PDA

View Full Version : Paper towel or rag?

Harry72
1st August 2007, 11:43 PM
Just a quick poll, which do you use?
Any thoughts on the subject?

I've been using the Viva paper towels(the ones currently advertised on TV)they seem to hold together quite well, a lot longer than the standard paper towel.

echnidna
1st August 2007, 11:52 PM
Personally I use rag

Glad you started this thread coz

I been meanin to ask Cliff,
howd'ya hold a rat's ring when ya polish things on the lathe :D :D

DJ’s Timber
2nd August 2007, 12:07 AM
I use cotton flannel for friction polishes & waxes with paper towel for CA on pens

Tornatus
2nd August 2007, 12:17 AM
Nearly always rags, tho I keep a roll of paper towel handy for general wiping up/oil spills etc. BUT rags should always be COTTON - old T-shirts are best, especially for final polishing. Synthetics and even cotton/synthetic blends should be avoided, as they can behave unpredictably when heated and can react with certain finishes/solvents. Natural fibre is best!

TTIT
2nd August 2007, 12:29 AM
Flanny sheets :2tsup: Once emailed the girls at work offering a turning of choice to the first one to offer up some flannies - had a pile of queen-sized in less than an hour!:U:U

Capt. Zero
2nd August 2007, 01:43 AM
I voted paper towels,because technicaly they are. What I use are those blue disposable shop towels. They are smooth as old t-shirts and easier for me to get(I'm single so I can get full use out of my tees. Wear em till they fall off!).:D

"This car comes equiped with air conditioned air straight from our air conditioned factory."

Doc Ron
2nd August 2007, 01:43 AM
Once after I had had the lathe grab the cloth and whip it out of my hand and wrap it around the piece, I realized it could have taken my fingers with it, I switched to paper towels. They tear away, no problems.

ubeaut
2nd August 2007, 02:28 AM
Have used up every flannelette sheet in the family, all of our friends and half a dozen Salvo shops. I now buy 10 yards of new white flannelette sheeting from Spotlight whenever I am running low. I love the stuff.

also use lots of old worn cotton sheets and linen table cloths etc and try to keep at least a few kg on hand at all times. Getting harder to get from Salvos and brotherhood shops now because they are obliged to supply so much of the stuff to contractors.

For Shellawax there is nothing better than flannelette, however Doorstop swears by old Tshirt material, and another demonstrator won't use anything other than Mc Donalds paper napkins he always leaves with a big handful. Personally I reckon it's just his excuse to have Mc Breaky before he starts work.

Cheers - Neil :)

Stu in Tokyo
2nd August 2007, 06:04 AM
I use them paper towels on steroids thing, shop towels but I avoid the blue ones, the color from the towel once leaked into a nice piece of white maple:doh:

I too worry about rags catching and taking my fingers for a ride, paper towels are safer, but each to his own, they are you fingers! :D

Richard Findley
2nd August 2007, 08:48 AM
Hi guys,

I'm a paper roll man myself mostly on safety grounds and I find I get an excellent finish with lacquer, oil and friction polish (although I rarely use the later because of its lack of durability)...

...that said, there's an old boy at our club (been turning for 50 odd years) swears by cotton cloths AND still has all his fingers:; !!

Richard

Alastair
2nd August 2007, 09:47 AM
Use a combination.

Apply finish, (sanding sealer or danish oil) using a wad of toilet paper, rubbing in well until it starts to get tacky. Can just dump in bin, without mess or combustion fears.

Start lathe, and friction dry, using cloth. Frequently change position to fresh surface.

Cloth is usually reject cotton bedsheet, (you know, after they have worn so thin that you have put your foot through them) as they are very smooth.
Have also used old tee's, but agree that I usually wear those until they fall off. Have used old bath towels, but tend to feel that the "rough" texture gives a poorer polish, unless you are going very satin.

Will also use a wad of toilet paper, loaded with carnauba, for burnishing to a gloss.

regards

Cliff Rogers
2nd August 2007, 10:27 AM
Combination, depends on what I'm doing with it.

Paper towel for just general mop ups, wiping hands, carrying finished pieces & blowing nose etc.
I also use paper towel for packing between turned pieces if I have to move them around.

Rags for applying most finishes, although I often spread oil on timber with a brush & then change to a rag.

Best rags are natural fibres, IE cotton.

Best weave I have found are good old Bonds singlets but very hard to get in quantity.
I'm not a fan of flanney... leaves too much fluff behind I reckon.

Beside the lathe I have....
A large plastic bottle with a neck big enough to get my hand in & I have it full of torn up pieces of cotton sheet & cut up pieces of cotton T shirt & singlet. ALWAYS REPLACE THE LID!!!
A roll of paper towel to wipe up spills etc.
One grubby old cotton work shirt that is used to rub over the bare metal parts of the lathe with an occasional spray of 'sheep in a tin' or a bit of Trad wax to keep the rust off & keep the parts sliding smoothly.

PS. (For Bob.) Gaffer tape mate. :2tsup:

ptc
2nd August 2007, 10:53 AM
nappies (cotton ones)
keep your eyes open at garage sales.

benji79
2nd August 2007, 11:42 AM
I use rags, only because I have a good supply from work. I didnt know this, but you can order diferent grades of rags.. We were getting cheap bags of rags which were old footy shorts and material like that. Now we pay more and get only old t shirts and flannelette material. Soaks up spills great and is great for the lathe.

Benji

namtrak
2nd August 2007, 11:44 AM
My old man sells bags of cleaning rags. Comes in handy.

NeilS
2nd August 2007, 02:41 PM
I use old cotton or linen rags... Bonds singlets are OK, but sheets (not flannelette, it sheds too much flock for me) and pillowcases are the best.

I always try to think about not wrapping the rag around my fingers to avoid an Aunty Jack* accident and, so far, with the exception of one little reminder, I still have all of my fingers, hands and arms.

* For overseas forum members, Aunty Jack was a well-known Australian TV character of the early 1970's who infamously encouraged others to comply with his/her wishes by saying... "or I'll rip your bloody arms off". For those who wish to understand more or just reminisce: :no:

http://members.pcug.org.au/~stmcdona/auntyjac.html

Neil

OGYT
2nd August 2007, 03:32 PM
I clicked on 'other'. For friction polishes, I use cotton cloth from an old tee shirt, wrapped around a ball of cheese cloth which holds more polish, and tied with a string.
I use Paper Towels (I think they're Bounty, bought by Her Majesty) to apply Danish and Lemon oils, but tee shirt and cotton cloth for the other stuff.
Why haven't I been using a brush for the oils?.... hmmmm. Not smart enough to think of that. Big jar for the small rags is a good idea, too. Thanks, Cliff. :D

ss_11000
2nd August 2007, 05:58 PM
i use both, never really thought it would make a difference. i use old tea towels and servietes, paper towel. i will try to get some flanno.

cheers

BernieP
2nd August 2007, 07:09 PM
G'Day Harry

I use rags, mainly because I seem to have so many lieing around, also find when sanding a good wipe of paper on the leg of my jeans seems to unclog it, must admit missus not really amused, but always means some more old rags appear in the shed:D

Cheers
Bernie