PDA

View Full Version : Pleated Filter for D/C - Who has one?

Dean
9th September 2003, 01:56 PM
GPW (http://www.gpw.au.com/) has their pleated filter going for $249 at present.

Anyone here have one and use one? Seems like a pretty nifty addition to dust control that is easy to clean?

Opinions please :)

Sir Stinkalot
9th September 2003, 02:17 PM
It is a good saving but wouldn't $250 go almost all the way to making a cyclone which by all of Waynes reports would work better anyway?

Dean
9th September 2003, 02:29 PM
Yep I'd say so :)
I guess my concern is that I want to maintain some portability in the unit.

DavidW
9th September 2003, 05:25 PM
Cant you mount the cyclone on the trolley that comes with the D/C unit. That is my plan ATM although I dont pick up the D/C till the weekend so I don't know how feasable (sp) it would be.

Sir Stinkalot
9th September 2003, 05:28 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I don't think that it would work on the original DC stand but it would be easy to make a stand of some sort. I don't want to put in ducting into the existing setup so portability is a must.

DavidW
9th September 2003, 05:43 PM
Just had a look at the site and it doesn't look like a bad idea if it works as advertised, just give it a spin every .5 hr or so and back to full suction.

Wayne Davy
10th September 2003, 02:08 PM
All,

I have looked at that one before and thought it might be good and could even be used for the filter on a Cyclone at a later date. One thing - they don't mention the micron rating. Not much use spending that much and only getting the same/similar micron rating as fine filter bags imho.

One thing it has going for it is that the filter material is polyester. Lots of other brands (inc Jet, Hare & Forbes, Carbatec) are actually paper and wear out eventually. Gregory machinery sell one which is polyester but for lots more money - probably better micron rating. (They dont sell the Jet one because it is paper btw)

Dean
10th September 2003, 02:14 PM
Wayne, I believe the Micron rating on these things is 1 micron.
I am sure I read that a few weeks ago on one of the sites.

Dean

Dean
10th September 2003, 02:17 PM
Yes it is 1 micron. Just found the website from another retailer:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=SCF5060

Model is the same as the one GPW sells....
Hmm damn, now I am tempted! 1 Micron is pretty good.

Wayne Davy
10th September 2003, 10:39 PM
Bill Pentz sent me a picture ages ago of another guys portable Cyclone. He just used the base from a 2hp/1.5hp Jet D/C and built the Cyclone on top of it. I was tempted to do this a well but it does increase the total height and I was at the max for my little toy room as it was. Anyway, below is the pic.

DavidW
10th September 2003, 10:45 PM
I notice you have a pic of the Carba-tec 6" jointer, do you have one and if so what is your opinion of it?

rodm
10th September 2003, 10:58 PM
Wayne,
The Jet cyclone above seems to retain the original inlet which means that large particle like nails and bits of timber pass through the impellars. From memory your design eliminates this as these particles are sorted by the cyclone before the air goes through the impellars. Is this correct?

cheers,
Rod

Wayne Davy
11th September 2003, 12:00 AM
Rod,

Yes, you are correct. That one is a 'Push Through' type i.e. the Air (and Dust/Nails/Screws/Small Animals) is Pushed through the Cyclone. My one is a 'Pull Through' type.

The main difference is that the 'Push Through' ones dont take as much Blower power to run the Cyclone. So, you can use a small motor (1.5hp min) to run them. The downside, as you mentioned, is that all the crap hits the impeller.

Bill Pentz told me that my 2hp would work a bit better in 'Push Through' mode but was other considerations (height mainly) that made me go for the 'Pull' type.

Dean
11th September 2003, 12:04 AM
David,

To tell you the truth, I still havent assembled it yet!
Trying to find time to rip up the existing carpet in my new 'workshop' so I can get the sucker into action :)

Hopefully might be up and running by the end of the weekend!

rodm
11th September 2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks Wayne

I am going to get serious about Dust Extraction and are trying to get my head around the cyclone.

cheers,
Rod