PDA

View Full Version : My workshop

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 05:24 PM
My workshop is built underneath my house and consist of three distinct but adjacent areas. I started on the first part about 40 years ago and has involved excavation by hand, relaying storm water pipes, removing stumps and installing beams, building walls, lining ceilings and concreting.

Attached is a floor plan

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 05:28 PM
The metalworking area is to the left of the entrance and houses my cutof saw,welder and air compressor as well as storing a lot of my hand tools and pipe clamps.

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 05:34 PM
The main workshop has my workbench, Triton workcentre, router table, my portable electric tools, storage for jigs under the bench, clamps etc.

I have the phone connected, sink ( only cold water unfortunately ) and a permanent clean air line from the compressor.

This photo is looking in from the doorway.

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 05:42 PM
The next photo is looking back from the entrance to the new part. The triton has been modified with a tray at the bottom to stop the dust bag falling apart when it is moved. The old MK3 extension table is shortened and attached to the right as an extension table and an outfeed table is attached.

The router table has been modified - see separate post elsewhere.

The whole Triton set up can easily be separated and moved out of the way to make a large area available.

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 05:49 PM
This is the final view of the main area , the entrance door on the right is a folding door. The Triton sliding table is hanging in from of the bench out of the way. When in use the brackets they are hanging on folds down giving room to walk around it.

The pipe running through it is the shower drain and unfortunately can not be moved. I can walk under it but taller people would hit their head.

Peter

kenmil
9th September 2003, 05:50 PM
Peter,

Would you care to explain the ironing equipment ? Is that the price you have to pay ? or do you iron your own work clothes ?:D

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 05:56 PM
This is the left side of the new part. The bench machines are permanent and all will be connected to my dust collection.

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 06:03 PM
This is the right side of the new part. It shows the lathe, sanding machines and sharpening centre on the right. Not shown is the thicknesser which is on the centre isle between both photos

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 06:08 PM
The dust collector is outside the workshop underneath the house. I am altering the duct work and incorporating more blast gates to obtain shorter duct runs and still connect all machines.

This is a view from underneath the house at the back of the shop. Note the depth of the excavation.

Peter

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 06:19 PM
What next?

In making room for my new jointer ( fathers day present currently on order ) I lost my wood rack and I desparately need a clean room for finishing.

So I will reorganise and have a clean out of the stuff stored in two garden sheds 3m * 3m and use half of one as my wood store and the other I will make into a clean room.

Has anybody any ideas what I need in such room. I am thinking along the lines of insulating and lining walls and ceiling, shelving , bench and sink and exhaust fan. Any suggestions are welcome.

This I hope to have finished by Christmas.

I hope you enjoyed the tour of my workshop.

Peter.

Sturdee
9th September 2003, 06:24 PM
Ken,

When I was renovating the house I built a lot of cupboards of melamine. The irons are for ironing on the edge strips and veneer.

SWMBO does the ironing and as long as she does not put a crease in my workclothes she can continue in that department.

Regards

Peter

Wood Borer
9th September 2003, 07:00 PM
Sturdee,

What a well thought out workshop. It looks like it would inspire you to design and make almost the impossible.

- Wood Borer

rodm
9th September 2003, 09:46 PM
Certainly a lot of thought gone into your floor layout, benches and storage with everything easily accessable. Quite a novel idea to use under the house. Over here in the West the majority of houses are on a 4 inch concrete raft poured on the surface soil.
It would be a pleasure to escape under foot so to speak and crank up the machinery while the others are guts up watching TV.

cheers,
Rod

gatiep
10th September 2003, 12:18 AM
Peter

In your second last picture on the right next to the grinder seems to be a B&D Drill Bit Sharpener. If it is one, does it sharpen 1/8" ( 3 mm) bits OK. I got one as a present many years ago but it does the smaller drills with reversed rake on them.

Have fun

Daniel
10th September 2003, 01:13 AM
Peter

Good to see the workshop again and I see the compound saw is in place, is the duct work hooked up and if so how does it work with the saw.

I am thinking of building one of wayne,s mini cyclones and hooking my makita compound saw and other small tools up to it.

Daniel

Sturdee
10th September 2003, 06:17 PM
Rod

Quite a novel idea to use under the house.

I should mention that we are on a sloping block, the front of the house is level with the ground but the back is 7' high. Therefore it was logical to go underneath. Even with this advantage I still had to dig out about 350 wheelbarrows of clay.

Regards

Peter

Sturdee
10th September 2003, 06:23 PM
Gatiep

It is indeed a B&D Drill Bit Sharpener and I also got it as a present. It works okay but you have to be very careful to grind both sides the same time to get the point centered. Also they tend to overheat the bit. I mainly use it to get more life out of broken bits.

Regards

Peter

Sturdee
10th September 2003, 06:31 PM
Daniel

The duct work in the new part is complete but not in the main workshop.

The mitre saw box needs some modification , the main outlet needs to be lowered to the level of the bottom of the box and the back corners need to me angled instead of square.

With these alterations I think it will work well. In any case the dust will fall within the box and it will be easy to sweep it into the dust outlet.

Regards

Peter

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:25 PM
Folowing the installation of the jointer I have built and rearranged the shelving in both parts of the rear part of my workshop and built starage for the sanding beltsetc. next to the sanders. Note some of the dust collection duction has been built in to provide more tool hanging space.

here are some pics

Peter.

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:27 PM
and another view of the left section

Peter

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:29 PM
A view of the right section

Peter

Sturdee
15th November 2003, 07:30 PM
And another view of the same section. Note the floor sweep of the dust collector in the corner.

Peter.

snappperhead
16th November 2003, 03:45 PM
its very white and looks a bit like a laboratory.

DPB
16th November 2003, 06:32 PM
My friend, it is a laboratory - a gadget & jig production laboratory! At a very recent woodworking club meeting Peter was asked if he ever had time for woodworking.

His answer was something like, "What's that?" (Just kidding.):D

GCP310
17th November 2003, 09:33 AM
I totally love your setup. I work for a commercial joinery company doing CAD and feeding their CNC & Beamsaw with code, And even we dont have a more precise, easily accessible setup.

Your dust extraction setup puts many commercial setups to shame.

G

Caliban
17th November 2003, 08:12 PM
Peter
Mate, you're an inspiration. My workshop will also be under my house and at the moment I've moved probably fifty wheelbarrow loads of dirt out. I still have all the piers at mostly five or six foot intervals. Will have to use beams and removve a few. Any advice on this process? At the moment I have a dirt floor which is a pain. I'm very jealous but really inspired.
By the way what horsepower DC are you running to suck through all that ducting? Is it true that the flexible stuff you've used reduces efficiency?
Any advice you've got, I'll gladly accept.
Cheers
Jim.

Sturdee
17th November 2003, 10:21 PM
Hovo,

I have a 2HP DC with a 44 gal drum extractor which is outside the workshop under the house - see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3749&perpage=15&highlight=gallon%20and%20drum&pagenumber=10
Main duct work is 4" plastic pipe with blastgates at each take of with 4" or 3" flexible hose to the machines. There are a number of stop blast gates in the system to shut of sections of main ducting whilst not needed. Whilst a cyclone would be better it still works very efficiently.

Removing piers and strengthening bearers is not difficult but care must be taken. I bolted extra bearers on both sides of the existing ones, added new double thickness stumps and only then removed the old ones. Just make sure that the new bearers can take the load of the new span. If you want more info on this send me a pm.

Peter.

routermaniac
31st January 2005, 01:19 PM
Peter that is an AWESOME workshop. That is what I will aspire to when I have space and the time to start playing. WOW!!!

Sturdee
31st January 2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks, been doing a bit of reorganising and improving the layout etc. I have a few more things planned , when completed I might take some more pics if people are interested.

Peter.

numbat
31st January 2005, 09:27 PM
Of course we are interested - pls post more so that we can be inspired and jealous.

Cheers

gatiep
1st February 2005, 01:57 AM
Peter,

Yeah, some pics to show us how the new TSC-10HB fits into it!!! Any jigs for it yet?

Have a good week!

:)

Bubinga
1st February 2005, 02:00 AM
Looks good. Very well organized. I wish I had room to expand like that.
Rick

la Huerta
23rd July 2005, 11:09 AM
sturdee i did'nt know you lived in the greek isles, that's what your workshop reminds me of ...LOVE IT !!! the coolest workshop i have seen...

Hoppoz
30th September 2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks, been doing a bit of reorganising and improving the layout etc. I have a few more things planned , when completed I might take some more pics if people are interested.

Peter.

Peter

Interested to see those pics, I'm impressed with what you have shown already

Hoppoz

Wild Dingo
30th September 2007, 05:00 PM
Well... I reckon its probably a humdinger... if I could see the pics that is... but I cant so I'll take your word for it... WELL DONE!! :2tsup:

Sturdee
30th September 2007, 06:33 PM
Well... I reckon its probably a humdinger... if I could see the pics that is... but I cant so I'll take your word for it... WELL DONE!! :2tsup:

Don't know what happened to the earlier pics Shane, but I updated my workshop thread with this post (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15756) with new photos.

The updated thread also shows the links to my posts on how I made the various jigs and tools.

Peter.

wheelinround
1st October 2007, 10:43 AM
Small compact:doh: yeh every room

must be a hobbit (keep waiting for Golum to stick his head round the corner)

or dungeon dweller or maybe an old miner come back from the dead Sturdee.

:no: nah couldn't be everything would be black low light and dismal.

Now total every room sqft up and tell us the size:rolleyes: roughly my guess would be 28sq's+

now thats no small shed.:oo:

Sturdee
1st October 2007, 04:41 PM
Now total every room sqft up and tell us the size:rolleyes: roughly my guess would be 28sq's+

now thats no small shed.:oo:

Last count including the finishing shed, timber shed and cyclone area was 60 square metres and that doesn't include the extra storage space created since then further under the house.

Very compact, but very workable.

Peter.

munruben
1st October 2007, 10:16 PM
Well... I reckon its probably a humdinger... if I could see the pics that is... but I cant I dont see any pictures either. but it sounds really great.:2tsup:

wheelinround
2nd October 2007, 08:16 AM
Click on the link John in one of the posts by Sturdee takes you to the original.