 2007, 11:05 AM
From your description, it sound like it could be a hakea (Acacia hakeoides) which grows from SA thru VIC to NSW.

Have no idea on what the timber looks like and my little book only gives a desription of the tree not the timber

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 02:10 PM
G'day GV AND DJ

Acacia hakeoides seems to grow to about 3 metres, but have attached some pics, may jog memory

Cheers
Bernie

BANNED
4th August 2007, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in luck, I have found some brothers/sisters, of my mystery timber. I have been wondering how those 2 trees got to grow in that spot, together with some wild Melaleuca. Indeed the only trees planted by the owner 25 years ago, where red gums, and they were planted along 2 fences (corner paddock) on his 40 acres block, as wind breakers. The other 2 trees where Ananias the wild Melaleuca, plenty of scrubs and under the over growth of the now, huge gums. Everything grow free in that corner, like an impenetrable jungle. The place as become a fire hazard, reason why I was asked to clean everything, apart from the gums, that require some Long due trimming.
If I would measure the length of the fence where the gums where planted, it would be approx. 1000 meters one way, and 300 meters the other way from the corner fence. I was only asked to clean the 300 meters one. This indeed, made me think about my original question, how they got here?. The other 1000 meters, will be clean some time next year, but I decide to ask permission to the owner, to go and have a look trough that jungle, looking for possible germination of trees of the some species. I manage to make my way trough, and after 3 hours of searching, I come to an area where I found at least 3 trees of the same species and possible age, of the other 2 I cut before. Interestingly, these trees are growing not far from the boundary fence, and in a area not to scrubby, it would be easier to see them from the other (wrong) side of the fence, clearly!.
I had the camera with me, but the battery was unexpectedly dead, so I marked the spot on my GPS (maybe didn't need it), so that I come back, for some photos of the mystery trees.
I only found them, this morning, so I will be back in the next few days, for sure!
The owner is also very curious about this not-planted trees, so their species name is a must...!, he was also intrigued, to why I was so interested in these small trees. It only took me to turn a nice bowel out of the last lot, and give it to him, as a gift, for him to get his answer...! huh? it worked.

In the mean time, gentleman and ladies, start sharping that Australian tree knowledge, because I'm coming with more evidence, very soon, right?

Cheers
GV

BANNED
6th August 2007, 04:17 AM
Right folks, I got 25 pics of those mystery trees. I after this, we can't tell with 85&#37; certanty what it is, that's it, I will "officially" name it as the "noideatree" from the Adelaide Hills region.

Lets see if this is going to work, in lots of 5 pictures each time, (limite).

Cheers
GV

BANNED
6th August 2007, 04:21 AM
Another lot of 5 pics

BANNED
6th August 2007, 04:26 AM
Another 5 pics.

BANNED
6th August 2007, 04:32 AM
I hope you guys like pics, this is not over yet!

BANNED
6th August 2007, 04:39 AM
Is this going to be enough to identify the "mangrol" tree?

reeves
6th August 2007, 08:47 AM
ok great pics Nyodine, i am 100&#37; its a wattle variant of some kind, the leaves and yellow flowers give it away. So its an acacia for sure. There area apparently hundreds of species of wattle in Australia so it's time to check the available books on such things. Up here it would just be called a black wattle. As per the list down the thread somewhere, there area 7-8 different species in terms of their latin names that come under the 'black' wattle banner, my guess would be the aulocarpa or the hakea wattle.

As to which one your best bet would be to grab a book from the library on native trees of yr area or 'assume' it was planted from seed or cuttings and may not be native to yr area or check the DPI books and match it exactly.

maybe contact the wood collectors society via their website and see if there is a member near you and match it with something form their sample collection.

TTIT
6th August 2007, 08:59 AM
Obviously an acacia but to identify the actual species, try sending the leaf/flower sample you've got to your herbarium (http://www.anbg.gov.au/chah/resources/herbaria/ad.html). I don't know how your herbarium works, but ours will ID plants from samples like that no worries (or cost!) :U

DJ’s Timber
6th August 2007, 09:23 AM
Going by those leaves, pods and flowers, it's not a Hakea or Black Wattle.

My book hasn't got anything on that one, mine is limited to Victoria and adjoining areas.

As TTIT says, try your local herbarium.

BANNED
6th August 2007, 05:03 PM
Hi all,
:C I really thought that hasn't a single timber species, that you guys couldn't identify and name. I've witness the enormity of knowledge and experience among the group of people in this forum, reason why I'm surprised and disappointed...!
Now, you folks, don't start to call me names, because I'm joking, right? hahahahahahahahahahahah:D

I understand how difficult can be identifying tree species with the amount of variants and conditions in this Country, by people born is Australia. That maybe explains why I'm having such a hard time with some of them, I've only been in Australia for 20 years.

I'm not going to give up on you folks, someone will have the answer. My contribution was to bring the subject to the table, provide as much info and evidence as I can, (I believe I done that), and make some brains fly high, until the correct answer is found.

I was happy to call it a BW, as reeves and others suggested, but now I got djstimber, sounding very confident that is not, so I'm getting more intrigued as we go.

If all this wasn't enough, I've got another "mystery tree" from the same area, coming next, I know that is from the gum family, each one???? yeah, precisely!. Is all ready to go, but I think is better to sort the first one, first, huh?

So for, now my friends, back to the shed, playing with the new "toy".:2tsup:
Cheers
GV

rsser
6th August 2007, 05:26 PM
This is prob not a helpful addition to your conundrum, but many 'gums' readily hybridize in the wild, making id difficult.

Presumably that in part accounts for attempts to find new genus or species names.

Maybe acacias also have tarty bees around ;-}

reeves
6th August 2007, 07:22 PM
GV, i dunno if yr disspaointment is real at all, i doubt it but the tree is obviously an acacia as noted way early in the thread and by yr leave and flower picks its obviously a wattle.

beyond that as to exactly which wattle, well its hard to tell from pics of timber, i often end up putting 2 samples side by side, one a known and confirmed sample and just have a really good look at the grain, sometimes a small magnifying glass helps.

It should be fairly easy to identify from the flowers and lots of wattles, silver wattle, black wattle, sally wattle etc have very similiar flowers.

I cannot be held responsible for the indecisivness of my comrades ( just jokin boys ;-) but i can happily confirm that as far as trying to ID wood from web pics, the acacia/wattle is 100&#37; sure, just gotta sus out which wattle mate ;-) i notice DJStimber for all his wisdom and undoubted knowledge of wood, wa shappy to offer what it wast but didnt offer what he thought it might be.

Beyond that either check with the botanical gardens at TiTT suggested or send a sample to Jugo Illic to ID under his microscope which is the only surefire way of professionaly IDing wood.But as the wattles are so common and the grain so similar to generic black wattle I think this one is a bit of a no brainer, its just a variant. I have observed some confusion creeping into these proceedings when it starts out trying to ID wood but then deviates into IDing leaves, bark and flowwers etc, which are all good ways to ID trees but it just gives you more possibilities to choose from.

What Ern said is also true, you get variants and some of those pics have rough bark trunks with smooth bark limbs shooting out of them, good be an indicator of some kind. Still its a good tree and nice turning wood so if i were you i would just call it a wattle until u can confirm exactly which one, which in my opinion would one of the subspecies listed form the woodcentre link below.

Its not always easy to ID a specific sample once u have got genus and family sussed, i have an acacia sample i still haveent Ided exactly but i think you should be happy iwth the acacia/wattle ID and then try and find out locally exactly which wattle it is..

BernieP
6th August 2007, 08:44 PM
G'Day GV

Can you tell me is the wattle (cause that's what it is) in flower now? In other words is it a winter flowering one/ And what sort of soil is it growing in stony, granite etc. The only thing that throws me is that seed pod, do you know if it is a flat pod curled up?
Feel its a boomerang wattle but that pod sort of negates this!

Anyway I'll keep at it but need to know about that pod:?

Cheers
Bernie

TTIT
6th August 2007, 11:28 PM
This is prob not a helpful addition to your conundrum, but many 'gums' readily hybridize in the wild, making id difficult .....................Maybe acacias also have tarty bees around ;-}As do the acacias Ern - there is an area near Charters Towers where Gidgee and Lancewood have apparently been doin' the wild thing!:o

........... i often end up putting 2 samples side by side, one a known and confirmed sample and just have a really good look at the grain, sometimes a small magnifying glass helps............Tried this recently with Myall and one I can't pick. Timber colour, grain , sapwood, bark and even the way the trees oozed resin when cut are all identical - yet the flowers and leaves are entirely different. Sample going to herbarium in next batch.:U

................ I've only been in Australia for 20 years........
I've been driving past stands of Lancewood almost daily for over 13 years and only just last week discovered that they're not all Lancewood! :B Lancewood, Yarran and Bendee all look the same at 100kph. I once sent a series of excellent photos to the herbarium thinking they would be able to identify a tree for me from the pics - no way - needed a sample to be sure. My point is, so many of our tree species are so similar that you just have to call in the REAL experts some times. Working with wood doesn't necessarily make us all botanists :shrug:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2007, 11:33 PM
Does it really matter? If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :D

TTIT
6th August 2007, 11:42 PM
Does it really matter? If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... :DDead right Skew - for turning out wooden items at least. I follow them up to the nth degree for my website 'cos I simply don't want to give anyone a bum steer. Wikipedia does enough of that without me doing the same!!!:;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th August 2007, 11:49 PM
Point taken.

I've used your site for reference a few times and I'd probably be one of the first to start jumping up'n'down in frustration if I thought you got it wrong... :-

BANNED
7th August 2007, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone,

Of course, I'm not disappointed guys, I know very well, how difficult can be identifying timber species, I've been there, done that. I was (still am), intrigued that no one locally or else, could name the tree species, I've been in the area/and or State only since last year, so I have to ask.

I don't really care, not knowing all the timber species names, indeed this became more a necessity, since I start turning, for reasons everyone is familiar with. This said, is always room for learning knew things, and it became obvious to bring the question to this forum, just as a point of interest.

Could someone identify this timber species, without going thought sending samples away to Botanists? and provide a name for this timber I've found?. When I realise that no one seam to recognise it, it became more a necessity of mine to share with everyone the maximum detail I could provide of such unknown timber. To me, was more a case of trying to learn something by sharing. I'm pleased that I manage to share the info, the pics, etc. As far as I see it, all of this is my contribution to the knowledge expansion of the forum members. I will do it all again!

Some questions have an easy answer, some don't, either way it's all good.
Anyway, I'm OK with the wattle option, it will do me...! or maybe for some, the MC Wattle (M. Compass Wattle) will suity better. I will also make sure that all of it will be put into good use, as I don't know if I ever go the see it again in the future.

So, thanks guys, your help/opinions were appreciated. Thank you all.

I've got only one more peace of information for BernieP, and that has to do with his question "The only thing that throws me is that seed pod, do you know if it is a flat pod curled up?"
Sorry BernieP, but those pods were formed round/conical, sort of. I had a good look under some magnifying lens, and they are not the curled ones. One thing I notice in every pod, was 2 small holes edged out like the dragon eyes. I'm sorry if the pics are not that detailed, but everything closer did fail, with the light condition available to me just an hour ago or so.

Cheers
GV

John Elliott
7th August 2007, 09:24 AM
Nyodine,
Agree with everyone it is wattle. The problem there is that you have chosen Australia's largest genus at around 1200 species.
I don't think the "pods" are seeds but rather galls. Look on the ground for last years seed pods.
After that, the best way of identifying it yourself is to be found here:

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/

John Elliott.

reeves
7th August 2007, 11:50 AM

John Elliott.

hey excellent link thanks for that..
the overal list of acacias in SA is here

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/specieslists/sa.php?continent=Australia&region=S.A.&sect=y

if you take the species link, then hit the wattle link it gives you a full readout with pics of pods, leaves etc..

so it should be possible to exactly ID yr tree from that list GV, just gotta look through em all mate...

check this one out

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/images/hexaneura.jpg

yrs will definatly be there somewhere

probably safe to eliminate this one..
http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/images/mearnsii.jpg

or this one

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/images/verniciflua_&#37;28typical_variant%29.jpg

not this one

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/images/melanoxylon_AD.jpg

maybe this one..i always though it looked like a kahea wattle?

