PDA

View Full Version : Flakers awake! - Psoriasis

Sebastiaan56
4th August 2007, 09:29 AM
As I progress through the world I leave a trail of white snow behind. A trail of DNA that any plod would find, a trail of snow that unmistakably announces my presence. Now some might think it humorous to be living in a perpetual white christmas but when I leave the table after a meeting with a client there is a clearly defined silhouette of yours truly left on any dark coloured furniture. What a relief is the shed. Liberally covered in dust and shavings the inevitable flurry following me is obscured by a larger collection of small flakey things.

Ive been offered every lotion, potion, pill or herb in the worlds pharmacopeia. Ive been recommended every liver, spleen, body, mind and spiritual cleansing routine known to man. Dust!, flakey dust to all of them! A covering of flakey poxey skin to all of the quacks cures. About the only thing that helps is a bit of lanolin,

Are there other flakers on the list?, what do you do? Does it work?

Sebastiaan

Honorary Bloke
4th August 2007, 09:32 AM
I'm a bit of a flaker (not a flake, mind). :D I find the 2% creme to be near best, but a prescription steroid is the absolute best control. Of course, it will make you a tenor, but don't let that worry you. :D :D

wheelinround
4th August 2007, 11:16 AM
Sab I also am a flaker Dr prescribes Betnovate a cream which helps but the tube is so small it lasts only a short while.
I also use Lanolin but swmbo adds a few drops of Lavender oil which helps kill bacteria as its an antiseptic aroma helps you sleep well of a night too. If your using a tube you'll need either a syringe or steady hands to drip it into the hole.
The other thing is Rose hip oil drops expensive but excelent.:2tsup:

Black Ned
4th August 2007, 11:42 AM
I had a problem with a patch on my shin that would not clear up. Many types of creme were recommended and tried but to no avail.
I no longer have the problem - I got rid of it by rubbing a piece of Aloe Vera plant onr the affected area and then wrapping over it with Glad Wrap (cling wrap).
The Plant grows in a flowerpot on our verandah and we break off a piece as needed and wrap the left over piece in Glad Wrap and store in the fridge. It fixes all sorts of things like cuts and burns.

Master Splinter
4th August 2007, 07:56 PM
If you don't mind a suntan, UV treatment (narrowband UV-B) is very effective. Many dermatologists have a cabinet available. Do a run with your dermatologist to see how you respond, if it works well you can buy or build a unit for home.

There is also a new treatment for it - Raptiva, an injection based targeted immunosuppressant. It has been recently been put on the PBS so you don't have to shell out $12,000 per year for it if you meet the treatment guidelines.

Dean
4th August 2007, 10:08 PM
Another effective treatment for many dry type skin conditions is a few drops of almond oil (from the health food shop) in the bath a few times a week.

No guarantees but worth a try, and cheaper than most prescription options.

Carry Pine
4th August 2007, 10:42 PM
SWMBO who is a nurse tells me it is because I don't drink enough water.
I say there's water in coffee, coke and beer.

Carry Pine

Sebastiaan56
7th August 2007, 07:46 AM
SWMBO who is a nurse tells me it is because I don't drink enough water.
I say there's water in coffee, coke and beer.

Carry Pine

Good call Carry,

Dean,

Who's got a bath anymore? Showers in chlorinated water for me, good point though,

Splinter,

How many times before you get skin cancer? Do you use this method?

Linden,

Aloe is aggravating on me but, it seems to be great for sunburn etc,

Wheelin,

I will chase down Rose Hip Oil, where do you get it?

Honorary,

Well Ive already had my brood, and my singing voice could use some improvement :D, Ive also been told (SWMBO is also a nurse) that it makes the skin "thin" and prone to damage. I have a tube sitting gathering dust, but it does work,

Thanks for your replies guys, and I notice it is guys, do women get this pox?

Sebastiaan

wheelinround
7th August 2007, 10:40 AM
Good call Carry,

Dean,

Who's got a bath anymore? Showers in chlorinated water for me, good point though,

Splinter,

How many times before you get skin cancer? Do you use this method?

Linden,

Aloe is aggravating on me but, it seems to be great for sunburn etc,

Wheelin,

I will chase down Rose Hip Oil, where do you get it?

Honorary,

Well Ive already had my brood, and my singing voice could use some improvement :D, Ive also been told (SWMBO is also a nurse) that it makes the skin "thin" and prone to damage. I have a tube sitting gathering dust, but it does work,

Thanks for your replies guys, and I notice it is guys, do women get this pox?

Sebastiaan

Sabastian I still have a bath and use it daily shower is a pain to get into although I do on occassions. Now days they are called spars upthemselves Yuppies dont like the term bath even swimming pools are Baths in some countries :D.
I agree with Carry Pine the more water I drink the less trouble I have.

Ok Sabasatian daughter picked ours up at Phillip Island when down there for Moto GP. I know along way from BMnt's try a Herbal outlet might be one in Leura Katoomba or Penrith which carries it.

This is the link http://www.kosmea.com.au/aspx/what_makes_our_oil_unique.aspx so you know what your after same as I have but try before you buy not cheap almost as bad as swmbo perfume :doh:
http://www.kosmea.com.au/aspx/find_a_stockist.aspx
some of their stockists close by while there buy a tube of Lanolin cream or from wollies swmbo gets me the home brand one to which we add a couple of drops of lavender oil and massage inot the tube contents.

Blue Mountains Food Co-op
Shop 1-2 Ha'Penny Lane
Katoomba NSW 2780
http://www.kosmea.com.au/images/icon_phone.gif 02 4782 5890
Go Vita Katoomba
Shop 3B, Katoomba Fair
Katoomba NSW 2780
http://www.kosmea.com.au/images/icon_phone.gif 02 4782 4667

Leura Health Foods
155 The Mall
Leura NSW 2780
http://www.kosmea.com.au/images/icon_phone.gif 02 4782 4511

If its real bad go see quack i used my prescribed cream for first time in ages this morning and it helps it clear up within an hour redness gone itchying gone.

Ironwood
7th August 2007, 05:23 PM
I have suffered from dandruff most of my life, as I can remember.

When I have an outbreak, a couple of washes with 'Selsun' shampoo (make sure you get the one in the yellow bottle) on consecutive nights makes it go away for a while.

I find once I get on top of it, if I use the Selsun about once a week it seems to keep it at bay pretty well. Though if I use a cheap shampoo or conditioner in between, its back with a vengeance in no time. I dont use conditioner at all any more.

This stuff also works well on tinea and jockrash, handy stuff if you live in the tropics :U

Wild Dingo
7th August 2007, 09:27 PM
I thought you blokes were talking about Psoriasis not dandruff!! Dandruff is a whole different mongrel to Psoriasis

I dont have issues with either dont get it or have it so from a personal point I dont have any clues but from bein the partner of a sheila that has severe Psoriasis I can say she has yet to find ANYTHING that works for her... hers is through her hair and ears it gets so bad sometimes that she has to visit the quack to get her ears flushed so she can hear...

shes tried everything so far suggested with no success... "just something about me" she shrugs and so it goes

BUT Psoriasis is NOT dandruff just thought Id say that :roll:

Carry Pine
7th August 2007, 10:15 PM
And i read somewhere that bed bugs (or mites) live on dad skin in the bed. They must be obese bas#$@rds at my place!

(Don't know why that swearword wants to call itself a website!)

CP

whitewood
8th August 2007, 08:21 AM
My wifes family has serious problems with this complaint. While they have not been able to cure it those members with small areas have had good results with dairy sal. (used to treat rashes on cows udders) Don't laugh I'm serious. It is not expensive and the jar is large. I buy it for them at the local farm supply shop.

Grunt
8th August 2007, 10:37 AM
I would check for some underlying cause too. Get a liver function test. A poorly functioning liver can give you dry skin.

You can also try increasing you intake of Omega 3 oils. Try some fish oil or even better Chia Seeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica).

Ironwood
8th August 2007, 10:43 AM
I thought you blokes were talking about Psoriasis not dandruff!! Dandruff is a whole different mongrel to Psoriasis

I'd not heard of psoriasis before, when they were going on about white snow coming out of their hair, I just assumed they were talking about dandruff.

Sorry to cause any confusion out there :B

Sebastiaan56
8th August 2007, 11:46 AM
And i read somewhere that bed bugs (or mites) live on dad skin in the bed. They must be obese bas#$@rds at my place!

CP

The local drycleaner has a sign that proclaims someting like 20L of sweat, 3kg of dead skin per year etc collect in the average Doona. Ive always wanted to sneek up with a pen and change it to Donna,

Sebastiaan

Wood Butcher
8th August 2007, 02:28 PM

I was told by a dermatologist that dandruff is not psoriasis but psoriasis can be mistaken as dandruff. People automatically assume that becasue you have a flaky scalp it is dandruff, but it can be caused by psoriasis in some cases.

Master Splinter
9th August 2007, 10:56 PM
UVB treatment and cancer risks....

Phototherapy studies performed over the last two decades have consistently shown that the incidence of skin cancer in patients receiving UVB phototherapy is not increased above the incidence in the general population. These findings include the investigation of UVB treatment alone, in addition to UVB supplemented by another known carcinogen, topical coal tar, in the Goeckerman regimen (a day-treatment program in which patients receive tar and light treatments).

Goeckerman patients studied in one of the most comprehensive studies of this subject, Mark pittelkow, M.D., and co-authors at the Mayo Clinic retrospectively reviewed 280 psoriasis patients in a 25-year follow-up. All of the patients had been hospitalized and treated with crude coal tar and ultraviolet light. The incidence of skin cancer in those patients was not increased over the expected incidence.

In a second study of skin cancers in patients with atopic dermatitis who were treated with Goeckerman regimen, Willard Maughan and co-authors completed a 25-year follow-up study of 426 patients and again found no significant increase in the incidence of skin cancer.

forunna
11th August 2007, 12:11 AM
Sebastiaan,
I find that short hair makes a big difference. I give myself a no.2 with the clippers every month which seems to keep it at bay. If I let it get longer than 10mm the snow starts again.

Chris Parks
15th August 2007, 12:44 AM
[LEFT]If you don't mind a suntan, UV treatment (narrowband UV-B) is very effective.

I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. My father had the dreaded rash and used to use a UV light extensively. In later life he suffered extensively with skin cancer problems. I don't know if there is a connection there, I am just relating the story. He too used every cream and external treatment offered and nothing helped.

flynnsart
30th September 2007, 09:41 PM
I have had this problem for quite some time, and tired of going to drs. and trying one thing after another, and expensive tiny tubes of cream when it developed into infections. One day staff member in chemist showed me T-gel, which is a shampoo and also makes a conditioner. Within a week it was almost gone. I dont use it all the time, (too expensive for my budget) but for a few weeks in a row, then use cheaper tar shampoo from woolies for a while.

Have found a couple of things. It is aggravated by moist hair, sweat, dust mites, WOOD DUST:oo: stress, hats. Try and get your hair and skin as dry as possible after showering. Dont have a too hot, long shower. Dont wrap your hair in a towel after showering. (And yes you could change the sign to Donna!!:p)

Donna

dennford
30th September 2007, 10:35 PM
I don't suffer from psoriasis but do have severe atopic excema, to the point where I have had several spells as an inpatient at various hospitals, sometimes admitted as an emergency case.

Now although I still have this ailment I no longer "suffer" from it and haven't for the past 20 years. my last hospital admission 20 years ago taught me a way of controlling (not curing) the ailment and lets admit it after some of the treatment in those dermatology wards I don't ever want to be admitted again.

When I feel that the dreaded lurgy is on its way I bathe several times over a few days in a bath of oatmeal.

Now please understand that if this excema develops then I can end up scratching myself until I bleed profusely (hence the emergency admissions), so any intervetion is good. A dose of steroid can sometimes help but the oatmeal bath is gaurenteed to help me. Apparrantly there is an enzyme in oatmeal that promotes cell repair.

Of course I understand that this may or may not help with psoriasis but I am sure it wouldn't do any harm to try it - even people with so called healthy skin would feel the benefit of oatmeal.

To bathe in the stuff I just put some oatmeal (instant porridge or similar) into a ladies stocking to make a ball the size of a tennis ball, put that in your bath and the white goo that oozes out is the stuff - soak in it for 20- 30 minutes twice a day untill you feel the benefit.

Please if you have one don't ever get ridof a bath.

Denn

wheelinround
1st October 2007, 11:18 AM
I don't suffer from psoriasis but do have severe atopic excema, to the point where I have had several spells as an inpatient at various hospitals, sometimes admitted as an emergency case.

Now although I still have this ailment I no longer "suffer" from it and haven't for the past 20 years. my last hospital admission 20 years ago taught me a way of controlling (not curing) the ailment and lets admit it after some of the treatment in those dermatology wards I don't ever want to be admitted again.

When I feel that the dreaded lurgy is on its way I bathe several times over a few days in a bath of oatmeal.

Now please understand that if this excema develops then I can end up scratching myself until I bleed profusely (hence the emergency admissions), so any intervetion is good. A dose of steroid can sometimes help but the oatmeal bath is gaurenteed to help me. Apparrantly there is an enzyme in oatmeal that promotes cell repair.

Of course I understand that this may or may not help with psoriasis but I am sure it wouldn't do any harm to try it - even people with so called healthy skin would feel the benefit of oatmeal.

To bathe in the stuff I just put some oatmeal (instant porridge or similar) into a ladies stocking to make a ball the size of a tennis ball, put that in your bath and the white goo that oozes out is the stuff - soak in it for 20- 30 minutes twice a day untill you feel the benefit.

Please if you have one don't ever get ridof a bath.

Denn

Denn so this way you can have breakfast in the bath just add sugar n milk:U
Mine is on rigth thumb area its where I sued to sand vehicles back when doing resprays
on my left wrist where as a child I was steam scollded turning off a jug.

I swear if I eat anything with hazlenut especcially choclate I can like you scratch till t bleads. Coffee more than one a week these days and same thing :no::roll: go figure all those years of mars bars n coffee, hot chocolate to keep me going in the winter month down the snow must have got overdosed.

dennford
1st October 2007, 12:21 PM
Denn so this way you can have breakfast in the bath just add sugar n milk:U

I'l bet you wont ever want porridge for brekky if you visit my house:U

Denn

Master Splinter
1st October 2007, 12:37 PM
It has to do with your chi- blocked chi to be precise.

I think you'll find the only 'chi' involved is that it can be itchi.

Current research indicates that there are at least four genes linked to the condition - called PSOR 1-4, along with the human leukocyte antigen regulation system and tumor necrosis factor.

Excema is similar but different; it seems to involve IgE immunoglobulins and cell-mediated immune response.

Excema often presents from an early age while psoriasis typically does not appear till the early 30's

My quick layperson's reading on the subject gives me the feeling that you could describe them as opposites in immune system disorders; with psoriasis you get an overactive immune response that is continually replacing healthy skin cells for no good reason; with excema you have an underactive response that allows enzymes from allergens to damage skin cells, thereby forcing their replacement. Similar outcomes, but different causes.

Appropriate treatments for both are different; as with many conditions there are home remedies that provide some level of relief, but my general rule of thumb is that unless there are clinical studies proving a level of effectiveness, I'm not going to pay more than the price of a few movie tickets for the privilege of trying something!

Paul B
2nd October 2007, 04:16 PM
I've had it for years, pretty much cleared up now tho:2tsup:

A bloke I was working with gave me some stuff for it. He's a biochemist, he said this stuff isn't approved for use in people, it's a veteranary product used on horses. Called Copper Indomethycin Gel, cheap and it works. You can probably get some through your vet. Though he might get a little put off if you tell him it's for yourself.

It works via a similar action as your cortisone based creams, problem with them is they interfere with the way your skin grows - so you can end up with thiner skin and have to limit your use of them. This stuff doesn't do that.

It takes about six weeks or so before you think it's doing any good then it clears up pretty fast, maybe two or three months and your psoriasis will be a bad memory. It will come back, but then you'll know how to treat it:U

Chris Parks
2nd October 2007, 04:23 PM
Someone introduced my Dad to a veterinary product for his Psoriasis. It is used to treat skin problems on the udders of cows. While not getting rid of the Psoriasis it definitely relieved the itchiness and need to scratch.

prozac
3rd October 2007, 05:19 PM
I have had remarkable success treating Cellulitis with Coconut Oil. For those who may not know cellulitis is a deep tissue infection (commonly Staph) that flourishes when the lymphatic system is compromised by a major traumatic injury or by having lymph glands removed in cancer surgery. No it's not that lumpy look on women's thighs.
Anyway the thing is it can be very debilitating. I treat it with antibiotics, but when push comes to shove and it won't go away I rub on the coconut oil and by morning the improvement is fantastic.
I would think that it may work well with psoriasis as well. Be sure to buy only an "organic" coconut oil as a non certified oil may have been extracted with the help of chemicals. This site http://www.nuicoconut.com/ has the stuff that I use, I even cook with it.
One of the main ingredients in coconut oil is lauric acid. That comes neatly packaged as we know it in breast milk. This is the stuff that gives rug rats their immunity to bugs and diseases. The Fijians swear by it.
If anyone does try it let us know if it works for you!!!

Sebastiaan56
31st October 2007, 07:36 AM
I have had remarkable success treating Cellulitis with Coconut Oil. For those who may not know cellulitis is a deep tissue infection (commonly Staph) that flourishes when the lymphatic system is compromised by a major traumatic injury or by having lymph glands removed in cancer surgery. No it's not that lumpy look on women's thighs.
Anyway the thing is it can be very debilitating. I treat it with antibiotics, but when push comes to shove and it won't go away I rub on the coconut oil and by morning the improvement is fantastic.
I would think that it may work well with psoriasis as well. Be sure to buy only an "organic" coconut oil as a non certified oil may have been extracted with the help of chemicals. This site http://www.nuicoconut.com/ has the stuff that I use, I even cook with it.
One of the main ingredients in coconut oil is lauric acid. That comes neatly packaged as we know it in breast milk. This is the stuff that gives rug rats their immunity to bugs and diseases. The Fijians swear by it.
If anyone does try it let us know if it works for you!!!

Hi Prozac,

Full of saturated fats as well. There is a school of thought that suggests saturated fats are under represented in the modern diet much to the dismay of cardiologists!

Some things help a bit. I changed my blood pressure medication. Beta blockers as a group have a correlation to psoriasis. Im on another drug, so far its better. I am also taking "bioflavinoids" which are apparently an antioxidant. Between the two I have seen improvement.

Wheelin,

One day Ill do an expose on the "Health Food" industry. Suffice to say that the margins are well in excess of normal retail. A lot of well meaning people in the system, a lot of sharks as well,

dennford
31st October 2007, 08:29 AM
My quick layperson's reading on the subject gives me the feeling that you could describe them as opposites in immune system disorders; with psoriasis you get an overactive immune response that is continually replacing healthy skin cells for no good reason; with excema you have an underactive response that allows enzymes from allergens to damage skin cells, thereby forcing their replacement. Similar outcomes, but different causes.

That's interesting because as said I suffer from excema (under active immune system), but I also suffer from a type of arthritis that is caused by an overactive immune system, there is some evidence that immuno-suppressants do sometimes help in the treatment of some forms of arthritis.
I wonder if I'm coming or going?

Denn

prozac
6th November 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Prozac,

Full of saturated fats as well. There is a school of thought that suggests saturated fats are under represented in the modern diet much to the dismay of cardiologists!

Some things help a bit. I changed my blood pressure medication. Beta blockers as a group have a correlation to psoriasis. Im on another drug, so far its better. I am also taking "bioflavinoids" which are apparently an antioxidant. Between the two I have seen improvement.

Wheelin,

One day Ill do an expose on the "Health Food" industry. Suffice to say that the margins are well in excess of normal retail. A lot of well meaning people in the system, a lot of sharks as well,

Don't eat or cook with the coconut oil if it worries you, but I can say it works for cellulitis and I know someone who used it very effectively to rid himself of a nasty looking recurrent skin condition that covered an entire shin. What have you got to loose?
prozac

flightyswine
27th June 2008, 12:07 PM
I've had psoriasis for 20 years or so. About 7 years ago I had a major flare. I'd been working hard rebuilding the back of the house, kneeling a lot. I had to go get a cortisone shot in my foot because it was getting sore. Just as the building was finished, my father in law passed away. It was a very stressful time for my wife and I.
I woke one morning with stiff puffy knees. Within a week I was on a walking stick. I could barely move, let alone walk. I saw a dermatologist straight away. He was a friend of a friend of my wife, who is a nurse. It's not what you know... My GP wasn't keen on my demand for a referal. Country docs sometimes think they can handle everything.
Anyway, it turned out I had Psoriatic Arthritis. With the help of some serious meds, it took a few months to get things under control, and I've been popping pills ever since. I take methotrexate once a week. Been on it for 8 years now. I also got good relief from celebrex, but had to stop after 3 years because they were messing up my blood pressure meds. I swapped them for sulphasalizine, which seems to help.
As for the P. I've used heaps of topical steroids in the past. I don't think they do a great deal really, and eventually, they can thin your skin. That seems to have happened to me anyway. If you do use cortisone cream or ointment, I found the best is "fatty ointment". Your doc will know it and can order it in bulk packs. That way you get half a dozen tubes for a standard scrip payment at the chemist (in Australia anyway).
I've also used Daivonex a fair bit. It worked quite well at first, but the it doesn't and the P comes back. Dermie told me this works better if you get the ointment and mix it with fatty ointment. You can also get Daivobet, which is daivonex with betamethasone (cortisone) mixed in, but the dermie says best to mix your own.
I've found the best is still the Ruddick's (sp?) Cattle Ointment. Buy it at any Vet's. They'll know why you want it LOL. About $30 for a few years supply. It won't cure anything, but it will loosen flakey skin. Have a bath about 12 hours after you apply it and you can gain much satisfaction gently removing heaps of dead skin. Then you'll only have red patches.
Paul. :;

Sebastiaan56
14th July 2008, 06:28 PM
It worked quite well at first, but the it doesn't and the P comes back.

Doesnt it always......

I've found the best is still the Ruddick's (sp?) Cattle Ointment. Buy it at any Vet's. They'll know why you want it LOL. About $30 for a few years supply. It won't cure anything, but it will loosen flakey skin. Have a bath about 12 hours after you apply it and you can gain much satisfaction gently removing heaps of dead skin. Then you'll only have red patches.
Paul. :;

I use Vitamin E cream for the same purpose.

I went to a naturpoath a few weeks ago, she did the usual, no dairy, no wheat, lots of supplements and the most disgusting herbal mixture. Anyway, it seems to be slowly clearing. Lets see in six months.......

manoftalent
14th July 2008, 11:44 PM
In a vast majority of people psoriasis is caused by stress, my family doctor told me this .....I have tried all available lotions, some of them even spread it and made it worse .....however, there are two successful and helpful remedies to try .....go for a swim in chlorinated pool...and most effective was wearing sports supports ....you know those stretchy knee supports, and elbow things ....well they keep in the heat, make ya sweat a little, and virtually slowly "rub off" the dead skin ....and here is something I noticed ...in winter time this psoriasis slows down almost to a halt, but as soon as summer comes .....its back again ...I have been trouble free now for two yrs , I got rid of it by the afore mentioned proccess and changed my attitude .....tomorrow is another day .....stressing yourself out has to stop .....its unhealthy .....and nothing is more important than your health ......stay calm .....pidgeon hole the problem and come back to it with a fresh mind ......its that simple:roll: