PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Peanut Butter Jar

BernieP
1st August 2007, 08:10 PM
G'Day All

Have managed to make a few boxes but after looking at a empty plastic jar wondered if ....? Anyway tried to fit it inside a box that's built around it and this is the result. Realize it needs a lot of refinement but I think I will attempt another, as I have just finished a EEE jar and it being white may blend in better.

Cheers
Bernie

Brown Dog
1st August 2007, 08:26 PM
G'day Bernie

Nice job on the box ....

I read an article written by Richard Raffan about the same thing, However he was using the big white screw top conatiners (like the EEE container) that vitamins and stuff come in...I have been collecting them ever since but as yet havent got around to making any.

cheers
BD:2tsup:

wheelinround
1st August 2007, 08:32 PM
Bernie nice container ...........I have a few of those plastic fish iol one with scew tops.

Now thats not why the photo's your showing off your Family Tree and Crest come on own up

so do we call you Sir Bernie

BernieP
1st August 2007, 10:39 PM
G'Day BD

Thanks
Those big vitamin bottles will be better when you use them as you won't see glue wood etc. through the inside, also my choice of Rose Ash wasn't the best as anything with a pattern is hard to match to the position the lid and bottle is glued.

G'Day Wheelinround

You have good eyesight, but am afraid am direct line from convict stock, have a go at making one of these boxes as you have to think of problems that may lay ahead all the time, I really enjoyed it.

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
2nd August 2007, 09:19 AM
G'Day BD

Thanks
Those big vitamin bottles will be better when you use them as you won't see glue wood etc. through the inside, also my choice of Rose Ash wasn't the best as anything with a pattern is hard to match to the position the lid and bottle is glued.

G'Day Wheelinround

You have good eyesight, but am afraid am direct line from convict stock, have a go at making one of these boxes as you have to think of problems that may lay ahead all the time, I really enjoyed it.

Cheers
Bernie

will keep it for futrue reference

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd August 2007, 02:36 PM
Just one little thing... it's generally better to silicone the wood onto the jar, instead of using a normal glue. The Silicone will stay flexible and allow for timber movement, reducing heartache from cracking. :wink:

OGYT
2nd August 2007, 02:57 PM
Bernie: anything with a pattern is hard to match to the position the lid and bottle is glued.
Wonder if you couldn't put the jar lid on first, then put the wood top on, find out how it matches, then glue it?... Like you said... lot of things to consider while you're turnin'.... :)
Really a nice first build, Bernie, I think you've just inspired me to give it a shot! :D I have a couple little opaque white hand creme jars Her Majesty gave me for some small parts.
I have a question for you: Does your wood case have a bottom in it... is it just slipped down over the jar? My eyes don't work this late at night.... :(

Skew: it's generally better to silicone the wood onto the jar
Thanks for the heads-up, Skew. I'll keep that in mind.

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 06:56 PM
G'Day Skew and Al

Thanks for info Skew next one will be silicone, that's what I like about this forum, everyone helps everyone.

Al, what a logical thought, lid on first afraid I don't always see the obvious.
Wood case has a bottom I made it in following sequence:

Round wood between centres

Turn spigot and reverse into chuck

Small groove where lid will be parted off, and where bottom will be parted

Turn top of lid and finish

Part off lid and hollow out bottom part and measure for bottom of bottle

Reverse lid into hollow bottom and fix with masking tape to hold it in place

Hollow out lid and finish, using calipers to make sure lid is nearly snug fit

Have a dry run and make sure eveything fits together, glue together and leave a while for wood to settle, then I had to reround (not sure that's a word!) it while still chucked.

Definately going to make more as I now have you guys ideas to put to use.

Cheers
Bernie

Brown Dog
2nd August 2007, 07:01 PM
gday bernie
if your interested I could try and dig up that article by Richard Raffan and make a PDF copy to send you. Might give you some more ideas

PM if you are interested

Cheers
BD:2tsup:

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 07:22 PM
G'Day BD

Thanks PM sent

Cheers
Bernie

rodent
2nd August 2007, 07:42 PM
Im not going try and copy you but this is what i have done.
GTF3..jp (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=52188&stc=1&d=1186044059)g (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=52188&stc=1&d=1186044059)

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 08:01 PM
G'Day Rodent

Some more food for thoughts, thanks

Cheers
Bernie

weisyboy
2nd August 2007, 10:21 PM
Im not going try and copy you but this is what i have done.
GTF3..jp (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=52188&stc=1&d=1186044059)g (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=52188&stc=1&d=1186044059)

what take a photo of 2 jars:?

Wayne Blanch
8th August 2007, 06:27 PM
What a great idea Bernie!:2tsup: I have a few jars here that I will give that a go with.

I turned a couple of wooden covers for lids of jars for a friend of mine who has arthritis and she found them handy because they made the lids bigger and easier to grip but frankly I thought that they were as ugly as sin.:~

Now if I can make this work I will be able to give her something she can use and put on the bench without having to apologise for the unsightly lids.

Thanks for the terrific idea.

Regards
Wayne

BernieP
8th August 2007, 10:41 PM
G'Day Wayne

Would like to see your finished efforts, am in the middle of doing a EEE jar, a few pics attached more pics next post showing how I reverse chuck lid in body to hollow.

Cheers
Bernie

BernieP
8th August 2007, 10:46 PM
G'Day Wayne

A few more showing how I reverse lid and attach with masking tape, to keep grain pattern, and hollow lid
hope it helps

Cheers
Bernie

BernieP
8th August 2007, 11:38 PM
:fingerscrossed:

Wayne Blanch
11th August 2007, 05:38 PM
Bernie,
It took me a couple of days to get the kids to empty a peanut butter jar, but here is my first attempt, It was a fun project! Thanks again for showing us the idea:2tsup:.

Next time I will make it a little more decorative and probably change the shape to something more aesthetically pleasing:(( , also I think I will use an opaque plastic container/jar because it will appear neater when the jar is open. Having said that I am reasonably pleased with the outcome for a first try.

It is made from the much maligned mango, (No mould, it has been drying for a couple of years now.) finished with EEE and shellawax cream.

It stands 130mm high with a diameter of 85mm. The walls of the container are 3mm thick. I wanted to make sure that the finished product was fairly light and I thought that with the plastic jar to add to the wall strength of the item I could make it pretty thin. As a result it is fairly light and it seem to be solid enough. (At least is survived me dropping it:doh: in the kitchen)

See ya
Wayne

BernieP
11th August 2007, 05:54 PM
G'Day Wayne

Feels good when you make something useful from junk, doesn't it? I find they are useful around the shed for small parts, just wish I could remember what I have put in them now!

Nice container by the way

Cheers
Bernie

Hickory
12th August 2007, 07:25 AM
Excellant ideas and some fine looking "jars" but I consume all the Peanut Butter jars in my shop. Each contains a different sized screw especially drywall screws (easy to take them to a job etc. Also each contains different sized nails , Also storing dowel to keep them from humidity changes I also include the little dry packs that come in pills etc. Also store Biscuits and there are several with different sized wood buttons for counterbored holes. A host of uses for my jars. A friend keeps all his fishing goods in them. Weights , jigs, etc. the jars are not damaged by the plasticisers in baits, etc.

But I do make tops for the lids (in a similar fashion) that fit odd shaped glass jars a local Marmalade comes in a little "Pot-bellied" jar, I make a dish that the bottom of the jar fits into and a matching lid cover, Fill with honey and add a honey dipper, it makes a nice Breakfast table setting for guests etc.

Wish I had a picture to post but gave away the last one before remember ing to take a picture. Perhaps the next one.