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/images/hakeoides.jpg

jeez theres a lot of em..

cheeeers
john

reeves
7th August 2007, 12:08 PM
Australian species list: South Australia

<!-- #EndEditable --> <!-- #BeginEditable "content" --> <!-- #BeginLibraryItem "/Library/php-functions.lbi" --> <!-- #EndLibraryItem --><!-- #BeginLibraryItem "/Library/project-species-list.lbi" -->
Number of taxa: 160
Acacia acanthoclada (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3195)
subsp. acanthoclada (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=16159)
Acacia acinacea (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23540)
Acacia adsurgens (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3205) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia alcockii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23543) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia ammobia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23547) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia anceps (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3213) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia anceps (Winged variant) [Phrase name: sp. Winged (C.R.Alcock 4936)] (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=29263) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia anceps (winged) x nematophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23940) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia ancistrophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3215) (section Plurinerves)
var. lissophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=14585) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia aneura (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3217) (section Juliflorae)
var. aneura (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=12957) (section Juliflorae)
var. conifera (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=12955) (section Juliflorae)
var. intermedia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=15679) (section Juliflorae)
var. macrocarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=12956) (section Juliflorae)
var. major (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19840) (section Juliflorae)
var. microcarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19482) (section Juliflorae)
var. tenuis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19481) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia araneosa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23554) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia argyrophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20552) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia ayersiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3232) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia baileyana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=18285) (section Botrycephalae)
Acacia barattensis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23564) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia basedowii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3234) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia beckleri (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23568) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia brachybotrya (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20558) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia brachybotrya (Wirrabara variant) (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20559) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia brachybotyra (appressed hair variant) (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23942) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia brachystachya (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3246) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia burkittii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3248) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia calamifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23588) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia calcicola (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3250) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia cambagei (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23592) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia carneorum (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23595) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia clelandii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19504) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia colletioides (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3264) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia confluens (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20566) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia continua (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20567) (section Alatae)
Acacia coriacea (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3270) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia cretacea (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23617) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia cupularis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=12672) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia cyclops (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3282) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia cyperophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3283) (section Juliflorae)
var. cyperophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=14088) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia dealbata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=17858) (section Botrycephalae)
subsp. dealbata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19920) (section Botrycephalae)
Acacia decurrens (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=16975) (section Botrycephalae)
Acacia dictyophleba (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3300) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia dodonaeifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23633) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia dodonaeifolia x paradoxa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23938) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia elachantha (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=16174) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia enterocarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23639) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia erinacea (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3324) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia estrophiolata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3327) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia euthycarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23954) (section Phyllodineae)
subsp. euthycarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23946) (section Phyllodineae)
subsp. oblanceolata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23953) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia farinosa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23646) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia farnesiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3333)
var. farnesiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=-615)

reeves
7th August 2007, 12:09 PM
Acacia fimbriata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20572) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia floribunda (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=18286) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia genistifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20573) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia georginae (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23659) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia gilesiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3348) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia gillii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23660) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia glandulicarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23662) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia gracilifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23667) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia grasbyi (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3355) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia grayana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23670) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia gunnii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20576) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia hakeoides (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3359) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia halliana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23672) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia havilandiorum (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23675) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia helmsiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3364) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia hemiteles (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3366) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia hexaneura (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23677) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia howittii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23681) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia imbricata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23684) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia inaequilatera (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3377) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia iteaphylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=18217) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia jennerae (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3393) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia kempeana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3399) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia latzii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23706) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia leiophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23712) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia ligulata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3419) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia lineata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23720) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia linophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3423) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia loderi (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23722) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia longifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=17861) (section Juliflorae)
subsp. longifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=17464) (section Juliflorae)
subsp. sophorae (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=18597) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia maitlandii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3434) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia mearnsii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=17958) (section Botrycephalae)
Acacia melanoxylon (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=10955) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia melleodora (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19305) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia menzelii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23738) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia merrallii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3440) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia microcarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23739) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia minyura (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=12952) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia mitchellii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23743) (section Botrycephalae)
Acacia montana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23745) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia murrayana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3452) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia mutabilis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=17915) (section Phyllodineae)
subsp. angustifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=16133) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia myrtifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3453) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia nematophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23753) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia nilotica subsp. indica
(http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23755)
Acacia notabilis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23756) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia nyssophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3463) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia olgana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3467) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia oswaldii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3473) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia oxycedrus (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20584) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia oxycedrus x sophorae (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23947) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia pachyacra (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3475) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia papyrocarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3481) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia papyrocarpa (pungent phyllode variant) [Phrase name: sp. Blyth Range (W.V. Fitzgerald s.n. 1898)] (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20342) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia paradoxa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3482) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia paraneura (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=15724) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia pendula (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20586) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia pickardii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23776) (section Phyllodineae)

reeves
7th August 2007, 12:11 PM
Acacia pinguifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23778) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia podalyriifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=17860) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia praemorsa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23786) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia prainii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3495) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia pravifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=16141) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia provincialis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=30593) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia pruinocarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3500) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia pulchella var. glaberrima (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=15481) (section Pulchellae)
Acacia pycnantha (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3504) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia quornensis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23801) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia ramulosa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3510) (section Juliflorae)
var. linophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19483) (section Juliflorae)
var. ramulosa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=19499)
Acacia retinodes (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23900) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia rhetinocarpa (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23806) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia rhigiophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23807) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia rhodophloia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3519) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia rigens (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3522) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia rivalis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23811) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia rupicola (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23814) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia salicina (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23817) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia saligna (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3527) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia sclerophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3533) (section Plurinerves)
var. sclerophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=11838) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia sericophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=29135) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia sibirica (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=8949) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia simmonsiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23937) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia sp. Kulgera (P.K.Latz 12460) (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=-657) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia spilleriana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23833) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia spinescens (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23834) (section Alatae)
Acacia spooneri (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23949) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia stenophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3556) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia stricta (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23838) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia strongylophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3563) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia suaveolens (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20591) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia symonii (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3570) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia tarculensis (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23844) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia tenuior (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23846) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia tenuissima (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3573) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia tetragonophylla (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3577) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia trineura (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23854) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia triquetra (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23856) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia uncifolia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=30626) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia validinervia (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3592) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia verniciflua (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23860) (section Phyllodineae)
var. verniciflua (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=29212) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia verticillata (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23901) (section Juliflorae)
subsp. ovoidea (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23862) (section Juliflorae)
Acacia victoriae (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=3595) (section Phyllodineae)
subsp. arida (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23865) (section Phyllodineae)
subsp. victoriae (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=-623)
Acacia wattsiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=20534) (section Phyllodineae)
Acacia whibleyana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23868) (section Plurinerves)
Acacia wilhelmiana (http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/species-intro.php?id=23871) (section Plurinerves)

BernieP
7th August 2007, 01:09 PM
G'Day Reeves

Here's a pic of Hakeoides

Cheers
Bernie

rsser
7th August 2007, 01:21 PM
Nyodine,
Agree with everyone it is wattle. The problem there is that you have chosen Australia's largest genus at around 1200 species.
I don't think the "pods" are seeds but rather galls. Look on the ground for last years seed pods.
After that, the best way of identifying it yourself is to be found here:

John Elliott.

That's a terrific resource ... thanks.

Anything like it for Euc's?

reeves
7th August 2007, 01:38 PM
Anything like it for Euc's?

Ern, try this link to the plantnet site

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&showsyn=&dist=&constat=&gen=Eucalyptus

its NSW only and has some species missing data but it seems pretty informative on euc's

rsser
7th August 2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks John. Good site.

BANNED
7th August 2007, 09:39 PM
Hi everyone,
Thanks again for all the links and info, I had no idea that I was opening such a big can of worms! I'm satisfied with the wattle name.
Thanks also reeves, for all the information you provided, looks like you jumped deep into the subject, looking for info, most appreciated. :clap3:

Cheers
GV

John Elliott
8th August 2007, 06:37 PM
rsser,
I believe this is what you want
Indispensable but you might have to buy it.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/index.html

John Elliott.

rsser
8th August 2007, 07:08 PM
Ah, thanks John.

Nice to see you dressed well while turning.

BANNED
9th August 2007, 03:18 AM
Hi everyone,
John, thanks for that link, something that I wouldn't mind to have a look at, but not pay $120 for. I knew that Australia had lots of eucalyptus species, I didn't thing that were that many, nearly 900 ???? wow!

A few days ago I mention that I had turn a peace of local eucalyptus species into a vase, and that I wouldn't mind to know what it is. I know there are many other places where I could ask or even spend days trying to match what I got with a registered species, or go as far as send it to a Botanist. I don't want to go that far, that would me just to messing about.

I also mention that I had my stuff all ready (pics, samples, etc.,) to bring to this forum, for some friendly discussion and possible identification of this local eucalyptus species. This time, and so that no one feels that I would be disappointed if no one have the answer, I will make my introduction as follows;

Approx. 2 months I cut a small(ish) eucalyptus tree in the local area, and I decide to turn a peace a it rough to a cylinder shape, seal it and put it away for 7 weeks to dry. I notice when I was cutting the logs with a chainsaw, the colours were different from most of gums I've seen and worked with. Last week I finish that peace into a vase, finished with clear natural timber oil, and again I found it beautiful in colouration and grains.

No, my friends the question is very simple. If looking at the information I will provide next, you thing that you know what it is, or know of someone that can give us a hand with it, I would be tankful. I have never seen it before, but maybe some of you have. Don't panic, if you have no clue, its OK, I'm not going to stop working with it, if I can't get the name of it, no drama, at the moment I named it, the MC gum!
Lets have a look:

BANNED
9th August 2007, 03:33 AM
I lost my pics on the previous thread, :doh:

BANNED
9th August 2007, 03:42 AM
Here they are.
Have fun.
PS: The last pic is dedicated to all wood turners, that like to "swim" is wood shavings, hahahahahahaah:2tsup:
Cheers
GV

reeves
9th August 2007, 08:52 AM
yeah that Euc vase doe shave nice grain, good to see you are taking to the local timbers with gusto GV....

i have consulted my sample collection of Euc's and nothing looks like it really, maybe sugargum or maybe rosegum..something along those lines..although the vase itself looks a little like well grained yellow stringybark, the tree doesnt...

sometimes i find it useful to just cut a standard size sample (6x3x1/2 inches) to observe and compare in terms of species ID..
here some examples of my euc samples side by side, make sit easy to spot the differences

and a pic of some slash pine with finished and unfinished side by side..make s it easier to see and ID

BANNED
9th August 2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks reeves,
I think you got a very good system to produce and keep timber samples, and why not, I will consider to start my collection in a similar way!
The main reason why I'm trying all the local timbers, as I can find, is because I can afford to buy the good stuff. Nevertheless, I manage so far, to produce some very nice natural grains /colours peaces form the local timbers. I'm certain that I will find a few more, mainly since people start to know that I cut and clean the place, in exchange for the wood of any kind. I use plenty of firewood, so nothing goes to waste, thanks to the strong arms of my lovely wife, who does most of the lifting, and heavy stuff.
I always take my time to get the timber down, (use the head/experience not my back). So far, this combination worked OK, shame that I'm finder harder to hold on to the chainsaw.
Of all the local timbers, so far, the one I like most to work with and smell, is the pine. I grow up among pine forests, with Cyprus pine the most common. I know pine like no other timber, and I'm very lucky that I got a Cyprus pine plantation (40 acres) growing a few hundred meters from where i live. This plantation is 20 years old and never been trimmed, until recently, to which I can keep as much as I want. This Cyprus pine is of a rare family descendant of the pine species, producing strange tree formations, shapes, limbs, knots and even "burls", when planted in these type of soils, very sandy and very wet. For loggers theses are rubbish and "deforms", cut and left or run over with the machines. For someone like me, looking for the unusual/rare to turn, this place is like an untouched paradise with a very short life left, apparently the owner has realised the "fruits" are near ready to pick, so the timber loggers are counting the days!
In the mean time, I'm storing as much as I can under the limited cover available to me.

Cheers
GV
:aro-d: :oo: :oo: :oo: :aro-d: :o :o :o :aro-d: