PDA

View Full Version : Old grinding wheels

Aerohydro
4th August 2007, 10:57 AM
I picked up a nice old electric motor and a few grinding wheels from a junk shop yesterday. My plan is to reinforce the wheels with a plywood and epoxy backing and mount them on the motor so I can use them to grind metal like you would use a disk sander for timber. I'd like to know if there are any hazards associated with using uniderntified grinding wheels. I know about side-loading, overspeeding and cracks but have grinding wheels ever contained asbestos or something else particularly nasty?

Lumber Bunker
4th August 2007, 02:44 PM
Using a tool for job it was never intended for is always trouble. Not sure about the asbestos or not though?
Are you wanting to use it like a surface grinder? They come up in auctions from time to time.

Good Luck

Aerohydro
4th August 2007, 06:24 PM
Not as a surface grinder like you would use in a milling machine. I want to use it for similar sort of work that a conventional bench grinder would do, but with a bit more flexibility and working space. I'm getting started in forging steel tools and I hope to use this grinder for very rough dressing of forged surfaces. I'm following much of what Alexander Weygers describes in "The Making of Tools". He calls this machine a side grinder but I've never heard the term elsewhere.
Thanks for the reply.

China
4th August 2007, 10:45 PM
Most likely will work ok, make sure you wear face mask and if it does disintergrate before your eyes, in won't be in you eyes

Aerohydro
4th August 2007, 11:22 PM
Anything I end up building will be left running for a good while before I go anywhere near it. I don't think there's too much risk of disintegration though. I wont be doing very heavy work, the wheels seem sound and epoxy is good stuff.

windbreaker
5th August 2007, 10:18 PM
Just stand to one side on start up. I'm told that is the most likely time for a wheel to disintegrate. I've never seen one do it and I never want to. I'll bet the old motor won't have a slow start either.

WB