PDA

View Full Version : Coconut wood bungalow stumping

bugman
2nd August 2007, 08:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm considering importing a prefab Balinese made bungalow (3 x 4 metre floor base) to have erected on a small property west of Brisbane. I forsee Termites as being a big issue so was wondering if anyone had much experience with coconut wood, including durability, termite resistance etc.

The bungalows are free standing but I'm of the opinion that having it raised a foot or so from the ground would help guard against any potential problems such as termites, damp etc. Can anyone advise on the best method to have this raised? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

whitewood
2nd August 2007, 08:29 AM
Hi
I don't have first hand experience but while working overseas I saw first hand that using coconut wood for stumps for a raised walkway thru mangroves was a complete disater. The stumps rotted very quickly and the timber on the walking path did not fare well once it was on the ground.

bugman
2nd August 2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Whitewood,

thanks for the quick response. I may not have been clear in my original post. What I actually meant was that I wanted the bugalow itself to be mounted (stumped?) above the ground onto something more durable and solid such as stirrups, concrete stumps, steel poles etc. I'd prefer this to placing on a concrete slab, mainly for the reasons of potential Termite and damp problems. The general idea is that the bungalow itself will not have any contact with the ground.

Any further input would be much appreciated.
thanks.